Whole Class: The Hate U Give Discussions

The cycle of Poverty and Crime

The cycle of Poverty and Crime

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Number of replies: 38

Khalil feels justified in dealing drugs because he needs the money to pay medical bills. What do you think of this decision? What does the novel tell us about the cycle of poverty and crime in society today? What are the solutions? Use the novel as much as possible to address this situation. 

In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

Re: The cycle of Poverty and Crime

by Elizabeth Miller -
I feel like Khalil's decision on selling drugs is what he had grown up learning about, because that what the people around him did to survive. His mom was an addict herself and it was not until Khalil's death did she feel the need to get clean, because of the way they grew up they felt that drugs' either selling or doing them was the only way out. It was a common occurrence throughout the book for the people who lived in poverty to but the ones to commit crime, that can be said for real life as well. Crime and poverty have always gone together. Maverick Cater, Starr's father broke the cycle of poverty and crime in his family being the son of a legendary gang member he grew up in the gang, but when he learned about his son Seven he started to clean up his act and after his three years in prison he never went back to the gang life and started to clean up his act, later getting the store that he owned in the book. With that being said it is possible to get out of the cycle of poetry and crime but it is extremely hard.
In reply to Elizabeth Miller

by Katherine Johnson -
I completely agree with you. Starr doesn't understand Khalil's choice at first because his mom was a drug addict, but as you point out, that also meant that drugs had been somewhat normalized for Khalil, even if he didn't approve of them. I think it's also notable that though Starr's dad managed to break the cycle of poverty and crime, he was only able to leave the gang because he was willing to go to jail on their behalf. DeVante is very disheartened to learn that there might not be a choice other then jail or death to leave behind drugs. However, he also learns to break the cycle, but only by testifying against King, which is also a very dangerous action. As you said, it's incredibly hard to break out of the cycle of poverty and crime. 
In reply to Katherine Johnson

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
Hey Katherine,
You made a good point about Khalil's mum! I do not think it is evident how impactful your childhood environment can be.

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
I agree with you Elizabeth on the point about Maverick breaking the cycle. I appreciated the portrayal of Maverick as someone who was born of a drug lord, was a drug dealer himself, did his time and became a changed man looking out for his family the “legal way” – having a real job. This shows and gives hope that the cycle is indeed breakable, although a lot of challenges will come in the way.

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Elizabeth!

I agree with your analysis! I find it sad that Khalil got sucked into the cycle when he disagreed with it so much simply because of his love for his addict mother. It proved how good of a person he was and how much he did not deserve to die. Further, I like how you talked about Big Mav, Starr's father and how he seemed to be the exception to the rule of never escaping the cycle of poverty and crime. I admired his character a great deal for how strong he was and how good of a role model he seemed to be for not only his own kids but to everyone in the community. Khalil and Devante both seemed to look up to him.
In reply to Paytra Waibel

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
Hey Paytra,
Just wanted to comment on a comment you made. Khalil was a great guy that was wrapped up in the wrong crowd, which happens often in the cycle of poverty, in any community. However, I think that no matter how good or bad a person is, this does not or should not determine whether or not they "deserve to die."

This opinion is often very controversial in arguments that often bring up dictators or capital punishment. Since most states no longer have capital punishment, even on figures who commit war crimes/genocide/crimes against humanity, etc., it is important to remember that even when people do bad things, we as a society have programs or attempt to implement programs that can help them, rather than just simply thinking "they did a bad thing =they are a bad person = they deserve to die."

by Emily Ashton -
Hi Elizabeth, I like that you included that Maverick broke the cycle, not only did he himself end his contribution to crime but he also took initiative to not let the poverty or values of crime present in Garden Heights affect the outcome of his children. The children are sent to Williamson to provide them with better education and safety, they assist at the store teaching them the values of laboured work and push them towards resources for a better life. This is also evident in how they clean up Devante. They provided him with work, shelter, and gave him punishment when he acted out. Great discussion!

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
Elizabeth,

Carter’s father was a major gang member, so he was considered a legacy member. Maverick shows us that it is not impossible to break the cycle, and as you mention first, it is hard to do so.

However, I think that Maverick had an easier "out" than other gang members do.

1) He was at the top - and it was lonely
Being a legacy, he knew what it was like at the top, and didn't think it was worth it. In these gangs, a lot of people are looking for "brotherhood" and a source of income, because they live in an environment where they do not have access to either. Because Maverick was a legacy gang member, he was welcomed by everyone at a young age into the group, and once he saw that his "so-called brothers" were willing to let him go to jail for them, he must have had an epiphany that being at the top is lonely, even though it appears welcoming. The reason why the other gang members are not so much willing to leave is most likely because they cannot afford to do so, and they want to know what inclusion feels like. They strive to "get to the top" and be one of the major players because it means more respect, responsibility and status. They can never realize how lonely it is at the top until they spend so much timing work to get there. Since Maverick had all of that without working towards that for himself (as a legacy), he did not feel the need or see the benefits to stay.

