Whole Class: The Hate U Give Discussions

The cop talk

The cop talk

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Number of replies: 32

Starr received the talk about what to do if stopped by a cop. This talk was so alarming for me to read as a privileged white woman. How does the talk come back to Starr throughout the novel? Feel free to discuss this conversation in general both in and outside of the novel. 

In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

Re: The cop talk

by Katherine Johnson -
I’m about halfway through the novel but there have already been more times than I can remember off the top of my head that this conversation has in some way been applicable to Starr’s life. Of course, the first time we hear about “the talk” is when Khalil is pulled over by a cop, and she fervently hopes that he was told everything she was. Even before Khalil gets shot, Starr’s mind is trying is going over everything her parents told her and trying to take in information like the officer’s badge and face in case the situation turns bad.
It’s clear that the police are a force of fear for Starr’s family, and even the parts of the novel that aren’t centered on Khalil’s murder demonstrate the impact this fear has on them. One of the most suspenseful moments in the novel was simply when a police car pulled alongside Seven in a multi-lane road. Though the police had no interest in Seven at that moment, the fear of both Starr and Seven was tangible because they knew that Seven was exactly the kind of person the police could pull over and kill for no reason at all, and that even if they followed the rules their parent taught them, they could die. Another terrifying moment in the novel is when Starr’s father and Mr. Lewis are stopped by the police for having an argument, and though both of them follow the rules Starr was taught exactly— immediately being calm, showing their hands, not making sudden moves, etc— Starr’s dad is still forced to the ground and it seems he could be killed any instant.
These moments in the novel make it clear that the talk Starr’s parents had with her was a necessity to keep her alive. It’s an awful reality that while Starr’s mom thought 12 was too young for the talk about police, Sekani receives the talk at 8 because it’s become clear that the consequences are very real and deadly. Throughout the novel, we feel that Starr and her family are constantly in danger, and this talk was given to them in the hopes that it would increase their chances of survival. The fact that any family must teach their children how to survive encounters with authority figures is horrifying, but this novel demonstrates again and again how real the situation is.
In reply to Katherine Johnson

by Minahil Fatima -
My thoughts exactly. Sekani getting the talk at 8 was especially heartbreaking. The talk is an example of preparation for bias in racial-ethnic socialization. What I find especially bothersome is the fact that the talk is considered a rite of passage. Getting the talk in this context essentially means that you've grown enough to be perceived as a threat. Sekani, at a mere 8 years is a threat to a fully grown policeman. Only because of his skin color. How degenerate have we gotten as a society that we must teach our children ways of survival when they encounter individuals who are meant to protect them.
In reply to Minahil Fatima

by Ashley Swaby -
Hi Minahil
I agree. Parents generally try to shelter their children from acts of violence. This is not however possible for all groups.
Some parents must expose their children to the harsh truth to prepare them for a world, that will be harsh for them

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Katherine!

I agree with you completely. I especially like how you incorporated when Seven and Starr pull up alongside a police cruiser. I forgot about this part and it is definitely a perfect example of how, even when the police are paying them no attention, the fear they have regarding the police force is real and powerful. It's the sad reality that must be changed in contemporary society.

by Paytra Waibel -
After finishing the Novel "The Hate U Give" written by Angie Thomas, I also found it alarming that Starr had almost every interaction with cops memorized and was reciting the best course of action in her head, planted there long ago by her parents at age 12.

As soon as the police sirens go off behind Khalil's vehicle, Starr immediately remembers the two "talks" she was given by her parents. The first was the regular birds and the bee's business, but the second was what to do if she ever was stopped by a police officer. Personally I find this super sad and irritating that young racial minorities need to learn to fear cops and how to best interact with them, as if Starr is actually the grown educated individual and the cop is some animal that needs to be dealt with lightly. As a society, it's horrendous to see just how badly police officers that are supposed to be protecting us, are doing just the opposite.

