Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

by Joshua Paul -
Number of replies: 3

I do agree that novels potentially can build empathy but in my opinion it depends on the individual reading the novel. The majority of people read novels that they are interested in or can connect too, for example I am an Indigenous person of Canada who has read and watched "Indian Horse", while I was getting into the book I started to really understand how this individual was feeling because I made connections right away with people that I have sat down with and listened to many stories of their time at residential schools. Now, I have friends that are not Indigenous that aren't going to sit down and read the book Indian Horse because it's something they aren't connected too and have no idea about for the most part. They aren't going to fully understand the situation, they are obviously going to know it's awful what went on but how many connections can they make or be able to feel how he felt? I agree that novels can build empathy but it has to be read by the right audience. 

In reply to Joshua Paul

Re: Are you convinced?

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
This is something I had not thought of before. You are right. For a book, a podcast, any popular culture medium to have any impact, it does need to be consumed by the right people. Do you think that non-indigenous people who read Indian Horse can at least get a sense or an elementary understanding of the situation through the author's portrayal of events? It is a novel that is assigned in this course so it will certainly be interesting when we get to it.
In reply to Joshua Paul

by Sarah Hetherington -
This is a great point, I also hadn't thought of it like this. I think you are right, more empathy can be built if you have that personal connection.
In reply to Joshua Paul

by Emily Ashton -
I think you make a good point, I definitely think relating to the novel/ characters is important for gaining empathy. If you can’t put yourself in the shoes of the character you are more learning than you are actually experiencing the struggles or triumphs of the characters in the novel.