2) He had an opportunity that many other gang members did not have - a support system and a plan
Gangs make a lot of money and not all of them have the means outside of the gang to leave. Also, not everyone is a legacy like Carter, so they do not have the same respect and protections that he has, since they all had to "prove" their way in. Once you work hard to prove your way into a gang, it can also be difficult to want to leave since that false sense of brotherhood can feel realistic if you have no other support systems. This is why it is easier for Maverick to leave once he has a child because he knew he had to become a support system for Seven, especially since Iesha was not a good mum. So he gained a support system that was his son and his family role and made a plan to get income elsewhere. Since he had a lot of money from being on top of the gang, he didn't need to worry about financial risk like other members do if they choose to leave. (However, children are a very common reason to leave a gang and I am sure that many others left to support their children and broke the cycle that way as well. It just isn't mentioned in the story.)

Last semester, I did an analysis of Aboriginal gangs in Winnipeg, and it really helped me see the point of view from their perspective. Who better to ask about why people stay in gangs than gang members themselves?

Here is a Vice YouTube doc of the interviews where aboriginal gang members explain their situations.

Relating this back to Maverick, once you go against your gang, you are tossed to the side. That is the downside of "brotherhood". If you are not ALL IN, then you are out. Maverick, once he had a child, had new values that he did not share with his fellow brothers, and I think that is why he decided to break the cycle. So while having a child and going to jail are definitely reasons to break the poverty cycle, I feel it is necessary to dig deeper to understand why Maverick really wanted to leave.

by Nicole Leary -
Like Starr, my first thought on Khalil selling drugs is that he did not have to do it (170). My opinion here stems from the fact that I assume that other options exist and that they present effective alternatives to selling drugs. However, as Maverick notes, the people of Garden Heights live in a system that is designed against them (170). In this way, and based on what I've taken from the text, there were very few other options. This community faces a lot of underfunding, the schools are not adequately preparing the kids, and the jobs from corporate America either do not exist or not accessible for these people (170). Khalil worked at Maverick's store and yet still felt that he needed to sell drugs, as he often had to decide between lights and food (169). Moreover, Ms. Rosalie, his grandmother, notes that Khalil took responsibility for the bills around the house (65). Based on this, one can conclude that working at Maverick's store, though an honest job, was insufficient in meeting Khalil's needs and responsibilities. Furthermore, Thomas suggests throughout the book that for this community, it is not easy to live a comfortable life away from drugs. King had BMWs and other people were struggling to make ends meet. Readers can also see this when Maverick talks about his experiences after prison and when Starr recalls going out for supper with her father but that he did not eat. Devante also sheds some light on this issue and presents a compelling story to explain why he sold drugs. Specifically, he notes that the King Lords became like a family to him, supporting his family, making sure he ate, and had clothes to wear (238). The Kind Lords provided Devante with security and support that he was unable to find elsewhere. In particular, Devante says "it was just cool to have somebody take care of us for a change, instead of the other way around." (238). Both Devante and Khalil were trying to take care of themselves and others. For Devante, it was his mother and sisters, and for Khalil, it was his mother, brother, and grandmother. Poverty pushed both of these young men to the King Lords and into a life of selling drugs. That said, a spent life selling drugs should not be easier than following the law and getting a legal job, which is a systematic problem that desperately needs to be addressed. Do we really have the right to condemn people for breaking the law if we refuse to support them so that they can live a better life?
Khalil's mother was addicted to drugs, which made her an unreliable parent and source of income. She was unable to support her son or ill mother, instead, becoming another person to assist. In this way, Khalil was left to pick up some of this slack so that the bills could be paid. This individualistic, neo-liberal approach of trying to fix a problem within one's family without sufficient support from the state is not effective. In this way, I think that a possible solution would be state assistance to support these families so that these burdens do not fall onto the children. The cycles of crime and poverty appear to intersect, as to get out of poverty, these kids were becoming criminals. You should not have to trade one cycle for another. In this way, state intervention should come in the form of other legitimate and adequate options for these individuals so that these cycles can stop.
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Katherine Johnson -
I really like how you note that to get out of the cycle of poverty, you have to get into the cycle of crime. I agree that state assistance would be a valuable start to stopping both these cycles. I think the question you ask depends on a lot of different factors. I don't think that people should be punished for crimes that were "inevitable" or which they had no choice but to do. There is currently lots of controversy about people in this exact situation, who are imprisoned for non-violent drug-related crimes, and I personally believe that community recovery programs, including drug rehabilitation, financial support, etc should always be turned to before imprisonment. However, I also think that with drug dealers or gang members, rather than simply drug users, the line becomes blurrier. DeVante, for example, joined a gang that was associated not only with drugs but also with violence and killings. I wouldn't advocate that DeVante be jailed, but it's likely that most members joined for the same reasons he did, and many have undeniably committed violent acts on behalf of the gang. Where do we draw the line between imprisonment and community support for people who have committed violence on behalf of gangs? If DeVante had killed or harmed someone while in the gang but still wanted to leave, would our opinions about him change?
In reply to Katherine Johnson

