Whole Class: The Hate U Give Discussions

Starr's identity

Starr's identity

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Number of replies: 25

Starr feels like she has two identities. Discuss the impact of this on her as a Black woman. 

In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

Re: Starr's identity

by Minahil Fatima -
Starr feels as if she's being stretched between two worlds throughout The Hate U Give—namely, that of the poor, primarily black Garden Heights, and the affluent, primarily white Williamson Prep. One is her home whereas the other is in some ways her ticket out of that home. Angie Thomas explores the tension felt by characters of color who must navigate the boundary between who they are and how the outside world portrays them. In doing so, she evokes scholar W. E. B. Du Bois’ famous notion of “double consciousness,” the sensation of “two-ness” experienced by black individuals seeing themselves through the eyes of a racist society. The experience of being black in America has devalued blackness for its entire history. Black identity is split between the way black individuals perceive themselves and the way they know the white world will view them, creating a sense of internal conflict. For so long, non-black individuals have been fed this stereotypical image of black individuals that portrays them as a caricature of who they really are, and more often than not, black individuals fear that they have to maintain a certain presence lest they fall into that stereotype.

From the time she steps into Big D’s party at the beginning of the novel, Starr makes it clear that she feels there are two “versions” of herself. She negotiates the boundary between “Williamson Starr” and Garden Heights Starr, not fully comfortable with either identity and frequently shifting her tone and vocabulary based on her audience. “I don't talk like me or sound like me,” she says of the way she behaves beyond the boundaries of her neighborhood. “I choose every word carefully and make sure I pronounce them well. I can never, ever let anyone think I'm ghetto.”

Lisa and Maverick engage in this sort of code-switching too. When Lisa is talking to the District Attorney on the phone, for example, she “speaks in her ‘other voice.’” On the way to Starr’s network news interview, Lisa also gives her children specific instructions as to how to act: “When we get there, don’t touch anything and only speak when somebody speaks to you. It’s ‘yes, ma’am’ and ‘yes, sir’ or ‘no, ma’am’ and ‘no, sir.’” Starr further observes that her family has dressed up so as to not look like “hood rats.” The Carters know they must speak, dress, and behave a certain way in a world that prioritizes white conceptions of respectability. Much like “the talk” the Carter children receive about how to act in front of police officers, this code-switching is a measure of self-protection in a society that dismisses and criminalizes blackness.

Other characters must also contend with competing pulls on their identities as a consequence of prejudice. Maverick, for example, is a former felon but also a father and activist. Khalil is a drug dealer, but also a desperate young man forced to take care of his own mother. DeVante is a gang member, but also a video-game loving teen trying to support his family. While Starr is easily able to reconcile all these facets of their lives, society flattens black identity and in effect robs black individuals of their full humanity. The media is quick to label Khalil a “thug,” for example, and to use a photo of him that aligns with racist narratives about poor black communities. Maverick calls this photo “Khalil's thugshot.” By turning all black kids into threats, the media is more easily able to dismiss the violence they face as the victims’ own doing. As Starr points out, it is as if Khalil is on trial for his own murder. Starr, meanwhile, begins a Tumblr blog devoted to showing the world the Khalil she knew. Thomas ultimately presents blackness itself as a multifaceted and often contradictory identity, complicating the stereotypical assumptions thrust upon Starr, her family, and Garden Heights at large.

Constantly having to switch between two versions of yourself, dilutes who you really are and in the end, you feel as if you're trapped. I know that feeling as a woman of color and I am sure Starr is aware of this as well. Black women not only have to see themselves through the lens of blackness and whiteness but also through the lens of patriarchy. Whenever they are in black spaces, women still have to situate themselves in the context of patriarchy. Whenever they are in feminine spaces, they must still situate themselves in the context of their blackness. Deborah Gray White puts it best when she writes, "African American women are confronted with an impossible task. If she is rescued from the myth of the negro, the myth of the woman traps her. If she escapes the myth of the women, the myth of the negro still ensnares her".
In reply to Minahil Fatima

by Jodi McKay -
Minahil,
I just wanted to let you know that your post was amazingly well written! I really appreciate how you made connections from your own life, and I'm sure others will too.
I really like how to brought up (and how Starr brings up) the idea of there being two versions of herself- Garden Heights Starr and Starr 2.0 (Williamson Starr). Throughout the novel we see many different characters struggle with their identity (Starr, DeVante, Maverick).
One thing that I noticed (like you brought up) is how when Starr is trying to fit in with her friends from Williamson, she tries to make sure that she looks like the "proper" black girl- she must dress, act and even speak a certain way if she wants to keep up her image. Starr brings up the point that even though she is from 'the hood' she does not want people at Williamson seeing her that way. She goes back and forth between both identities and struggles with trying to keep everyone happy. As we get closer to the end of the novel we see Starr struggling with her identity even more (how can she fight for justice for Khalil when she didn't even acknowledge him in the first place?) and I think it is really important and frankly beautiful that we get to watch Starr come to terms with who she really is.
In reply to Jodi McKay

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you!

