General forums

Forum Description Discussions
Noticeboard
I will post general news and announcements. Be sure to set your preferences in Moodle to show you when there are new posts.

Learning forums

Topic Forum Description Discussions
General Discussion Area Questions About The Course

Put your questions of clarification in the forum so I can answer for the benefit of all students. Please allow this forum to act as a general FAQ for Human Rights and Literature.

Sharing resources, info, etc.

Did you find something cool about one of our novels or maybe one of the authors? Why not share it with the class for everyone's benefit. Maybe you found a useful resource for students to navigate these difficult times. Why not share with everyone? Let's make Human Rights and Literature a real ...

Any issues or errors? Let me know here

Is there a link that is not working? Tell me here. Also, feel free to share any general course feedback here during the semester.  

Session 8: Completing the course (Dec. 7 - Dec.10) Final Projects 7
Session 1: Intro (Sept. 9 - Sept. 11) Whole Class: Introductions

Please tell us a bit about yourself. You can feel free to include any and all information you would like to include. I'd love to know your hobbies, any pets, your major, why you enrolled in this particular course. Anything you want! 

I invite you to be creative in constructing your introduction....

Session 2: Novel as empathy builder (Sept. 14-18) Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

In this discussion forum, post your thoughts on this idea that the novel is a way to build empathy. Why are you convinced? Maybe you personally have experience with gaining empathy through reading stories. I know I have. Some of our novels we are reading this semester have made me cry (and at ...

Small group discussion: Practice close reading

In this discussion forum, your small groups will be able to discuss which passage of the book you like to do focus on for your close reading. 

Whole class discussion: Post your group wikis here

Did Lynn Hunt convince you that the novel is key to building empathy and fostering a desire to promote and protect human rights? It is ok, and I encourage you even, to be skeptic here (in fact, this course will allow us in our own engagement with compelling and powerful literature to test her ...

Session 3: The Hate U Give (Sept 21- Oct. 2) Whole Class: The Hate U Give Discussions

I have started some discussion threads for the class. Feel free to either get in on the questions I have posed or start your own discussion thread where you discuss any other aspect of the book on an issue, theme, or particular scene of the novel that spoke to you. 

Small group discussion: Passage for close reading

In this discussion forum, your small groups will be able to discuss which passage of the book you like to do focus on for your close reading. 

One person from each group should cut and paste their wiki into the discussion forum. You should read and evaluate each close reading and respond to at least one with constructive feedback. 

Session 4: Salvage the Bones (Oct. 5 - Oct. 16) Whole Class: Salvage the Bones Discussions

I have started some discussion threads for the class. Feel free to either get in on the questions I have posed or start your own discussion thread where you discuss any other aspect of the book on an issue, theme, or particular scene of the novel that spoke to you. 

Small Group: Your role in wiki 2

One person from each group should cut and paste their wiki into the discussion forum. You should read and evaluate each close reading and respond to at least one with constructive feedback. 

Session 6: Never Let Me Go (Nov. 2 - Nov. 20) Whole Class: Never Let Me Go Discussions

Small Group: Your role in wiki 0

Session 5: Indian Horse (Oct. 19 - Oct. 30) Whole Class: Indian Horse Discussions

Small Group: Your role in wiki 0

Session 7: Clade (Nov. 23 - Dec. 4) Whole Class: Clade Discussions