Whole Class: Salvage the Bones Discussions

Examining some of the racial disparities in society as explored in the novel

Examining some of the racial disparities in society as explored in the novel

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Number of replies: 18

We already have a thread on evacuation and potential racial disparities but there are other topics of note. Take a crack of any (or even all) of these topics. 

First, the mom dies in childbirth. Look at the mortality rates of childbirth. What do you find? Discuss some of the possible reasons for the disparity and what are some of the solutions? 

Second, thinking about the evacuation issue as well as the mortality rate in childbirth got me thinking about the covid-19 pandemic we are currently living in. I've seen it called a racial pandemic. What do you think that means and how do you think Covid-19 would impact the Batiste family?

On page 97, Esch notes that the family lives in the black heart of Bois Sauvage while the farmer they rob lives in the pale arteries. Discuss this in the context of the notion of "white flight."

On page 102, Esch discusses never being on birth control and nobody taking her to the department of health. She also mentions the lack of money even if someone did take her to a doctor. Think about the links between teen childbirth and poverty. 

In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

Re: Examining some of the racial disparities in society as explored in the novel

by Nicole Leary -
I really appreciate the last topic on this list, as it is something that I was also thinking about a lot as I read the novel. The passage related to birth control is very telling of pregnancy amongst teens in poverty, as Esch is thinking of all the ways she could get rid of the baby growing inside of her that she does not really want. I found it very interested that these conversations are common in her school environment, which leads me to believe that unwanted pregnancy amongst teens is fairly common in this community. According to Planned Parenthood, birth control costs between $15 and $50 per month, and for a family that can barely afford groceries, it is unlikely that this would have been a possible cost. Safe sex comes with a price tag, one that is not always affordable. I would argue that it is the lack of affordable access to contraception that puts teens in these situations, which are then exasperated by a lack of information and affordable options to approach their pregnancy. Esch even had to steal a pregnancy test to discover that she was pregnant and she did not appear to have any intention of going to see a doctor until Claude mentions it in the last chapter after he finds out that she is pregnant. In this way, pregnancy is like a trap for these young women in poverty because they are unable to prevent it and if they want to end it, they must use drastic and dangerous measures like drinking bleach. It is definitely a scary situation, as we can see in Esch's frustration and despair when she tries to conceal and deal with her pregnancy on her own.
In reply to Nicole Leary

Re: Examining some of the racial disparities in society as explored in the novel

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Nicole!

I agree with you completely. Along with unaffordable birth control costs, I think that another variable is not enough education about safe sex and what sex really means. In my opinion, Esch never got "the talk". Her mother died before she was ready and then, motherless among men, no one else thought to ever teach her that saying no is okay or that you should not have sex if you can't be safe. Especially because she started having sex at age 12, which makes me cringe.
In reply to Paytra Waibel

by Nicole Leary -
Hi Paytra,
I definitely agree on the education aspect. Especially considering that schools in poorer communities often have greater weak spots in their education. We saw this in The Hate U Give and the education that was given in Garden Heights and how some of the characters noted that education at that school was not adequate. Moreover, I think that the responsibility for sexual education should not only fall on parents, because, as we saw with Esch, everyone does not have parents around that can and will give that talk. In the passage on page 102, Esch notes that her dad sometimes forgets that she is a girl. Accordingly, Claude may not be the best person to turn to in order to learn about these things.
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Nicole!

I like your incorporation of "The Hate U Give". You are correct that both books describe certain aspects of education as being inadequate. I also agree that the school or perhaps the social work system should have notices how bad off these kids were and perhaps helped in small ways. One of those could have been preparing Esch, the only girl, better for the real world.

by Annabelle Ruest -
I totally agree with both of you! As I mentioned in another discussion, the lack of education on the grounds of safe sex is a big issue, and it seems that the healthcare system as well as the school system are at fault here. Services are needed on those grounds and it would be the institutions' job to implement programs to help those young girls and women (as well as older women) get the help and resources they need. I like how Nicole mentioned that it seems to be a reoccurring issue in Esch's school because it shows the importance of implementing the programs I just mentioned to prevent the situations these girls are facing.
In reply to Nicole Leary

by Emily Davis -
I also agree with you completely! As inaccessible and unaffordable birth control can be, there was clearly no proper sexual education within their school if it was common for girls to talk about teen pregnancy in the way they did. Even if the Batiste family did have more money, it's hard to say if teen pregnancy still occurred if an abortion would have even been accessible due to changing laws in each state surrounding reproductive rights.