I understand some of what Starr feels when she has to constantly switch between two personalities. It's trying to make everyone happy around you (like you said) but that means compromising on your own happiness. Which frankly takes a toll on a person's mental health.

I like that you brought up Starr not acknowledging Khalil at first. When she is with her Williamson friends in the gym locker and she immediately distances herself from the situation as much as she can. I actually got really mad at that but then I realized how young she really is and how hard it must be to struggle through something so traumatic.

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
This was amazingly written and well said Minahil! I agree with you on all points.
Starr’s "code switching" can be seen as an act of survival. I think this is a common trait between people who find themselves in places that they feel weren't created for them, so this would be something we would typically see from socially vulnerable groups. One example of the problem with code switching is shown in the novel after the death of Khalil - it made it hard for Starr as she did not want to speak up and come across as “too black” to her Williamson peers but also not speaking up meant she was “too white” in Garden Heights if she did not stand up for Khalil, having being the sole witness to the police brutality.
I think Starr's biggest concern is that she does not want to be perceived as the “angry black girl” – a negative connotation stemming from various stereotypes on black women and girls. The intersectionality of being black and woman poses some interesting challenges. The book presents the character’s blackness as a multifaceted and complicated identity. Again, I think this is an act of survival. In our society we see how certain traits that are associated with black people are not what's ideal or what is accepted. Even minor details like the way black women and girls wear their hair out at work, school or just in general. Straight and long hair is more acceptable than kinky coiled hair.
After Khalil’s shooting, Starr becomes more alert of her blackness. This is seen as the micro-aggressions from her friends become difficult to ignore. An example is when her friend suggests that when trying to catch the ball, she should imagine it were “some fried chicken” - stemming from the stereotype that black people love fried chicken (which I find hilarious honestly because who doesn't - with the exception of my non-meat eating friends of course).
In reply to Muchaneta Nyambuya

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you very much!

I like your point about Starr being extremely aware of her black attributes that fit into the stereotypical image of a black individual right after Khalil's shooting. In the beginning, Starr focuses on the smallest of things that before may not have captured her attention but now she has this sort of laser focus. Her friend was murdered by the police for being black, so now she is on the lookout for anything that says or pinpoints her being black to non-black individuals.

Moreover, the discourse around kinky coiled hair coupled with darker skin tones being considered unprofessional is just so frustrating. Like society expects us to damage our hair just so we can fit into someone's image of professionalism.
In reply to Muchaneta Nyambuya

Mucha, you touched on one of the scene's that I found very interesting in the novel. The fried chicken incident. Remember her friend acts dumbfounded at Starr's anger and says Starr what in the world are you talking about, you ate like a bucket full of chicken for lunch and I was referencing just a few hours ago -- as though to suggest she had no idea of that stereotype. What do you make of that defensive stance from her friend? Is there legitimacy to it or does it just show a lack of self awareness on the part of her friend?

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Dr. DiPaolo, that is an interesting question you pose. I do not accept Hailey's defensive stance as I feel we should all know better and be aware when it comes to these kind of stereotypes. For me, it seemed like such a coincidence in her favor that they had just been eating fried chicken earlier. Her defensive stance shows a lack of self awareness on her part for sure. Although I can see a side that says she truly may not have known or meant it in that way, we cannot excuse the fact that the statement is tied to a stereotype. She could have used another analogy in place of the fried chicken reference. I think condoning such behavior, no matter how small, makes it such that people think it is okay to say certain things and hide behind "not knowing" or not meaning it the way it comes across. Again, we should all know better, its the bare minimum.

by Mallory Martin -
This is very powerful written, Minahil. You truly were able to capture Starr's identity in this response. I think that recognizing that Starr feels she must obtain two different identities is a very important aspect that people should really take away from reading this novel. The fact that she fells that she has to change her identity when she is at School so that she is not seen as "ghetto", really speaks volumes to the level of racism she is faced with in her day to day life. She is also fearful to raise her voice or get angry, because she will be seen as "the angry back girl". The things that are normal for the white kids at her school to do, she must filter herself from doings so that she can fit in. You also touch on a great point, about how Starr feels she must filter her vocabulary and the way she speaks. In order for her to feel like she is being heard in the courtroom and on television, Starr makes sure that she is not using the slang that she would in the comfort of her own home. Rather she must use terms like "yes ma'am" so that she sounds "proper". Starr should be able to speak how she chooses, without people changing their opinions on her based off of this. I agree Jodi that it is inspiring at the end of the novel, when Starr finds her voice and also takes the big step in opening up about her life to Chris.
In reply to Mallory Martin

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you so much!

