Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Are you convinced

Are you convinced

by Ashley Swaby -
Number of replies: 1

I agree with Lynn Hunt's idea that the epistolary novel has the ability to build empathy and advance human rights. Lynn Hunt pointed to the fact that exposure to epistolary novels allowed people to see that all peoples are fundamentally similar. 

I have seen first hand that the lack of empathy towards certain groups stems from a lack of knowledge about the group. When we are given the opportunity to see all individuals as our equals it becomes difficult to ignore their pain and suffering. Novels allow us to gain a better understanding and therefore change our attitudes and actions. Lynn Hunt points to men being able to relate to female characters in Julie, Clarissa and Pamela to solidify this point. 

The Holocaust is clear example of how viewing groups as fundamentally different changes the ability of people around them to empathize with them. The idea that the massacred groups were subhuman or not human at all created an environment were violence and a lack of empathy could flourish. I believe that opposite of this scenario is true as well, if we view each other as the same then we can empathize. A novel provides the opportunity for individuals to understand and empathize with groups that are oceans away. The written word allows us too see that people on another continent or who speak another language are similar to us. They feel pain, experience intense emotions and crave safety and stability. The realization that we are all the same pushes to take action. 

In reply to Ashley Swaby

Re: Are you convinced

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Ashley this is very beautifully expressed. Now let me ask you, is there a connection between that real sense of empathy we get from understanding the perceived other (be it other sex, other race, other religion, other culture, etc.) and the actual protection of human rights?