Whole Class: Clade Discussions

Not political anymore...

Not political anymore...

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Number of replies: 9

Summer tells her dad she is not political anymore (p. 108). She also said that her friend Meera showed contempt for those who cared a lot and Summer wondered how much was directed at her (p. 91).  What do these statements mean? Why do you suppose she doesn't care anymore or is not political anymore? Is it a matter of added responsibilities in her life? Ever wonder how the hippies of the 1960s who protested war and freedom are now the baby boomers we all admonish on our Twitter feeds? What happened? 

In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

Re: Not political anymore...

by Nicole Leary -
When Summer and Adam reunite in the text, readers know that Summer is struggling. She is squatting in an abandoned cooperative with her son, Noah, who has autism. Later in the novel, we also learn that Summer tried to find support for Noah to help with his speech and coping mechanisms. In this way, I wonder if Summer's priorities shifted once she moved to the UK and had her son. With the world changing so dramatically, I would imagine that a lot of her efforts likely went to helping and learning to care for her son and keeping them both alive in a world that was growing increasingly dangerous. I also think that there is a level of frustration within Summer regarding the changing world. Considering that she spent so much of her time fighting for relevant causes and seeing little to no improvement, it is possible that she grew tired of fighting for changes and being ignored or failing to see improvements. What do you do when your efforts to change and fix the world fall short and instead things get worse?
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Minahil Fatima -
I am going to be very cliche and say that this discussion post reminds me of a Hunger Games quote. I think it's President Snow that says something like "Hope is stronger than fear" but for hope to be stronger it needs to exist in the first place and I believe that Summer lost some of that hope that she had in the world. She shifted her hope from fighting for relevant causes to fighting to give her son a better life and she was unsuccessful in both and I guess, that led her to being I don't want to say complacent but accepting maybe of the rapidly changing world?
In reply to Minahil Fatima

by Hilary Foster -
Hi Minahil,

I agree with your comment about how she wasn't being complacent, but accepting the fate of the rapidly changing world. I think sometimes you can only do so much, and it can be easier to tune it out than to constantly check in on the news, etc. I generally hate the saying "ignorance is bliss", but I think in the case of the novel it works well.
In reply to Minahil Fatima

by Megan MacGregor -
This quote goes perfectly with this novel and shows a real understanding of hope people function under insane circumstances. One thing I will note is that in these instances someones instincts can kick in and although they may not have hope, they may be able to survive in this mindset.
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Emily Ashton -
I agree that she probably grew tired of fighting. Especially with everything going on in the world perhaps she found her efforts (in which reaped no improvement) were becoming useless in a world that was collapsing. I don't think that she did not love Noah, but I think she did grow tired of fighting. When Summer kept saying that she would lose her temper at Noah and that she hated it but she did, I thought back to the start of the novel. With Ellie and Adams relationship at a steady decline, all he wanted to do was fight. He didn't have a reason to fight but he wanted to fight. I think this wraps up well with Summers's situation, she didn't want to fight with Noah but she was frustrated so all she could do was fight.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Nicole Leary -
Hi Emily,
I really like how you connected the fighting between Ellie and Adam to that of Summer and Noah. I had not thought of this before and I think that it's a very accurate understanding of what is happening in the novel. In this way, I wonder the extent to which the fighting was a sort of coping mechanism or lack thereof. I think that the fear for the future that everyone was feeling may have turned to frustration and conflict, which might be easier than admitting that you're scared. There may be less vulnerability in fighting.
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Annabelle Ruest -
I totally agree with you Nicole! I believe that everyone is capable of fighting, everyone just has a different limit. Just like when physically fighting, some people will have more stamina than others. This is a mental fight. Summer has to fight for herself and her son and those factors affects how she fights for the world. Her energies are focused on something else, she has different priorities than the ones she once had and that's totally okay. Everyone has a purpose in something bigger and for Summer it was to provide Noah the best life she could give him even if that meant leaving him with Adam.
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
I agree with Minahil in this case. I do think Summer had an "it is what it is" moment. I wouldn't say she gave up, but I think she came to an understanding that a certain course may happen no matter how much she fights. She fought hard for the causes she believed in and for her son and she was not met with any progress. I think she came to a stage where she saw enough failure and became accepting.
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Ashley Swaby -
Hi
I would agree that she tired of fighting. The environmental turmoil occurring around her and caring for her child's special needs must have taken a toll on her. She had to focus to caring for her and surviving in the harsh environment. It is not surprising that she decides that she is not political anymore. It is really the failure of the states that have contributed to this turmoil. It is not surprising that she would be frustrated in supporting leaders doing very little to help individuals struggling through environmental catastrophes.