When writing this, my mind kept going back to when Starr says something like its cool to act like a black person but actually being black is not considered cool (I am very much paraphrasing this). Perception is a tricky thing and sadly, in the world, we live in today its much more important to be perceived as something than to actually be that thing. External perception coupled with the notion of double consciousness creates a powerful dilemma and I feel as if Angie Thomas does a wonderful job exploring that.
In reply to Mallory Martin

by Emily Green -
Hi Mallory! I agree, it is important to point out how Starr "filters" certain aspects of herself depending on her audience. I think one of the biggest takeaways from The Hate U Give is that we can't be colorblind to race. If we think of the world as colorless, we ignore the harsh realities that people of color face every day that require them to "filter" their behavior, looks, tone, etc.

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
Very well written Minahil. I agree with your points and I think you explained the split in personality Starr faced quite accurately. At Williamson, Starr felt that she had to tone down her blackness in a space that was not meant for her but she still occupied and in Garden Heights she wasn't black enough or as she described it 'dope'. I also like how you said that trying to make everyone happy can take a toll on one's mental health. Starr did not want her two lives to mix. We see it at her younger self birthday parties where her Williamson friends were at one table and her Garden Heights friend's were at the other. She ended up neglecting her friendships and after Khalil's death she wish she hadn't. I think she began to realize that she denied a part of herself and as Muchaneta said 'more alert of her blackness'. Even in anger Starr is first conscious of how she may appear and then decides to disregard this. When Hailey said those ill things about Khalil, Starr consciously lets go of her Williamson Starr persona and fights. Her mother initially scolding her about fighting Hailey shows how although angry, the black woman needs to remain subdued. It is ingrained in their consciousness and they are always aware of this. Starr tried her best to not adhere to the angry black woman stereotype but I think in trying to not subscribe to this she did not truly embrace herself.
In reply to Kryssonia Wedderburn

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you!
And I agree. She was so afraid of becoming a stereotype that she denied herself the ability to actually become her. Which is truly sad and the fact that it takes the murder of a friend for her to come to terms with her actual self that she has hidden.

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hi! I totally agree with what you're saying. People are quick to judge others and forget that they are de-humanizing them. I like how you touched on victim-blaming, because I find it being a serious issue. Victim-blaming happens all the time, and the media re-enforces that. The media is trying to show how 'good' the officer was with his dad's interview, but ultimately, Khalil didn't fire the gun that killed him, the cop did.

by Emily Davis -
Starr's two different identities she has to use in different situations would definitely impact her true self and self-identity. Having to constantly make sure she doesn't act too white in Garden Heights and too black at Williamson would confuse her. It seems like she doesn't really know who her true self is. Even when you see her with Chris and she says he is the only thing that makes her feel normal she still shields him from her life and the trauma she's gone through at Garden Heights. Even from her father whom she sees every day she doesn't tell she has a white boyfriend until she is left to having no choice. It seems like she can't be herself anywhere or with anyone, and that maybe she doesn't even know who her true self is.
In reply to Emily Davis

by Emily Ashton -
I agree that she may not even know who her true self is, when you're constantly portraying a character the lines of what is real and what is note can become blurred. Anytime Starr was around anyone whether that be Chris, the police, Maya, and Hailey, her family, she always has an idea of how to act in that situation.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Emily Green -
Hey Emily! This is a great point. I feel like we only see the true 'Starr' at the very end of the novel, once all of her 'truth' come out (her dad finds out about her white boyfriend, she confronts Hailey, etc.). After her two worlds collide, the weight of hiding certain parts of herself is lifted and she has the ability to act freely.
In reply to Emily Davis

by Emily Green -
Hi Emily! You bring up a great point about Starr's decision to hide the fact that she has a white boyfriend from her father. She really never has the chance to be her whole, complete self -- even when she is with her family in Garden Heights. It is certainly emotionally taxing on Starr (and more broadly, people of color) to constantly be trying to meet the social expectations of others.
In reply to Emily Davis

by Anna Sirois -
I like that you bring up Chris around the discussion with Starr's identity. Her relationship with Chris also shows this inner dilemma Starr has between identifying as "Garden Heights Starr" and "Williamson Starr." It seems Chris is someone who is able to make Starr feel she can have both, but finds a larger struggle when confronting her father about Chris or talking about her black identity with Chris. Although Chris is seemingly supportive of Starr no matter who she is, she feels she isn't being true to her black and Garden Heights identity after the death of Khalil.
In reply to Emily Davis

by Ashley Swaby -
Hi Emily
This is true. Starr struggles with her identity as a black woman. There are features of her black identity that she believes she cannot showcase at her predominantly white high school and there are things she has picked up at her high school she does not think she can showcase in her predominantly black community. As a result Starr constantly filters herself to fit in. She feels like she is not able to be her true self no matter where she goes.

by Emily Green -
In The Hate U Give, protagonist Starr is caught between the opposing societies of Garden Heights and Williamson prep. Because of this, Starr feels there are two ‘versions’ of herself – ‘Williamson Starr’ and ‘Garden Heights Starr’ – which she shifts between depending on her audience.

