Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

by Mary Gannon -
Number of replies: 0

Hunt poses an interesting thesis in relating human rights and the epistolary novel to empathy. Though I do not wholly agree that the epistolary novel is what allowed for such empathy and as Hunt postulates human rights, I do see the connection in the advancement of human rights and the connection an individual has with a novel.

In accordance with how Hunt views the effect of the epistolary novel, she states that walking in another's shoes, somehow feeling as though the character is yourself in a sense, is what allows for empathy. 

I think an interesting aspect to look at is not only where we see others through kinder eyes, but where we as individuals see ourselves in the novels' protagonist. For marginalized individuals who have been otherwise unexposed to fundamental human rights, seeing themselves in the character's shoes may be what gives that person the drive or action that lead to change and subsequently human rights. 

Though I agree that the epistolary novel aids in building empathy, I do not believe it starts and ends there. One may have more empathy towards their neighbour than a pedestrian on the street, despite both of those people having identical mental and physical characteristics or traits.

It is the knowing and understanding of other individuals that lead to human rights, which often times does fall into the epistolary novel, though I do not think the epistolary novel can take full credit.