Whole Class: Indian Horse Discussions

Community vs. Rugged Individualism

Community vs. Rugged Individualism

by Minahil Fatima -
Number of replies: 6

Something that really stood out to me while reading Indian Horse was how Richard Wagamese was able to reject the White Settler ideal of rugged individualism by highlighting through Saul’s life the importance of community. Rugged Individualism is a very white American term (coined by President Hoover during the Great Depression) that argues for self-reliance and independence from outside assistance. We usually see and hear stories that glorify the strength and triumph of the individual and how this individual (usually a white male) is able to overcome his problems alone. Wagamese subverts this ideal and shows in his novel how an Indian is able to gain strength and support from a community. Indian Horse shows us the power of interdependency that is typically missing from the colonizer’s tales of liberated individualism.

The lowest and darkest moments in Saul’s life are those when he is alone and has retreated into his shell. As a coping mechanism for his trauma, Saul opts for a solitary existence whether it be during his confinement at St. Jerome or his life as a migratory worker. Though, it is very visible though Wagamese’s words that when alone, there is a yearning within Saul for his friends and family. Saul’s soul longs for camaraderie and companionship and when he decides to accept help from others, he sees a positive change within himself. Saul’s encounter with Ervin Sift, his relationship with his counselor Moses, the Kellys, and his great-grandfather, all of these instances/interactions help him and us understand the power of community and the ability to heal and grow together rather than alone.

Indian Horse, I believe contradicts the mainstream white narratives that you need to do everything on your own and that strength is dealing with problems yourself without seeking the help of others. Saul’s story lets us believe that it is very okay to ask for and seek the help of others and not just in a personal sphere but professionally as well. Richard Wagamese heart wrenchingly explains to us that real bravery and strength lies with your community and this aspect of interdependency is where a person’s true self lies.

In reply to Minahil Fatima

Re: Community vs. Rugged Individualism

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Nice observation. These ideas of "protestant work ethic" and "rugged individualism" are used to push a capitalist agenda and are two of the most believed myths in American society. It is all a part of the "pull your bootstraps up and you will succeed" lie government officials tell to the citizens of the USA. I see it as more of an American thing in general than a Canadian/Western European/white narrative (seeing as social programs of help are readily available to the populace in Canada and Western Euro nations). That aside, the way human rights in general are protected are as individual. It is the individual that has the right. It is the government that has the responsibility to protect its citizens. And our emphasis as a society on individual rights creates a sense of individualism that the author is clearly rejecting.

I like how you say strength lies in our community and the interdependence that creates is where a person's true self lies. That is beautifully written. I think it is true if the community is one that is enriching and is accepting. What happens, though, when your community does the opposite of that? Would it be the case then that true bravery and strength would be in leaving that community? In a sense, Saul does that, too, right?
In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you, Dr. Dipaolo!
I think it is very much a matter of finding your community and sometimes it is the one you're born into but many a time it could be something that you need to seek.

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
Hi Minahil,
Thank you for highlighting this. I did not make this observation but it is truly interesting how Wagamese decided to focus on the strength that one's community gives them versus one's own individual strength to persevere despite their community. I completely agree with you that community is one that you may have to seek. When reading Dr DiPaolo's question on whether there is true bravery in leaving one's community I thought of something similar. The community that Wagamese depicted was one that uplifts and encourages; it was not the one Saul was born into rather it was the one Saul chose for himself. In my perspective, one's true community should be of fellowship and not discord. I think the bravery and strength lies in leaving an environment that tears one down and finding a community that enriches.
In reply to Kryssonia Wedderburn

by Minahil Fatima -
I completely agree Krys! I think you put it beautifully when you say that "one's true community should be of fellowship and not discord."

by Nicole Leary -
Hi Minahil,
Thanks for making this post. You make some very interesting observations. I also think that it is interesting how Saul's relationship endure and become a part of him. In other words, these relationships are not exclusive to a specific time or place in his life, but exist within him and are fluid, as he is free to come and go to them as he pleases. I think that this also differs from the dominant, traditionally, white narrative, as the positive relationships in Saul's life do not appear to have finite ends, but remain open even after he walks away. We see this with the Kellys when they welcome him back with open arms and with his great grandfather who continues to visit him even after death.
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you, Nicole, for making this connection. I like the use of the word fluidity in regards to relationships that Saul forms and how this is in contrast with traditional white narratives. It opens up how one thinks of the connections they make in life and how malleable those connections are in different communities.