by Nicole Leary -
You pose some really good questions to my question. I think that the point I was trying to get at here is that if support and assistance had been available beforehand, then these people might not be in gangs or selling drugs. This is not to say that those who commit violent crimes shouldn't go to prison but that prison is a reaction to violent crime rather than a way of addressing and preventing it, especially in a community like Garden Heights. So, had Devante killed or harmed someone, I think that owning up to one's acts and potentially going to prison is justified; however, what happens when and if he gets back into society? Again, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of options for him, which is likely another systematic gap, leading us backing into the cycle of crime and/or the cycle of poverty.
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Nicole, my first thought too was that Khalil did not have to sell drugs. I think on the face of it, it is easy to say that Khalil is not justified in his decision to sell drugs in order to be able to pay bills and fend for his family, especially looking at it from an outsider’s point of view. An outsider who has not had to fend for family and had selling drugs as the only option. This is evident on page 237 when Devante had been talking to Starr when she could not understand why Khalil would resort to selling drugs in the first place, knowing that it is what ruined his mother’s life. Devante explains that “Nobody really wanna do that sh**. Khalil ain’t have much of a choice.’ Starr looks at it from an outsider's point of view too as someone who had both parents taking care of her and not the other way around.
This indicates that young black folks that result to selling drugs and being a part of gangs do not really have any other options. It is always the only option they have at a chance at survival, which is ironic as this is a dangerous “line of work” that often leads to them being arrested and even worse, dead. So yes, I think he is justified – I am not saying it makes it right as again, this is looking at it from an outsider’s view.

by Marcos Edgar -
"It seems like they always talk about what he may have said, what he may have done, what he may not have done. I didn't know a dead person could be charged in his own murder, you know?"

I think this synthesizes Starr's main point: her frustration with the media's insistence to focus on whether Khalil was in a gang or dealt drugs, and whether this should be an admissible factor in his murder. The police begin to construct this narrative as early as their first questioning of Starr.

I think the inclusion that Khalil sold drugs to help his mother is a detail that should have been irrelevant to the case. It shouldn't have mattered to the public perception of him. The fact that the the police detectives and the interviewer were so consumed with this detail demonstrates the way that the public views victimization. There should not have to be this character virtue in order for people to sympathize with Khalil's murder.

Similarly, media outlets attached onto the idea that George Floyd was an alleged drug addict, that Breonna Taylor was an alleged drug dealer, that Jacob Blake was an alleged abuser, as if these would be some sort of mitigating factor in their murder. The idea that if you commit a crime, you are asking to be shot unarmed, is what I think Starr is trying to refute in her interview.

Anyway, I realize that I sort of hijacked this question, I just thought that this may be a point worth making.
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Paytra Waibel -
I love your analysis Mark! I really like how you incorporated current events such as the ruthless murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Jacob Blake. What happened to them in the media is exactly what happened to Khalil. The media focused on the cycle of poverty and crime that they were all allegedly involved in instead of focusing on their humanity. Very well said!
In reply to Paytra Waibel

by Marcos Edgar -
Thanks for the feedback, Paytra. The media indeed plays a huge role in shaping the way the public thinks, and this effect can be devastating sometimes. On poverty, it's my belief that the black community's efforts to escape from the cycle of poverty and crime cannot succeed until they are treated with the humanity they are deserved by government and by people. When you fear being shot unarmed like Khalid did, or are disenfranchised by antiquated systems, it becomes so much harder to succeed.
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Good stuff, Mark -- let's bring this discussion outside of the book and into the real world. How often do we see victim blaming in our society at large? Human trafficking victims are to blame if they knowingly got into the situation initially without having full information of what would happen to them. Victims of sexual assault and abuse are blamed if they have on revealing clothes, or if they do not scream out for help at the moment they are being attacked despite the fear they may be feeling. People of colour killed by cops are almost always portrayed as someone who had stolen something or was selling something illegally. Look at headlines in newspaper. When Brock Turner was charged with rape to which he was sentenced to 3 months in prison (and didn't even serve it all) headlines in the paper spoke about swimming athlete charged. Nice pics were shown in the papers and the judge said we can't let this incident ruin his life (to hell with the life of his victim!).

Contrast that with people of colour when charged with something or killed for that matter. We get headlines that are sensationalized with racist words like thugs and we get awful mugshots -- never anything to humanize the person.

So no, you didn't hijack the question -- you've expanded it and that is exactly what I want to see!

by Marcos Edgar -
Thanks for the feedback, Dr. DiPaolo. You draw some great parallels that I didn't even think to make. The book depicted an intense campaign of victim blaming perpetuated by the police department, justice system, and media. They all attempted to draw a narrative that Khalil deserved blame. Clearly, this discrimination by institution affects not only people of colour, but also women. It's definitely a scary world with the likes of Brock Turner roaming around free while black people are handed disproportionately exaggerated sentences for committing petty crimes, just because they don't have a system designed to benefit them at their disposal as a "Brock Turner" does.

