Whole Class: The Hate U Give Discussions

The cop talk

Re: The cop talk

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
Number of replies: 0
This video almost made me cry. It makes me think of how hard it is in every household to have the discussion where your kids could die, your parents could die, your family could die, and your friends could die. In the novel and in real life, there are "cop talks" where parents discuss what to do when answering to the police as a black person. Often, the guardians will discuss the personal interactions that they have had with the police. This video is a small snip bit into the homes of every black family across the US and in Canada, and across the world. To listen to your parents about how they have almost died from the physical abuse of an institution that is meant to protect humanity is horrifying and would make any little kid, teenager, or even us adults cry. I cried a lot in June this year seeing even the slightest bad thing about the police because the harms that they cause in black communities are massive and often they go unchecked!

One woman in the video that stood out to me was the one that recommended that diversity training become a monthly requirement which I agree with because police officers often forget their place in society - to protected and not to harm. To save and not to hurt.

Thanks for sharing this Hilary!