Whole Class: Indian Horse Discussions

"younger ones getting all twitchy in their seats"

"younger ones getting all twitchy in their seats"

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Number of replies: 19

At the start of the novel (p. 3), Saul is at the rehab centre and speaks about his past. He says when he says anything about it, the younger ones get twitchy in their seats. He wonders if he has angered them or if they don't believe him. It reminds me of the Kurt Vonnegut novel "Mother Night" where the younger generation of Jewish kids didn't want to hear their parents and grandparents speak about the concentration camps, and in Eichmann in Jerusalem when Hannah Arendt points out the audience of the trial for Adolf Eichmann were all old people. 

Why do you suppose the younger people in the rehab centre were made uncomfortable by Saul's words?

In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

Re: "younger ones getting all twitchy in their seats"

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
NOTE: I just want to point out that the majority of my heritage is not Indigenous, and even though these characters are fictional, it is not my place to speak on another's behalf for their feelings, as I have not been through their experiences. In saying that, all of my analysis here is based on what I have experienced or noticed in real life or throughout my academic career.

I think in this scenario, there are two types of people who "twitch in their seats" when they hear difficult stories:
1. They are ignorant and refuse to believe what they haven't experienced with their own eyes or;
2. They simply cannot fathom the reality of the story, because it is so difficult to grasp without having experienced it themselves.
For example, many people are ignorant when they refuse to believe that the Holocaust was real or they believe it was way over-exaggerated. (Those people dishonour the dead that lost their lives in that Genocide, but that's a whole different topic.)

The novel doesn't mention whether they are all there for the same reason as Saul, so when those younger people were uncomfortable, again, it could be for 1 or 2 different reasons:
1. Perhaps some of them are not Indigenous, cannot relate to Saul's issues, and become uncomfortable because they refuse to believe Saul, or;
2. Perhaps they have indigenous roots and cannot fathom that Saul went through this experience and they did not. (Or perhaps they are not Indigenous and again, cannot fathom that Saul and other Indigenous children had these experiences, and because of their own privilege, they did not have the same upbringings.)

(Many people in the world refuse to acknowledge that residential schools even existed and some think that they were exaggerated. I know from my own experience, my Godmother and I have gotten into fights because I would tell her that I had learned about these schools, and she would say that some of her family members lived in these schools "and had a GREAT time!" She would refuse to acknowledge that some people had worse experiences than others because it was beyond what her experienced relations to them were. We see this happen in real life, all the time.)

Overall, the younger people were probably made uncomfortable by Saul's story because simply put, it was something they couldn't relate to. This either made them get angry because they were so mad at the system for harming Saul the way they did, or it made them angry because they hold the ideology that "If I haven't heard/seen/imagined/experienced this before then there's no way it really happened. So he must be lying."
In reply to Jessie-Lynn Cross

by Emily Green -
Hi Jessie-Lynn! I agree with you that it is difficult for young people to listen to the challenges that their parents, grandparents, or even just older adults have experienced because, as you have noted, we cannot relate to them. You also bring up a good point about residential school denial. For a long time Canada refused to acknowledge this part of our history and even now Canada's history (in its ~entirety~) is not often taught in schools. I think this has led to a lack of understanding and empathy towards listening to stories of residential school survivors.
In reply to Emily Green

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
Yep! It is a sad reality that happens too often in life. Young people never want to listen to their elders. I know from personal experience that I have to learn everything "the hard way". I have since tried to cut the habit and be more attentive to advice. On the one hand, one could say that they need to experience something to learn from it. But for me, I only think that works with like, paying bills, getting a new car, getting a credit card, riding a bike, failing tryouts only to pass the next year, etc. Common, everyday lessons learned. I do not think people should simply ignore people's stories just because they cannot relate because that is the way in which humans connect with one another.
I know when I tell my story of my upbringing, it is hard. People give me stares, and even my friends will tell me "I don't know what to say", because they grew up different from me. They also get uncomfortable and I have seen the "twitch" first hand! There's a lot of fidgeting. Staring at the floor. Looking at the door. Trying to find an excuse to leave the conversation because if one doesn't understand the experience, they won't GET IT. Ya know? And so they'll try to either come up with the closest story they can think of like "my aunt died too" or "I remember adopting my puppy", etc. Just random stories that have nowhere near any severity, but they do it because they cannot relate any other way. People want to feel relatable, or they otherwise feel out of place. If people feel out of place, it makes them want to leave the conversation instead of actually learning something. I didn't classify that option under my statement because I honestly think it falls under ignorance.

by Marcos Edgar -
Saul provides two rationales for why he thinks the younger ones are twitchy in their seats.
"Maybe they don't believe me or, maybe something about when I'm saying pisses them off."