When she is at Williamson Prep, Starr flips the ‘switch’ in her brain to assume her ‘Williamson Starr’ identity: “I choose every word carefully and make sure I pronounce them well. I can never, ever let anyone think I'm ghetto” (95). She avoids slang, giving dirty looks, and showing her emotions so that she is not stereotyped as the ‘angry black girl.’ This is known as code-switching, which is also seen when Starr’s mother gives her instructions on how to portray herself to the media (and more broadly, to society) before her big interview: “When we get there, don’t touch anything and only speak when somebody speaks to you. It’s ‘yes, ma’am’ and ‘yes, sir’ or ‘no, ma’am’ and ‘no, sir’” (282).

In short, Starr and her family must speak and act in a certain way in order to conform to white norms and expectations. Code-switching is used in the novel by characters of color for safety and self-protection as they navigate a society that criminalizes being black: “It’s dope to be black until it’s hard to be black” (11). From Starr’s narration in the novel, we (the readers) are able to gain a sense of the emotional burden of her internal struggle with identity. It is hard enough already to be yourself as a young adult in this world, so Starr’s courage nearing the end of the novel to show her true self and confront her white ‘friend’ Hailey (as well as her bravery to speak out on national television about the in/justice for her friend Kahlil) makes her character a role model to me, and hopefully to everyone that reads The Hate U Give.
In reply to Emily Green

Emily G., The last paragraph of your analysis is very beautifully written. We all struggle with out identity and trying to fit in. I am constantly putting on airs and being one way at home and another at work (y'all think I am silly and a goober? You should see me at home with the hus. Oh boy!). But imagine needing to struggle with your identity not because you want the world to see you one way for your own gain and betterment, but because you NEED to for safety and protection and even acceptance into those spaces. Absolutely shocking and something I hope no one in the class forgets reading about so those of us who come at this from our positions of privilege will be able to recognize that we are the ones who need to open up the spaces to be safe for our peers, colleagues, and friends, to not need to code switch any longer to feel safe and welcome,

by Emily Green -
Hi Dr. D,

I agree, code-switching is not just a tool that allows POC to avoid uncomfortable situations. For many, having to 'act white' or 'tone down' elements of their identity is an act of safety. (And we see this in the novel with the 'cop talk' that Lisa and Maverick give their kids).

I also agree that it is important to check our own biases so that everyone feels safe and welcome. I think being curious about our privilege, and questioning our own thinking/actions, can be much more helpful and inclusive than asking POC to constantly explain or defend their cultural differences.
In reply to Emily Green

by Anna Sirois -
Hi Emily,

I really liked your response to Starr's identity. The struggle she goes through is carried out throughout the entire book, but in the end she finds her voice. I think we slowly find her becoming more and more comfortable being herself throughout the book, as we seen in some above responses. For so long, Starr feels she has to put on a 'white' mask through changing the way she speaks and expresses herself. She fears for being the 'stereotypical' black girl, for being "ghetto," as you mentioned, and not fitting in with her friends. It's when her friends Maya and Hailey use racial slurs, micro-aggressions, and other stereotypical phrases towards Starr where we see her realize that no matter how much she tries to fit in to a primarily white community, she will still always be the black girl. She realizes that even her friends stereotype her in harmful ways, even if she and her friends were close. Through the scenes such as on the basketball court about the fried chicken remark, where we see Starr learning to use her voice and stand up for herself.
In reply to Anna Sirois

by Emily Green -
Hi Anna,

Thanks! You bring up several important points. The fried chicken remark 'scene' in the book was hard to read. Adding to the previous discussion on this part of the novel (Mucha's contribution), Starr's 'friends' are unable to see why that comment was so hurtful. I believe these types of comments and micro-aggressions are a significant part of the reason why Starr is unable to form a cohesive sense of self at the beginning of the novel. I agree with you that as Starr finds her voice and begins to stand up for her self, we see her become more confident with her "true" identity.
In reply to Emily Green

by Anna Sirois -
It definitely seems that these kind of comments, especially if they form stereotypes, make it difficult for black people such as Starr to form their own identity. Even more so, form her identity without others imposing their own ideas.