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
I enjoyed analyzing this theme and would just like to add on - The solutions needed are solutions that come with action. Often times there is a lot of lip service payed to communities like Garden Heights but no action and actual service deliverance. I think in trying to combat such a cycle, it has to start with having the right leadership in place, one that will make sure there is more action than lip service. I do not think it is a complex problem to solve, however it is not one to be solved overnight either. I think there needs to be an adequate amount of resources allocated to such communities. At the end of the novel, Starr feels bad that her family has somewhat abandoned Garden Heights and has her feeling like they will not help the community. Maverick assures her on page 436 that they do not need to be staying in Garden Heights to make a difference, they just need to “give a damn”. I found this very powerful in that in order to assist these communities and in order to stop the cycle, we all need to “give a damn”.
In reply to Muchaneta Nyambuya

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Mucha!

I really like your analysis! I also found it upsetting that Starr seemed to think they were abandoning the community by moving out of it. I also think some of the neighbours thought this as well and blamed them for leaving. I think this is wrong. I agree with what you said, they don't need to be living in Garden Heights to "give a damn". I think this is a problem for our country as well. I think a lot of people don't think they can do anything to help this vast issue due to not living in the right area or what have you. I want people to begin to realize that to help and care you don't need to be next door, you just have to use your voice to speak out against these injustices and fight for what is right!
In reply to Muchaneta Nyambuya

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
I just want to add to this Mucha and Paytra,

It is truly difficult to help other people when you are stuck right there with them. The common expression is something like "put your oxygen mask on before helping other people with theirs, or else you'll die trying". We cannot save people from drowning if we are in the same sinking boat. This book highlights parallels for me from my youth that I do not like to think about. I can relate to Starr's double identity, and her need to support her people without leaving the community - because she feels it is betrayal.

So, I think it is important when Maverick says that they do not need to stay in the community to help save it, they just need to "give a damn." It is the same reason why doctors, lawyers, and psychologists help save us better when they are not close to us, and can remain impartial, even if they have been in similar scenarios.

by Jodi McKay -

When it comes to Khalil selling drugs, I believe he did so as he needed a way to make money (on pg.12 we learn that Khalil's grandma has cancer and he is also helping raise his older brother). He did what he had to do in order to survive. Growing up, Khalil watched his mother struggle with addiction (pg. 12), and she would not get clean until after her sons death. When you grow up around these situations, they become your 'normal'. Starr talks a lot in the book about how in Garden Heights, people do what they need to in order to survive. Starr leads us to the idea throughout the book that the deck is stacked against the people in Garden Heights from the time that they are born. 

The crime and poverty cycle is an idea that comes up through out the book. A really prominent example of this thought is when Starr is talking about her father Maverick, and how he broke that cycle. Maverick's dad was one of the biggest drug kings in Garden Heights and his son would later join the gang (pg. 174).  Starr then talks about her father going to prison (pg.119) and how he wasn't around for a lot of her "firsts", but her Uncle Carlos was always stepping in-after his release from prison, Maverick worked hard to break the cycle of poverty and trouble for his children. Maverick himself always mentions this is DeVante when he says "I was officially done with the King Lord shit, drug shit, all of it" (pg. 176). DeVante is also another important character to look at- he knows what he is doing is wrong and he wants to break the cycle of crime and poverty (which is requests Maverick's help with in chapter 10). The novel allows us to see that there are other options available, however, these circumstances and life paths are very hard to get out of once in, but it is not impossible. 

In reply to Jodi McKay

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Jodi!

I found Khalil's past one of the most important aspects of the book. I have to admit, in the beginning, before we learned that he was seeking the drugs to get his mother out of debt and help his family, I kind of judged him for getting into the same business that made his mom a stranger to him. When I learned the real reason it really made me take a step back and analyze my thought process. I feel like this is what happens in the real world too. The media never gives us the real, full story and so we are left to make a biased opinion on what we presume to know. Well done!

by Brianna Bourgeois -
Initially, when learning that Khalil was dealing drugs, my reaction was identical to that of Starr, “he didn’t have to sell drugs” (170). While that was my initial reaction, I quickly realized that I was not considering the many factors that may have influenced this—namely, the cycle of poverty and crime.

In a conversation with her father, Starr asks “why was he a drug dealer? Why are so many people in our neighborhood drug dealers?” to which Maverick explains the lack of opportunities in their community, and how it perpetuates the cycle of poverty and crime, where individuals feel they do not have any other options but to sell drugs in order to survive (169). It is easy to look at Khalil’s decision and see it as unjustifiable however, that would be to see the issue from a place of privilege. Khalil grew up watching his mother battle with addiction where she would “go clean a few weeks, decide she wants one more hit, then be back at it” (13). In short, witnessing addiction is all that Khalil ever knew and when he found out that his mother stole from King, he started selling drugs to pay back the debt (237). While Khalil did not want to sell drugs, he did so in order to protect his mother and support his family—therefore demonstrating how the cycle of poverty and crime is perpetuated, and how it is difficult to break.