Saul's voice seems to be indifferent, but I imagine he would be hurt by the young people's unwillingness to listen to his story. Saul explains that he was the first generation that, "stepped beyond the influence of our legends," and that he, "pines for a return that has never come to be." Things would never be the same after the irreversible ramifications of the residential school system. Saul's generation is the last that remember the horrors perpetuated against them, so people have a duty to hear him out and educate themselves. As the last generation of Holocaust survivors pass away, people understandingly worry that those stories will be forgotten. I think, fundamentally, Saul also worries that his story will be forgotten.

When I first came to Canada, I had no idea what the residential school system was, or even the implications of the word. There were residential schools in the states too, we just don't learn about them. I think there is a historical pattern that the farther away we move from atrocities, the more inclined we are to be apathetic. Growing up, my mom would always try to tell me and my brother about her experience as a refugee, and this same twitchy feeling resulted. We don't know how to act when someone shares a story this deep like Saul does; it puts the listeners in an uncomfortable position. Few want to recognize how lucky they really are.
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Emily Green -
Marcos, you bring up several good points in this discussion post. I agree that we often don't know how to act when someone shares their story of a traumatic experience (like Saul does in this chapter). I also agree with you that it is especially hard to listen to the difficult experiences of our family members when we cannot relate to them.

Some of these young individuals may be experiencing intergenerational trauma from the effect that residential schools have had on their community. I also imagine that the constant exposure to the distress of others in the rehab centre may also be traumatic for some of the young people, similar to the way that responders to tragedy (i.e. paramedics, therapists, social workers) can develop traumatic stress disorders from listening to someone else's traumatic story.
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hey Marcos! I really enjoyed your analysis, I also like how you were able to relate it to the holocaust, because that is something I already thought about and wondered if in 10 to 50 years, from now if it's still going to be stories that we hear. We are lucky with technology and how multiple people's stories have already been recorded either through videos or books and it makes me believe that it is possible to keep history alive in a way. I think I'm hoping more than anything that these stories do not get lost because these stories are a way to teach us not to do the same mistakes, and to fight for human rights. I remember in high school reading a book similar to Indian Horse called 'Le vent en parle encore' by Michel Jean and I was lucky to read this book as part of the school system because I noticed that not all schools were including education around residential schools. That education I believe is critical even if at some point children may feel uncomfortable (I mean this in a way that we don't want to scar them, but educate them). The importance of keeping these stories alive is on us.

by Emily Green -
The younger people at the rehab centre may have major psychological barriers in accepting the existence of such terrible abuses as the ones that occurred in Saul’s story and in residential schools. Although they may not have experienced residential schools themselves, intergenerational trauma still exists for many communities and families so I would imagine that these conversations would make them uncomfortable ("twitchy") in that regard.

The residential school system and 60s Scoop was a case of widespread human rights violations that has had lasting effects on Indigenous peoples, but until recently there have been few efforts to address the damage. I’m embarrassed to say that the first time I heard about this cultural genocide was when I was in high school (many Indigenous children were stolen from their communities at a much younger age than this, which is perhaps why it is so hard to learn about). Indian Horse is a heartbreaking story but it is one that we all need to hear, no matter how difficult it is to listen. As Saul notes in the first chapter, “I can’t understand where I’m going if I don’t understand where I’ve been." In my interpretation of the novel, this means that Canadians have an obligation to acknowledge our past.
In reply to Emily Green

by Jordan Hendricks -
Hey Emily! I too agree that intergenerational trauma may have been a cause for their uncomfortableness! It's an important topic to talk about and it's not talked about enough because so many things can cause this sort of trauma, it needs more recognition!

by Minahil Fatima -
It’s very easy to put myself in the “younger ones” place, understand their perspective, and argue that the two rationales that Saul gives; disbelief and anger don’t really encompass the entirety of the reason why those individuals are “twitchy”.
My grandparents lived through the 1947 Indo-Pak separation and witnessed and suffered horrors that I don’t think I will ever have the words to recount. They made sure to tell us their story because they feared that it would get lost in time and that their grandchildren, so enamored with the western world would forget what atrocities the white Europeans had committed. My maternal grandmother, the person who has been able to share most of her experience with me would completely agree with what Saul is told at the rehab center that, “If we want to live at peace with ourselves, we need to tell our stories.”
From personal experience, I can say that it's much more than feeling uncomfortable. It's feeling helpless at the hurt being caused by one’s own identity, heritage, and culture. It’s the discomfort of knowing that there are people in this world who consider me and my people less than human but more importantly, they advocate for our subjugation. The “younger ones” that Saul mentions could be from any race (Saul doesn’t specify) but if they are indigenous, then I think that the twitchiness has a lot to do with loss. Now, the loss can be anything: members of the community, rituals, culture, tradition, etc. But I believe that the loss of dignity and pride of their elders makes them uncomfortable. If a person’s communal and/or racial identity is the cause of their victimization then I believe, it's very hard to listen to your people talk about their suffering.
There is also hurt and sadness and the desire to live under the illusion that these horrors haven’t been committed against my people. My grandmother when telling me about the migration and trains full of dead bodies saw how uncomfortable and “twitchy” in my seat I was and said that what I felt was a complicated mixture of anger, hurt, sadness, and the desire to live a life where I am unaware of all of this because when someone becomes aware of it, they want to act on it but unfortunately, in these situations, nothing can be done about it.
NOTE: I must state that what I have written here is what I believe the young Indian individuals may have felt. I am by no means giving concrete reasons as to why some people might get uncomfortable when hearing about racial and generational trauma.
In reply to Minahil Fatima

