Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Response to Hunt's Hypothesis

Response to Hunt's Hypothesis

by Ayanna Waite -
Number of replies: 0

In Hunt's presentation she postulates that the epistolary style of writing is what ignited the minds of  people during the time of enlightenment. She believes this was the 'Genesis of human right' and empathy ,I however believe that empathy speaks to the understanding and or placing oneself in another's shoe, therefore empathy is a lot harder to learn if one is reading it from a novel  as she would have made it seem. I also believe one can use a novel as a way to build sympathy not empathy, as it is easier for people to feel sorry for others than it is to relate and understand what they are feeling.

We can use history as our guide, If the elites ( those who were fortunate enough to have the ability to read novels) had developed a sense of empathy human right issues in relations to women, race, children or even the mistreatment based on social class would of been significantly reduced and human rights would be more enforced in todays world. I can fully believe they felt bad for those in unfortunate circumstances within the novel but did they form a strong sense of empathy... no.