Another example of Starr's must-have knowledge regarding law enforcement happened when her father, Big Mav, got tangled up with two officers in front of his store. While having an innocent conversation with the man next door, two police officers drove up and proceeded to make Big Mav lay on the ground. I honestly thought on some level that the police were going to shoot him as well. In my opinion, the only reason why the situation did not escalate further was due to all the witnesses on the street. If it had been a dark night with no witnesses, like when Khalil was murdered, I have no doubt that Big Mav may not have lived to tell the tale. I also find it disgusting that the police did this to a grown man while his children, as young as 9, stood watching on the sidelines. It makes you wonder what type of reputation the cops in the Garden are trying to have on the population. Further, after this encounter, Big Mav had the cop talk with Sekani, his youngest child at the age of just 9.

Additionally, near the ending of the book when Starr, Seven, Chris, and DeVante and trying to get into the Garden, they keep being re-routed due to police check stops and road blocks. I also find this awful. The characters should not feel the need to turn around to avoid the police. Once the police check their Driver License and see their address, it is the law to allow the kids through the police stop and into the community as that is their permanent residence. The fact that the characters are so scared of police reaction and brutality that it takes them four times as long to enter the Garden is absurd.

Finally, Starr continuously has nightmares during the book in regard to the night Khalil was killed and officer 115. In my opinion Starr may even think that if Khalil had acted how her parents had taught her to act, the way she was thinking the entire time the situation was happening, Khalil may not have been killed. Of course, it was the cops fault and Starr clearly knows that, but I cannot help but think that Starr is thinking this on some level. This is also sad. It moves the narrative into victim blaming which should definitely not be happening in this case.

In conclusion, the fact that young racial minorities need to be taught to fear police in this day and age is terrible. Police, as an organization, are there to protect and serve the public, not to install fear in entire communities and murder innocent people. Until a time comes when children as young as 9 can believe the police are a good aspect to society, we as a nation are failing. Police need longer training programs. They need better background checks, and they require clearer and more effective punishments when they do wrong.
In reply to Paytra Waibel

by Sarah Hetherington -
Hi Paytra, I appreciate your mention of victim blaming. While the police have them stopped at the beginning of the novel, Starr is rehearsing the rules and following them while acknowledging that Khalil is not. It is obviously not Khalil's fault and he did nothing wrong but I know what you mean, I am sure Starr would have thought that "if only Khalil stayed quiet.. stayed still...", which is very sad. Thanks for bringing that up.
In reply to Sarah Hetherington

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Sarah!

Thanks for your feedback! I thought this part was particularly important. It is so frustrating that Starr and Khalil had to be so afraid of the police. Further this happens in every day society as well. It makes me upset that this kind of victim blaming can be such a big part of their death when the officer is clearly the one at fault.

by Katherine Johnson -
Hi Paytra!
Thanks for your great analysis. When Starr's dad was approached by cops and forced onto the ground I also felt like he could easily have been killed-- the only thing that stopped me from entirely thinking about that was knowing that as a fictional novel, it would just be too much for the author to unpack. I think that your point about what kind of reputation these cops want to have is really profound-- at that point, they knew the entire nation was watching them but felt no qualms about displaying brutality once again. I agree with you; without the witnesses, Starr's dad could easily have been murdered. However, in the novel, they say that the police only targeted him because they knew Starr was speaking out against them. The characters took this violence essentially as a threat against Starr's family by the police. What does this say about our legal system? What does it say about these cops' capacity for violence and their desire for pure control/power?

by Megan MacGregor -
This analysis of the book is really great! I really appreciate that you talked about victim blaming, I had a hard time stomaching the thought of a person having their life taken and blaming the victim was something that I had a hard time sitting with. The idea that not all life is precious to some people is a difficult thing when it's rooted in hatred, and criminalizing the victim as a way to say that it was okay and justified allows the justice system to freely kill people without repercussions. Something else I noted is that neither Khalil or Hailey has this type of talk with their parents, and it shows three different realities that people live in and the consequences associated. Lastly, I'm really glad you mentioned the dreams Star was having, I felt that there was no compassion for her and what she witnessed. Hailey in particular had no empathy for Star over Khalil even though she watched what could be considered one of the most traumatic scenarios to witness and yet Hailey has no care as to how Star is even though she is an innocent bystander.