Like Maverick explains, the Garden Heights community has a lack of opportunity. This allowed me to reflect on the fact that the first step in addressing the situation surrounding poverty and crime is to introduce programs in the community that look to address addiction and provide employment opportunities to help break the cycle. Instead of ignoring the issue and seeing it as a “choice” it is important to acknowledge the many factors that can lead to this decision, and for that reason, I do believe Khalil’s decision is justifiable.

by Emily Davis -
Although I don't agree with selling drugs, I can clearly see it being what he thought was his only option. Khalil was caring for his Grandmother and his drug addict mom who owed money in a community where there are not many opportunities for him to make money. His mother was unable to work and his grandmother was laid off for being sick, it would be hard to see a way out of that situation when seemingly the only option to make fast and good money would be to deal drugs. He was wrapped up into the cycle of poverty as a kid with no money to go to school or eat so then school becomes not an option so you can make money, but then with no education, you can't get a job that makes enough money to get out of poverty. Selling drugs, gangs, prison seems like an easier alternative.

by Annabelle Ruest -
The cycle of poverty has a direct correlation to crime everywhere we look. The lack of opportunities, whether it's while they're searching for jobs, the school system, or the medical system, black people have to face it, is one of the factors that contribute to that poverty. It is shown in The Hate U Give. You can see that Starr had better opportunities than Khalil (she goes to a great school, she was clothed, fed, etc.). Her parents were able to give her and her siblings a better education in a school away from Garden Heights, she was fed and Khalil wasn't as fortunate as she was (Starr explains this when Hailey shows her the two pictures, Khalil ate so much pizza and cake at Starr's birthday because he was hungry and probably didn't know when his next meal would be p. 339). He was going to public school, where he was exposed to the drugs and gangs, he didn't have the opportunity to know better because his Mom fell into the cycle of drugs and crime before he even had a chance (maybe she was trying to forget how life wasn't fair, and she didn't have the same opportunity, there's multiple factors that lead to addiction). Khalil didn't really have a choice because he never was given one. He saw the medical bills that needed to be paid so his Grandma could get better with the treatment she needed and on top of that he was forced to pay his mother's depth to King, because she was so far down that she couldn't do it herself and probably would've ended up dead if he didn't do what he did. He is an example of how a child had to grow faster than he should have because he had to protect the people that should've protected him because the system didn't help them with the resources they needed when it was the time (healthcare, job opportunities, etc.). The second picture (p.339) that Hailey showed Starr showed Khalil with cash in his hands, Starr saw someone who was happy to not have to worry about money as much anymore. To me it seems like Khalil was trying to not end in the same spot as his mother, and he never agreed to join a gang which to me shows he really didn't want to commit to that life, he just wanted to see the light of day for once. The solutions would be to change the system, private schools help in a way when you have the money, but if the government's funding would be better for public schools, kids in public schools would most likely have a better education. Healthcare and equal job opportunities are needed.

Racism in job opportunities is also contributing to poverty because black people have less opportunities for jobs that could help them escape it, but DeVante shows this when he explains the poor working conditions at McDonalds in Garden Heights. Starr's mom worked at the clinic, which was most likely one of the best jobs in Garden Heights, but again she had to go to school to become a nurse, and if you don't finish high school or have bad experiences with school because your school isn't up to the standards they should be, you are less likely to go further your education. It seems to me that the school system is the main reason why a lot of people fall into poverty, which is why the solution would be to change and invest in it.

by Mallory Martin -
I think it is easy as someone who doesn't understand the circumstances to look in and judge Khalil for dealing drugs. If you are never that desperate, then obviously you wouldn't be able to begin to understand why Khalili did what he did. For what Khalili was facing, with wanting to protect his mom and help his grandmother, I can see where someone growing up in that neighbourhood would resort to selling. In Criminology, we learn about labeling theory. Once someone is labeled deviant, then they act as their label. This may not have been the exact case for Khalili, but growing up around gangs and in a bad area, it gave him ease access to dealing. It was clear from what DeVante tells Starr, that this was not the life Khalili wanted for himself, and he was only doing what he felt he had to. The cycle of crime and poverty is a difficult cycle to break, especially for kids like Khalili who feel that it is their only option. The novel shows that the poverty is one of the leading factors to the crime that occurs. Although Starr's father offered Khalili a job, it was still not enough to help his grandmother and his mom. In order to help end this cycle, I think there should be better education system put in place for these communities. A good education can help lead to success and a good Job. That way, these kids wouldn't have to resort to thing like dealing to ensure that they can keep the lights on. A safe community centre might also help kids to get out of the toxic and criminal streets. If these kids had someone to look out for them from a younger age, they might be Able to be guided to a safer life style for their futures.
In reply to Mallory Martin

