If you believe you may qualify for a grant for students with permanent disabilities (based on questions here or info here) you should fill out and submit the medical assessment form. Sections of this form must be filled out by a medical health professional or specialist. Submitting this form may qualify you to receive an additional $2000/year, as well as an additional $250/month or $100/month depending on your family income.

To access these forms, please see your province's student assistance website under PDF forms. 

Most province's forms will include a section for your to fill out in addition to a section which must be completed by your doctor. Please be as explicit as possible and avoid using words such as "possibly" and "likely" when describing your future. Be as concrete and honest as you can when completing the forms. Describe the ways your disability effects your education, how it affects your ability to have a job, do assigned readings, get around on campus, communicate with professors and administrators, or complete required assignments. Include any information of additional expenses related to your disability such as prescriptions, transportation, income loss due to missed work, etc.

If you are applying due to ADD/ADHD or a learning disability/difference, include a psycho-educational assessment which has been completed within the past 5 years. If/When you qualify for a Canadian Student Grant, up to 75% or $1,200 of the cost of an assessment may be reimbursed. Please speak to SAS with any questions or concerns you may have regarding this assessment.

Be sure to keep a copy of this form for your records.

Last modified: Friday, 1 April 2016, 10:48 AM