by Sarah Hetherington -
The “cop talk” is brought up again and again throughout the novel. It is something that has stuck with Starr, and horrifyingly seems necessary to her survival. We first see her rehearsing how her behaviour should be around police officers when her and Khalil are pulled over. She retells that she had to have this talk with her parents at only 12 years old. No sudden moves, hands visible, only speak when you are spoken to. We see Khalil break these “rules”, and that results in his death. It is so alarming how these small ways of acting can result in your death if you are a POC. One of the things Starr's father tells her is to always look for the officer’s badge number, and this is reinforced through the novel as she solely refers to the officer as one- fifteen. These “rules” are brought up again when she must give her statement to police, and when the police are doing a road check on her mom, even though she is in a calm and supposedly safe setting during these, she still, almost as if it is second nature, rehearses these behaviours. They are brought up as well when her and Seven are at a red light beside cops and feel the need to stay still and turn their music down. Sekani does not understand at this point in the novel, but heartbreakingly has to have his own talk at only 8 with his parents. As a child, these horrifying realities needed to be described to him, for his own safety.

The scariest part of this is these “cop talks” are not fiction. These are real talks that POC parents are forced to have with their children. It is almost to me as if Black children must grow up faster. When I was 12, I don’t know if there were any major forms of discrimination, I was even aware of in the world, at least not to a large extent, and certainly not any that affected me personally. The fact that it is necessary to teach this fear of law enforcement and truth of racism to Black children before they are even teenagers, makes them face the sad reality of the world long before white children do, if they ever do. It is not something I will ever have to worry about for myself, or my children in the future, and my heart breaks for the parents who have to have this talk. I too, am shocked by my own white privilege. My little happiness bubble of the world being perfect was not burst until I was much older than 12, and some white people’s bubbles are never burst. This is because as white people, we have the OPTION to IGNORE the discrimination if we want to, and it is easier to do so. Black people are forced to confront it, because it is their lives, every day. And beyond that, they are forced to confront it as children. It is heartbreaking.

Also side note: Just because it is easier to ignore racism as white people certainly does NOT mean we should, if Black people have no possible way to ignore it, then we shouldn't ignore it either. It is a privilege to be able to pay no attention to racism.

by Hilary Foster -
This is a part of the novel that was also alarming for me. This reminds me of a youtube video I watched this summer about a father telling his eight year old daughter what to say when she encounters a police officer, and it is absolutely heartbreaking that this needs to be addressed at such a young age, when kids are supposed to play and explore and be creative. I figured I would provide the link to the video for anyone that wants to watch ( ).
In reply to Hilary Foster

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hey Hilary,
I've seen this video before, and just like you said it's heartbreaking. It shows that this is not an isolated issue, and the fact that black parents have to do this shows that there's an issue in the system. Starr gives reference to the 'cop talk' all throughout the book, and just like we see it in the book, this reference probably is in every black person's head in every situation where they encounter an 'authority figure' just like Starr referred to it. Yet with all the proof in the world, and the system as yet to change.

by Minahil Fatima -
Wow. This is heartbreaking and just so so wrong. There should not be a need for this video to exist. No 8-year-old should have a memorized response regarding how to deal with the police. Black parents fear for their children and Black children fear for their parents. It's trauma and pain and words of caution that get passed down from generation to generation.

I agree with the lady's point about just starting over. I don't think that the existing system of policing can be fixed. It's foundations made it so it was never meant to protect Black people and it's obviously failing to do a job it was never meant for.