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
Absolutely Mallory! As a fellow crim student, I agree with your analysis of the labelling theory. Often, police are seen as ACAB (all cops are bastards) to vulnerable groups. Heck! The whole reason why Canada even established an RCMP was to "for the common good of the people" as professor Michael Boudreau puts it. (The "people" being white and "the common good" being the common good for the commonwealth.)
I think that police attempt to try to better their image by being "the friendly neighbourhood cop" which, if it actually was with good intentions, could help kids get educated about gangs and drugs and how to sustain a better life. However, social programs need to provide supports for families who end up in these situations, or else the education that police provide would mean nothing. Often times throughout our own history though, the police behaving friendly was only to deter "radicals" from "evil vices". They do not actually care about the kids because they are only looking out for "the common good of the 'people.'"
I think the cycle of poverty and crime is a huge theme in this novel and that Maverick hits the nail right on the head when he discusses the acronym for THUG LIFE. (More on that in the other discussion post.) Essentially, when you give people hate, you force obstacles in their path for no other reason but biases, discrimination, prejudice, and inequality. This causes people to look elsewhere for help to move around those obstacles that society forces into place. Drugs, prostitution, gambling, and trafficking are common paths that people go down when they are trapped in financial situations that they cannot get help out of. The banks are unforgiving and very reserved. Asking family members for a payout feels burdening and awkward. So instead, people go down dangerous paths because they have no options left because society fucked them over. Social programs that do not discriminate need to be in place to help aid people when they have nowhere else to turn to, but there are needs to be programs that PREVENT people from ever being in such a position.

by Annabelle Ruest -
Also a criminology student here! I totally agree with you on the labeling theory, and everything else! I also believe if there was programs to help people getting sober, like Khalil's mom, it would make it easier for people to get out as well as stay out. I feel like there is a need for that, and I think if there was more money put into the neighbourhood for the community, the neighbourhood would be a lot different.

by Brianna Bourgeois -
Hi Mallory,
I agree with all of your points and appreciate how you mentioned labeling theory and its application to the cycle of poverty and crime. In the novel, we are able to see the many inequalities faced by the Garden Heights community, namely the lack of opportunities that have forced individuals to turn to drug dealing and crime as a way to support themselves and their families. In relation to your mention of labelling theory, it is easy to judge someone for their decision to sell drugs and label them as “deviant”, but to judge them is to fail to acknowledge the various circumstances that may have influenced their choice. When Black communities have been set up to fail by a lack of opportunities and blatant discrimination, and individuals must turn to means such as drug dealing, the title of “deviant” is given to them when they should instead be provided with resources to help to break the cycle.
I agree that the education system must be improved, and that safe community centres would be beneficial in providing a place where children can go to escape a toxic environment. I also believe that criminal justice reform is necessary to address mass-incarceration, and to promote community-based social programs. From an outside perspective, it is easy to say that a solution to the problem is for people not to turn to crime however, it is evident that the cycle of poverty and crime is deeply woven into many communities, and it is necessary that resources, opportunities, and social programs are put into place to foster understanding, and to further lead to change.

by Emily Ashton -
Crime and poverty are a prominent theme in Angie Thomas’s The Hate U Give, more specifically in the Garden Heights community. It is more difficult to escape the cycle of crime and poverty passed down through generations than it is to repeat the cycle. When a community is impoverished and is not getting the opportunities, they need to escape poverty the easiest option is to turn to crime.
Being a King Lord in Garden Heights symbolizes power, respect, and wealth. The structure of Garden Heights is hierarchical, the King Lords and their families being at the top of the rank, following the Garden disciples then there is everyone else. The life of a King Lord is glamorized by society. This is evident on pages 203-204 when DeVante finds out Mavericks father is Big Don a notorious drug dealer from Garden Heights and responds as though he is a celebrity. Maverick was set to repeat the themes of crime and poverty passed down through generations in underdeveloped drug-filled communities like Garden Heights. Maverick became a King Lord when he was twelve and kinging brought more respect, money, luxury, and safety. (pg. 204) Maverick becoming a father was the thing that took him out of Kinging because he wanted to repeat the same cycle with his children that he endured, but it wasn’t easy he had to give up money, his connections and safety. (Pg 204) Even though Maverick has a strong connection to Garden Heights, him and Lisa took steps to not allow their children to become the bad things Garden Heights represents. They send the kids to Williamson to get quality education, make them work at the store to understand the importance of labor work, and punish them when they put themselves in situations of danger. We see this being repeated with DeVante, being involved with King and the Garden Disciples he was on a path to prison or death. (pg 205) Maverick and Carter stop the cycle DeVante was in by taking him in, giving him work at the store, and grounding him when he put himself in danger with King.
I think you have to understand these underlying factors before justifying Khalil’s decision to sell drugs. Yes, he did have a job at the store, but the minimum wage wasn’t adequate enough to support the necessities his family needed while paying for his grandmother’s medical bills. When the people you love are at risk, you aren’t necessarily thinking about what is morally right. He didn’t have a strong support system to guide him on the right path once his grandmother became sick. Most of those who were able to escape crime in Garden Heights still struggle due to little job opportunities, and on the other hand, those who commit to the life of crime have everything they need and more. I don’t think Khalil was thinking about the consequences of this lifestyle but yet the solutions it would bring. I don’t think it is okay that Khalil was selling drugs, however, given his situations and the circumstances he was under I understand how he felt justified.
I think it is really sad that it is easier to repeat the cycle of crime and poverty than it is to leave it and struggle. Once you enter, it is even harder to leave especially in underdeveloped areas that already don’t provide adequate numbers of jobs, quality educational, and government support. Sadly this is bigger than the novel and is represented in many real-life underdeveloped communities. We cannot know the solution to this without living it firsthand, but I think governments need to dedicate more attention to these communities and equip them with proper support such as mental, financial, and addiction counseling services as well as additional educational support. Why do we see art projects, entertainment centers, and corporate-based companies being funded in urbanized places before providing underdeveloped communities with the necessities needed for growth? This is more than an issue of 'lack of' funding.
(please note I have the ebook version of the text so it may not be the exact same pages as the physical copy, my apologies.) 

