Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

by Hilary Foster -
Number of replies: 3

After watching Lynn Hunt's lecture, I am convinced that a reader can gain empathy from a novel, however, I think her argument that novels have contributed to the growth of human rights is a slight reach. Novels are a powerful tool in invoking emotion, but I do believe that the empathy gained from novels is pure and honest, not superficial. 

I have read plenty of novels that have made me cry, and while I believe there is a connection to novels building empathy, I do not think it was a key factor in the growth of human rights. I think this argument is extremely well researched, I just do not find the connections Hunt made to be convincing enough for me to agree. 

I think currently people gain empathy for human rights violations through reading the news and through social media and the ruling elite do not tend to always have the best intentions for human rights upon making their decisions. 

In reply to Hilary Foster

Re: Are you convinced?

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Hi Hilary,

Let me ask you this: When you watch a movie or read a novel and you really feel for the characters, do you cry when something tragically sad happens. I know I do. If the answer is yes, do you cry when you see awful stuff on the news? If the answer is no -- I think it is the connection we feel from "getting to know" characters in popular culture that makes us empathize with them rather than more so sympathy we get from the news. At least that is my experience. Sometimes I do cry at the news, but it is mostly rage tears rather than empathy. I legit love my tv characters though. And worse still, sometimes the villains. What does that say about Hunt's argument -- it is also something your classmate, Dillon, raised in his comment. The anti-hero! Why do we have empathy towards the villains when we get their backstory? What explains that? And does it help us understand why in the real world, for example, some people with serious mental health issues may be not criminally responsible for their crimes?
In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

Re: Are you convinced?

by Hilary Foster -
Good evening!

I generally cry at anything sad or happy in novels and movies. When tragedies occur throughout the world and I see it on the news or read about it I also tend to cry. I also 100% feel for villains in tv shows or movies! I think we generally feel for them as there is usually a sort of nature vs. nurture scenario at play. For example, I recently watched the Joker with Joaquin Phoenix and while I found it terribly dark and depressing (as it was intended to be), I empathized with the Joker due to all the hardships he had faced in his life. The Joker was mentally ill and while I wont be giving any spoilers, I think the end of the movie can be attributed to his mental health issues and his eventual breaking point. As for a real life scenario, I think of severely mentally ill individuals that commit a crime and while I never think what they do is justified or okay, I can understand how mental illness effects people so greatly.