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Hi Hillary!
Although this video is truly heartbreaking, it is the reality of many and I appreciate you sharing it. When a child is supposed to be out playing with friends or doing what other children her age should be doing, she is learning the essentials for survival based on her skin color. It amazed me in the novel when Starr and her siblings received 'the talk'. Its not the everyday talk that in normal circumstances, children receive. It really tore me apart when they had to recite those lines but it showed the realness of the issue. Although I feel that same talk perhaps would have saved Khalil's life, it in no way negates the actions of the police officer as black people should not have to 'conform' or surrender at the hands of police officers - not when they have not done anything and certainly not even when they have skipped a traffic light. It does not warrant the treatment they get.

by Anna Sirois -
Hi Hilary,

Thanks for sharing this video! It takes the cop talk we read about in the book and gives us real people going through the same talk. For those of us who are white, the cop talk is often unknown to us because it's not something we've ever had to worry about in our personal lives because of our white privilege. Books like "The Hate U Give" and this video are great for white people to understand what others go through so they can do better at dismantling racism in their own lives. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes books and videos to have empathy for other people who experience racism.

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
This video almost made me cry. It makes me think of how hard it is in every household to have the discussion where your kids could die, your parents could die, your family could die, and your friends could die. In the novel and in real life, there are "cop talks" where parents discuss what to do when answering to the police as a black person. Often, the guardians will discuss the personal interactions that they have had with the police. This video is a small snip bit into the homes of every black family across the US and in Canada, and across the world. To listen to your parents about how they have almost died from the physical abuse of an institution that is meant to protect humanity is horrifying and would make any little kid, teenager, or even us adults cry. I cried a lot in June this year seeing even the slightest bad thing about the police because the harms that they cause in black communities are massive and often they go unchecked!

One woman in the video that stood out to me was the one that recommended that diversity training become a monthly requirement which I agree with because police officers often forget their place in society - to protected and not to harm. To save and not to hurt.

Thanks for sharing this Hilary!

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
Hi Sarah,
I like how you pointed that it is almost as if black children must grow up faster because it really does seem like that. As soon as a black child is able to understand their surroundings they become aware of how the world views them and that they must act accordingly. Starr was given the cop talk at 12 but Sekani is given the talk at 8. This shows how as society progresses, it's view of black individuals doesn't. Issues are more direct so black children have to be warned earlier. I also took note of when Starr and her mother were going back to Garden Heights and she starts reciting to herself "keep your hands visible, no sudden move" (163). She becomes more conscious of actions and tries to do everything right, just like her father warned her but even then she thinks about how they could "leave us like Khalil". It is at these instances when approached or noticed by a law enforcement, the people set to protect you, black persons are most alert and fearful. They seem to think about their every action as they attempt to make it right even though there is no right because of their skin color.

by Emily Davis -
The talk she received from her parents at a young age clearly made her fearful whenever passing a cop. She was taught to keep her hand on the dashboard, answer each of their questions politely, make no sudden movements and to tell them exactly what you're doing and where you're reaching when asked to get out ID and registration. When her and Khalil get pulled over she tries to do everything right, and tries to get Khalil to follow through. Although he doesn't do everything perfectly he is still acting no differently then a person should when getting pulled over. Seeing that nothing was done wrong and even her rules when it comes to cops didn't work and still got her friend murdered and a gun pointed at herself. From then on whenever her family passes through a roadblock or the cops approach her father on the street you can see the fear. The talk never leaves her mind yet she is still scared even when she does everything right now that she has seen the extent of police brutality. She is aware that this is nothing her friends or boyfriend at Williamson would ever have to worry about.