by Ashley Swaby -
I think this mindset within inner-city communities is very prevalent among youths. In situations where there are not a lot of opportunities for young people, it is not out of the ordinary for them to turn to criminal activities. This occurs because the opportunity exists, there are gangs that recruit young boys and girls who have unstable home lives. They provide a sense of family and source of income for children who have adult sized responsibilities and on one to depend on like Khalil. Stuck with the responsibilities of his grandmother's medical bills and his mother's debt caused by her addiction, he chose the only option available to him. This is the cycle of poverty and crime. Youngster involved in criminal activities who are not murdered as Khalil was, end up going to jail repeatedly. A criminal record make college and job opportunities low and so individuals like Khalil go back to to criminal activities, it is the only thing they know and it is available. Poverty creates criminality and criminality creates poverty.
It is difficult for me to say that I condemn Khalil for his drug dealing. He was teenager on his own, I cannot imagine the struggles associated with such a situation, so I cannot judge him based on the choice he made.

Starr has the opportunity to attend an upscale high school but this certainly is not the case for most inner-city youths. The differences in available resources and opportunities provided among schools play a huge role continuation of this cycle. I would suggest providing quality resources to all schools regardless of the community they are in. It makes absolutely no sense to me, that countries like the United States are concerned about crime, but allow situations like the underfunding of inner-city schools to continue.
In reply to Ashley Swaby

by Sara Lamk Saavedra -
Hi Ashley,

Your thoughts are so clear and I agree with all of them. I wanted to touch on Khalil's grandmother's case specifically as it shows how capitalism and the system are built to forget the poor classes. The irony of her working for a hospital, the same that is draining her from money and just stacking debt on her, while also not letting her work for the income. Healthcare comes up multiple times in the novel as something not quite affordable. For example, when DeVante gets beat by King, Chris's first reaction is to get him to the hospital but everyone else understood why DeVante would refuse.

I recently read another YA novel focusing on the underfunding of schools in the US in marginalized communities. The reality of many budges for education being cut for "security purposes" like the police force in high schools. The name is "Anger is a gift" by Mark Oshiro.

by Mary Gannon -
Khalil justifying dealing drugs with medical bills reminds me of the moral dilemma, it it okay to steal a loaf of bread to feed you family. The answer relies on the individual, however I think all can agree that an underlying issue of poverty is central to both.

While a solution could have been to seek out help from Starr’s father at the store, it was made clear that Khalil could not earn enough money solely working at the store. This also brings to light that Khalil could only manage to obtain a job through personal connections, rather than the normal route Williamson students can explore. I think this idea lends itself to the mindset Hailey has throughout the novel. Hailey is so quick to judge Khalil for his choices without factoring in the circumstances which led him there. Moreover, Hailey does not question the role of the police despite the fact that police are not justified or legally permitted to shoot Khalil even if he was guilty.

It seems to be clear that without experiencing poverty, it is hard to truly understand the struggles of every day life. This encompasses Hailey and other Williamson students privilege and ignorance as they do not understand poverty and therefore do not understand its fluidity with crime. Furthermore, students like Hailey cannot seem to grasp that they are equally culpable for the crime present in impoverished areas.

by Megan MacGregor -
Khalil's feelings regarding selling drugs to provide for his family are valid despite how Star may feel about the topic. When living in areas like this resources when struggling aren't exactly easy to access or even available at all especially with such a high demand for help in areas of poverty. The trouble with generational poverty, crime and mental health issues is that it is aggressive and hard to escape. Knowing how to break a cycle seems a lot easier as an outsider looking in like in Star's case. The issue with Star not understanding is quite basic, Star was not the one who broke the generational curse, Marshall did, but even so, someone thats broken it can even have a skewed opinion because the reality is everyones situations are complex and differ from one another. The novel tells us of ordinary people being placed in extraordinary situations where they can only do what they know to make it better for themselves and like in Khalil's case, they turn to crime or drugs to solve the issue. If people were able to access resources like food banks, rehab, financial aid more easily it would definitely help but it doesn't stop there. Providing proper education to youth in these areas while offering aid resulting in a better home life can be a great way to boost the next generation so they don't need this aid as well. I believe stability is the key in these situations.
In reply to Megan MacGregor

by Jordan Hendricks -
Hey Megan! I also agree that Stability is key to helping areas that are plagued by a cycle of crime and poverty!