by Emily Green -
Thank you for sharing this, Minahil.

I agree that it is important to recognize our past: the good, the bad, and the ugly. As you have noted, this is often required in order to find peace. While we can't speak for exactly what the young individuals at the rehab centre might have been feeling, I think you've done a great job at highlighting how they might have felt by talking about how difficult it is to hear about their elders' suffering and loss of pride.
In reply to Emily Green

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you, Emily!

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
This is all very insightful. Thank you to Minahil and Mark for sharing their firsthand experience with experiencing the twitch. I imagine most have us have felt uncomfortable when hearing stories being told for one reason or another. The important thing to remember is that nothing will change in our society if we forget the atrocities of the past.

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hi Minahil! First I want to thank you for including your personal story! The way you explained the analysis with your own experience gives it a great lens. There is no way we can know for sure how the children were feeling, but we know that they are not alone in feeling that way. The acts can never be justified, but I believe there is always a way to heal, which talking about it like you mentioned and making sure that the stories are out there can make a huge difference.
In reply to Annabelle Ruest

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you, Annabelle! and I agree that we definitely need to have more discussions on how to heal and open structures that provide that help.

by Emily Davis -
Thank you for sharing your story Minahil. You've definitely helped put how the younger ones are feeling into perspective. I think we've all felt this twitchy feeling when being told these stories from the past, it is uncomfortable because we don't know how to feel or how we can make a difference. It is just important that we listen and learn from the past to try and make sure history doesn't repeat itself.
In reply to Emily Davis

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you, Emily! I am glad my experience was able to provide some insight!

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
I agree with your points Emily and MInahil,
In the novel, Saul assumes that they are uncomfortable because they either don't believe him or are angered. In my perspective, with such a sensitive topic, some discomfort could stem from the mental state of the persons listening. It may be that the issue could be a trigger for them. Also persons may feel some guilt that they do not know how to display other than through discomfort. It may be guilt from belonging to the group that commit these atrocities, or guilt from not being able to help. The younger persons, possibly just having heard something for the first may not know how to process this information.

by Mary Gannon -
I think my thoughts mirror those of my classmates, however I would like to elaborate on this topic. I think there may be an element of guilt, in that the younger generation did not have to endure what their elders did, and perhaps this invokes a stigma that the challenges of the younger generation are not as important or detrimental as residential schools were. On the other hand, we see through Saul the first-hand generational effects of residential schools, and perhaps the younger members of the group get “all twitchy in their seats” because the stories Saul recounts are all too familiar.

I find the reference to Eichmann in Jerusalem particularly intriguing. I don’t think the lack of young people at Adolf Eichmann’s trial is indicative of their disinterest, but rather a lack of understanding. Furthermore, I think maybe a similar element may play into the fact that people who never experienced the war will never fully understand what it was like and perhaps feel they haven’t earned a seat in the courtroom.

by Jordan Hendricks -
Now I'm not 100% sure if the younger people in the rehab center are indigenous as the novel does not explicitly tell us, however, if they are not they could be uncomfortable because Saul is sharing an experience where he was more than uncomfortable , he was persecuted because of his culture, sexually, physically, and emotionally abused, and saw countless children die. These young people are experiencing a smithereen of what he felt and it's enough to make them squirm in their seats. These young people, if white and/or christian could also be hearing about what they as oppressors have done to these people from a primary source: Saul. They might have been under the belief that residential schools were nice and fun for these children but are now facing the truth of what they actually were, a nightmare. But these people could also be the ignorant type, and think he may be exaggerating how it really was or believe that he is making it all up. Either way, these younger people would not be able to relate at and would get extremely uncomfortable and/or angry at his stories.

However, if these people were Indigenous they perhaps might be uncomfortable because they relate too much. They would have seen the trauma their parents and grandparents had from the residential schools and thus brings to the forefront their own generational trauma that these schools inflicted on the children they kidnapped. They would have to face the very thing that put them into that rehab centre that they subconsciously knew was the cause.