by Brianna Bourgeois -
At the beginning of chapter two, Starr recounts how when she turned twelve she was given the talk about what to do if she was ever stopped by a police officer. She was told “keep your hands visible. Don’t make any sudden moves. Only speak when they speak to you” (20). Further, Starr explains that she knew this conversation was serious as “Daddy has the biggest mouth of anybody I know, and if he said to be quiet, I needed to be quiet” (20). From a young age, it was engrained in her mind to fear cops and to follow the instructions given by her parents to limit her chance of being victimized at the hands of a police officer. Police are supposed to protect the public and to be the first people to respond when an issue arises however, for racial minorities, that is often not the case. It is equally heartbreaking and horrifying that from a young age, racial minorities are taught to fear the police. No child should have to grow up knowing that at any moment, their loved ones or themselves could be killed by those who are supposed to protect them. No one should have to fear for their life because of the colour of their skin.
In chapter eleven, when Maverick and Mr. Lewis are arguing, a police patrol car shows up and confronts them, while Starr observes. She notices that the police officers hands “linger too close to the guns at their waists” and that her fathers hands that were once in his pockets are “visible at his sides” (191). After Mr. Lewis responds to the officers when asked what is going on, Starr notes that “his parents must’ve had the talk with him when he was twelve” as his voice was “much softer than [it was] minutes ago” (191). Following this, Maverick is held on the ground and searched by the officers before being let go. While Maverick was able to get away, he very easily could have been killed, simply for the colour of his skin. I found it particularly chilling that the first thing that Starr is forced to notice is that the police officers hands are close to their guns, and that Maverick and Mr. Lewis are following the "instructions" from the cop talk.

Throughout the novel, Starr’s experiences help to depict a heartbreaking reality that people of colour are forced to face everyday. It is evident both in the novel, and in real-life that police reform is needed. While the stories in the novel may be fictitious, the issue surrounding police brutality and systemic racism is far from fiction. Change must be made so that no child has to grow up and learn how to act when stopped by a cop, so that they do not fear for their life around those who are supposed to protect them, and so that their loved ones, or themselves, do not fall victim to police brutality.
In reply to Brianna Bourgeois

by Emily Ashton -
I think you did a good job capturing how the cop talk is "engraved" in her head, I think that was a good way of putting it. It is really sad that a child who should be no threat to a grown trained police officer has to adapt to this mindset as a child.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Let's move this discussion outside of the novel and talk about what police departments in our society need to do to change, ASAP. If you could make a list of demands on the police in Canada and the USA, what would that list entail and why?

by Paytra Waibel -
In regard to what police departments in our society need to do to change, I would say an extremely long list is required. However a few to begin would be:
-Longer police programs to better educate potential officers
-More defined and definitive punishments for officers that do wrong, some officers are on a serious power trip which needs to end
-More strict supervision by superiors and perhaps more analysis of procedures by outside sources
-Hiring more minority officers
-Officers giving receipts to individuals for every interaction with the public
-Eradication of the "being the above the law" that some officers beleive
-Quarterly (or perhaps even more frequently) one-on-one check-ins with supervisors
-Making it a requirement that police are never alone while on patrol. (If officer 115 hadn't been alone, maybe Khalil would not have been shot or there would have at least been another witness)

by Emily Ashton -
I think this is a great list! Here are some other things I thought about.
- More educational training on BIPOC, LQBTQIA+, mental health, etc.
- More case studies/ research done surrounding Police Brutality & Police Biases- I remember learning about a study in Criminal Justice last year where they used cardboard cutouts of Black and White people some armed and some unarmed. The conclusion for civilians AND police officers was that they were quicker to shoot the cardboard cutouts of Black people (armed or not) than they were to shoot the unarmed White cardboard cutouts. (This is so heartbreaking and frustrating) I think these studies are important for understanding how prevalent racial biases are in the police force. I searched for a while trying to find the study to link it but I couldn't find it if anyone knows what the experiment was called!
-required body cams (audio & visual recording)
- reforming the jurisdictions of the police and including more trained occupations to assist when necessary (social workers & psychology professionals for mental health checks/calls)
- A third party perhaps lawyers that work as mediators when someone thinks they are unfairly being arrested.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Katherine Johnson -
I think that both these lists are very good. I wonder if better trainings, etc, are enough, however. I personally believe that complete reform is needed alongside new trainings. Emily's suggestion of including more trained occupations is certainly a good start. I do think we should consider that in the close encounters Starr has with police in the novel, they hadn't been called by anyone-- they were driving around specifically looking for people to stop. Unless an increased education is enough to completely change every cops' way of thinking, which I don't believe it is, I don't see violence stopping when they are patrolling. I once read an account of someone who drove around with an officer and saw how by the end of the night, the police were bored and essentially looking for a conflict they could escalate.
I would suggest everything that was mentioned by Paytra and Emily above, but I would add that complete consequence for their actions is a must for police reform. Police aren't afraid to harass, hurt, or kill people because they know that even when it gets nationwide attention, they're almost completely immune. They always get off the hook, and that sends the message to all police that this behavior is acceptable (and maybe even encouraged). Therefore, I think that police reform must include complete accountability and correlating consequence for any and all crimes they commit. Even if every police precinct completely reformed, people outside of police organizations would have to hold them accountable for violence to stop, and I don't believe we're anywhere near that goal. 