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
I have noticed from some of the commenting and from Starr, herself is that 1) drugs are bad and selling them is bad and 2) Khalil "could have something else", and 3) they realize that they cannot understand what Khalil is going through because they probably did not grow up with drugs in the house, and grew up having enough money to not resort to drug dealing. I cannot speak for the students making comments from their initial thoughts, but I can speak on behave of Starr, where there were no drugs around and money was not an issue.

Most students on here have had a change of heart since reading other comments, but it is important to realize that without discussions such as these, those initial thoughts could have remained the same.

As someone who did grow up near the poverty line and shared a room with her brother as a teenager because we could not afford a place for all 6 of my family members, I have seen first hand how easy it is to resort to vices. When you can't get a job, and when you can't afford rent, or gas, or food, or other bad habits that you use to cope such as smokes or alcohol, it can be very appealing to do jobs that are under the table. The media makes drug dealing sound luxurious - like if you deal enough weed or cocaine, you can be a millionaire. We even see this in the novel since King has many BMW's and no amount of money is spared to support his family. Once you start dealing drugs, it can be easy to fall into a pattern because 1) it is hard to find work when your resume for x amount of time is blank - showcasing that you just appear lazy, and 2) it can be easy to start doing the drugs you deal since the opportunity is a constant and it makes selling drugs easier since you can relate to the clients, and you can personally attest to the "product" that you are selling.

So, real life versus this novel is quite a contrast. It can be easy to discuss this within a safe group of educated individuals, but it just as important to remember that in real life, whenever someone is dealing drugs, we should not judge them too harshly. There is almost always a valid reason for their actions, which can be helped with programs, rather than judgement.

The novel highlights the cycle of poverty and crime by showing us how hard it is to escape, especially without means or motivation. The solution is clear - we need more programs that target the primary issue, not exactly the problem itself. The problem should not be targetted head-on but should be analyzed so we know how to prevent the problem from occurring. Ex. instead of criminalizing drugs, we should provide more affordable needs such as food and housing, and accessible affordable supports such as counselling, or mental health and rehab centers. People cannot stop their habits and addictions without 3 things: 1) support system of people such as family, doctors, counsellors, etc. 2) aid to their initial problem, which lead them to drugs in the first place (affordable housing, counselling, maybe encouragement for a new club, sport, group of friends, partner, etc. if a minor or student is into it from peer pressure, etc.) 3) A plan using taught tools to deter them every time they have withdrawals. All 3 things require aid from some sort of government program or programs.
In reply to Jessie-Lynn Cross

by Jordan Hendricks -
I just wanted to say that I appreciate your comment and as someone who doesn't come from extreme poverty that it is easy for me to dismiss things as a simple solution. I appreciate that you took the time to explain why we shouldn't easily dismiss and how it can be fixed, even though that fix is not so simple!

by Jordan Hendricks -
Khalil’s justification of selling drugs is very simple in reality, A community such as Garden Heights where poverty and crime is rampant, it makes the most logical sense to partake in said crime to keep your family happy and safe to a degree. This is Khalil’s exact justification; it pays his mothers debt but also gives him a community that will protect hi and his mother if it is needed. However, it is not just this cycle of crime due to poverty we see in Khalil, but we see it in Maverick as well. Maverick joined the King Lords at twelve for protection from gang violence, gang violence that he was subjected to because his father was also part of a gang, and one of the biggest drug dealers in Garden heights. This protection and community is something that he appreciated, and this protection and community contributed to the community of Garden Heights as a whole. This protection is especially evident when a brick is thrown into and smashes the Carter Families window, and when the police cannot help, or potentially will not, help protect them, the King Lords take it upon themselves to do so. Even so, once joining a gang, it is especially difficult to leave, Maverick had to go to prison to even escape, thus becoming a felon and staining his reputation further within society, making it very difficult to support his family by getting a job. Therefore, with the inability to trust police to protect their community and abandoned by the rest of society, Garden Heights created its own system, however this system further traps Garden Heights in exactly what they want out of, a cycle of poverty and crime.

This directly reflects impoverished places within our own communities here in the West. People in these impoverished places have a lack of education, financial stability, etc. and thus turn to crime to provide for their family. If these places had the same resources available to them as any one of us do, they wouldn’t have to join gangs, sell drugs, or anything else for that matter to provide for themselves and their families with what they need to have a happy, healthy life. But it is more than likely easier said than done. With politicians ignoring these communities, a lack of a quality economy, police arresting and criminalizing residents, the poverty won’t end, and the crime will continue so that they can stay afloat.