Whole Class: The Hate U Give Discussions

Drug Dealer Dilemma and white privilege

Re: Drug Dealer Dilemma and white privilege

by Megan MacGregor -
Number of replies: 0
You guys all really have amazing points, mass incarceration is a really big issue among people of colour and opportunities to make up for their crimes such as community service, rehabilitation instead of time behind bars, and programs that are available while incarcerated seem to mostly be offered primarily to white people or in prominently white areas. The lack of funs provided for these programs and even community programs in areas where they are needed most is astonishing, my question is why aren't we funding these to prevent crime instead of waiting for it to happen and pay more? Rehab centres that are small and not supplied well in areas that need it most, criminal charges for children who act out in school, theres so much priviledge wrapped up in getting proper help for a human just needing support and basic resources to better themselves. When I think of the systemic racial issues happening bother here in Canada and in the US I think of a personal instance where my mother had to be taken by police and admitted to a psych ward, not once did any doctor act as though her mental health issues weren't important, she was given proper support and as her family so were we, no matter the issue I still remember being taken for interviews to ensure I was okay even though I was 16 and not in her care. What I would like to know is why isn't this compassion given to everyone regardless of race or who they may be, because in reality addiction issues are not something that should be criminalized they should be treated as mental health.