by Sara Lamk Saavedra -
I agree with you, Katherine! I believe there needs to be a complete reform. The system of police needs so many reforms not only in Canada and the US but the whole world. Chile for example is experiencing humans rights allegation against the police force for the excess of force without reason. And because of this, I think one of the biggest things is training on de-escalation without fire-arms. In my opinion, police forces are biased first of all to the government they are serving but also I think a complex of superiority to the rest of the people s created. They are supposed to serve and protect, but how many times have they harmed more than help. And how many of those are towards marginalized society. I believe defunding the police is also an important course of action. I believe communities should get more money on resources like education, social workers, mental health services, drug prevention programs, etc.

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Both lists are good Paytra and Emily!
I agree with you Katherine, that there needs to be consequences set in place for the actions of the police otherwise really, the list for reform might just be that - a list.
I think there's a lack of accountability, like you said Katherine, they get off the hook and are able to just walk away with a warning at most. This gives off the impression that police officers are above the law and that they have absolute power. Members of the public, especially those who are often targeted by police officers, are constantly living in fear, the fear we see so much throughout the novel. It is ironic that the same people meant to protect communities, are the ones instilling the fear are the ones people should be protected from.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Sara Lamk Saavedra -
Hi Emily,

I love your point on education and training on BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ communities. I believe is important for the forces to recognize and learn the history of rivalry and reason why so many marginalized communities have an untrusting relationship towards them. The truth is this behaviour doesn't come out of thin air, but roots from racism, homophobia, classism, colonization and other problems.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
Hi Emily,
I agree with you that education is definitely needed. I think police officers should undergo bias checks and bias training before they allowed to operate a weapon for the sake of law enforcement.
I also agree with the body cams suggestion but if I remember correctly some police uniforms and vehicles in the United States are equipped with cameras however they are able to turn them off for privacy concerns. I think police officers should have to give an account for every instance that they turn off their body cameras.
Also with the footage of police brutality there will need to be measures in place to ensure accountability because often times the state sides with police officers in cases even when they are clearly at fault. 
Police officers should also be placed in pairs when on patrol. Maybe putting an individual from a minority group in each pair may help.
Also many times a police offer is under review, they are suspended with pay, i think this needs to change. There should be immediate suspension without pay if a police officer is under review for matters as such. There should be some immediate consequence for police officers.

by Anna Sirois -
This summer there were many black deaths at the hands of police officers, and following it, there was a rise of conversations and hashtags around defunding the police. In my state (Maine), I saw many clashes between supporting "black" and "blue" lives in support of either black people or police officers. Many white people, especially those with family members in law enforcement, took BLM defensively and highlighted how good of a person their parent or family member was, instead of supporting BLM directly. When black voices in my community were raised, they were met with louder voices of white people questioning why "their lives" didn't matter all of the sudden, or that "blue lives" matter just as much as black lives. Although there were vigils and protests being held within my mostly-white community, there was also a subtle rise in the number of confederate flags in people's yards, and flags with the blue stripe in the center to represent the risks police officers take in their job position. It was the first time I noticed the flag with a blue stripe on police cars in response to BLM as well. What I was extremely disturbing, especially as a liberal arts student with compassion. It was more disturbing to see police get worried about a small-town vigil for BLM and not question the confederate flag being raised. Around the U.S., however, many BLM protests were met with police violence that directly reflects what was shown in "The Hate U Give." This book is extremely relevant.

Based on this, I think one of the answers is to defund the police. The second would be to increase training for police on systemic racism, then reprimand and fire officers who do not act 1) lawfully, 2) respectfully. (There is a lot of questions around what police can do lawfully, though). Police should not be the go-to call for things such as substance abuse, addiction, home "check-ins," mental health check ins, and among various others that could be done by another professional in a different field. Additionally, police officers, similar to the Standford prison experiment, get too used to their power and that makes them end up hurting or killing others.

by Sarah Hetherington -
I think most people hit the mark on the head already with suggesting increasing training especially specialized training in mental health/BIPOC, more accountability including body cameras and supervision etc. As others mentioned as well though, there needs to be real reform and defunding of the police to see real change. Though these training changes and smaller changes within the police force would help, something big needs to occur to fix the damage the police currently bring. I saw a quote that was from a former police chief in the states that said in short: we are putting all societal failures on cops to handle, and we are asking cops to do too much, policing was never meant to solve all these problems. Mental health issues are not a cop issue, they should not be. Dealing with people with disabilities is not a cops job. Substance abuse should be treated as a health issue not a criminal one. They are not trained enough to deal with these issues properly. Funding needs to pour into other facets of our society to help the issues, instead of giving the police too much money to deal with too many things inadequately. Funding needs to go to mental health services, affordable housing, education, and substance abuse treatment, and less needs to go to the police.

by Dorcas Tshimenga -
This part of the book hit home for me, my parents gave me and my sister and brothers this talk. It was the first serious conversations parent had with us and in a sense it strips from your innocence because you start to live in fear.

It was a random Wednesday night and my dad didn't come back from work that day my mom was in a panic and called everyone she knew and nobody seemed to have the answers to my fathers whereabouts. The next morning my father came back home. That random Wednesday night my father got pulled over because he was racially profiled (they had mistaken him for another black man who had a criminal record) He had to spend the night he jail because he couldn't 'properly' articulate the misunderstanding (my father has an African accent people to discredit him or grow impatient when they notice his foreign accent ) .

After this incident my father talk to my siblings and I about how to walk in a store, how to act around an officer, what to wear when shopping, how it was dangerous to have a bookbag in a store, how to code switch etc...
I was 9 years old my siblings were a bit younger or around that age, later on, my father would give us that lecture every year, we heard it so often we got to a point were we knew it by heart we knew it better than any cartoon or any song.
In the book Starr states that "The other talk was about what to do if a cop stopped me. Momma fussed and told Daddy I was too young for that. He argued that I wasn't too you to get arrested or shot" I feel like that's the same perspective my father had in mind we he first gave us the talk it. Later on in the book Starr is questioned by a few officers about the incident with Khalil. After the interview she felt as if there wasn't going to be justice for the death of Khalil, She used the advice from her fathers 'cop talk' to answer the questions carefully and calmly she says to herself "Keep your hands visible. No sudden moves. Only speak when spoken to" When she interacts with officer she in more self aware of her movements, body language ,her words etc.. I can relate in a sense that the 'cop advice' is a tool I often use and know by heart my younger brother whose 15 lives by my father advice he also more paranoid and self conscience around officers.
I feel like because I can relate to the book it makes it heavier to read, Starr's experience represents the struggles (racism, oppressions, police brutality) that many people from the black community have faced and or are still facing.
In reply to Dorcas Tshimenga

by Sarah Hetherington -
Hi Dorcas, thank you so much for sharing something so personal. That is heartbreaking that you had to receive that talk, I am sorry you had to be let into that reality at such a young age. Thank you for wanting to share.