by Emily Ashton -
The last topic really stood out to me especially when I was reading the novel. Poverty, sexual abuse, and lack of resources is not only the reason for many teen pregnancies but is also a leading factor in the high population numbers of underdeveloped countries. Many women who are in poverty in which experience pregnancy as teens are kind of given both short ends of the stick. On one hand, they may not have access to resources to ensure a healthy pregnancy such as a family doctor, family support, and access to affordable healthcare, or don't have the tools to provide adequate life for the child after birth. But then on the other side of things, women and teens in poverty are less likely to have the tools for preventing pregnancy such as contraceptives or sexual education. These factors require money, this may cause teens or other pregnant women in poverty to turn to extreme measures as Esch discusses in order to terminate the pregnancy.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Hi Emily! I agree with on the factors contributing to teen childbirth. In the novel, the lack of resources, education and poverty is what contributed to Esch pregnancy. As Paytra mentioned above, Esch would not have received the "talk" and her family's poverty makes it that they would not have access to reproductive health services either. It's not only the fact that there are no resources available but also because she does not have the money to be able to afford birth control. Being the only female in the house and the lack of a female figure in her life also contribute to the problem. Her own father himself also forgets that she is a girl as she states ".. and have never been to the Health Department. Who would bring me? Daddy, who sometimes I think forgets I am a girl?" so she has never gotten the guidance on sex education from home and from her school. Her dad later apologizes and shows concern at the end when they are in Big Henry house, here he says they should get her checked out as soon as they are able to, to make sure everything is okay, I think a part of him was thinking of her mother and how she died.
Poverty is thus a contributing factor of teen pregnancy, especially in underdeveloped countries as you mentioned.
In reply to Muchaneta Nyambuya

by Emily Ashton -
Hu Muchaneta, Thanks for your reply I think you made some good points that extend my original reply. I Defiently agree that the lack of motherly figures in her life contributed to her problem and that you can see her father trying to embarce her mother and what she would have done at the end of the book.

by Sarah Hetherington -
The mother dying in childbirth caught my attention because I know Black women are more likely to die in childbirth than white women. The CDC says, "Black, American Indian, and Alaska Native (AI/ AN) women are two to three times more likely to die from pregnancy-related causes than white women." This is linked to poverty within minority communities (like we saw in the Hate U Give) which can be linked to inadequate care and education. The CDC also gives contributing factors to maternal childbirth deaths such as "access to appropriate and high-quality care, missed or delayed diagnoses, and lack of knowledge among patients and providers around warning signs". They also said 60% of these deaths could have been prevented if these factors were addressed. This is heartbreaking and clearly preventable. The solutions lie in addressing those factors, making sure poorer communities have access to clinics, to doctors, to medications, ultrasounds and more. If they had more healthcare resources, they could spot the warning signs, have the quality of care they need and get any diagnosis they may need to know before giving birth. Where you live and how much money you have should not dictate whether you have adequate healthcare or not and whether you survive pregnancy or not. Here is the resource I found: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2019/p0905-racial-ethnic-disparities-pregnancy-deaths.html
In reply to Sarah Hetherington

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Sarah!

Wow I was unaware of the statistic, thank you for bringing it to my attention. This poor health care is one of the reasons why I feel so empathetic toward what Esch is going through. It makes me sick thinking that she is only 15 and going through all of this.

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Sarah, excellent sharing of resources. Another great thread and very much connected to the Motherhood thread started by one of our classmates.

by Minahil Fatima -
It is really disheartening to look at these statistics while also knowing that the United States is one of the most developed countries in the world. You writing "Where you live and how much money you have should not dictate whether you have adequate healthcare or not" is really powerful and relevant especially considering that we have seen and continue to see more people of color dying from Covid as compared to white people. And people of color have been systemically oppressed into living in poor communities that have really inadequate access to healthcare. It is an ongoing cycle that like many structures in this patriarchal world discriminates against women of color.

by Anna Sirois -
Hey Sarah! Thanks for sharing this source, I think its great you went out of your way to find this and connect it to the material. These statistics are alarming.

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
Mothers dying during childbirth caught my attention.
According to WHO "The Maternal Mortality Rate in low income countries in 2017 is 462 per 100 000 live births versus 11 per 100 000 live births in high income countries." Majority of maternal deaths during child birth are due to a preventable cause however many persons cannot afford to have access to adequate healthcare. They may not be able to afford prenatal vitamins, doctor visits to see if they have any conditions or to treat it. It is heartbreaking to see that how much you can afford dictates your chance at life. There needs to be a greater access to quality healthcare.

Other causes of maternal during child birth may be due to complications during labour. Complications which could have been prevented if a doctor were present. It then led me to look at how much it cost to give birth in a hospital. According to Business Insider, the average cost of having an uncomplicated vaginal birth in the U.S. is $14,217. In Canada hospital deliveries costs anywhere from $5000-$8000 without insurance. The cost in Canada however is offset most times by the province. Having subsidized healthcare for mothers during pregnancy could be viewed as a solution. This way they will have access to the resources needed for them to have a healthy baby. I find it ridiculous how a baby can leave the womb and already be causing debt.

by Anna Sirois -
Through the way that the Covid-19 pandemic has affected people in poverty, it has in turn affected many BIPOC. People in households of essential workers, people in poverty, and single parents have struggled significantly during the pandemic. For example, a single mother with several children is forced in the position to continue to work. If a single parent is an essential worker, they are unable to stay with their family at home while the kids are online for school. Many families lack the resources to continue online school due to lack of internet, lack of technology such as computers, and lack of space or other materials. If a parent has to go to work, they can't leave their children at home alone. It requires that they go to childcare services, however, these childcares services are often unsafe and have a high potential to spreading Covid-19. If any family members were to get sick, the parent would be responsible to stay home to take care of them. Unfortunately, in many cases where families can't afford healthcare in the U.S., they would be unable to get a Covid-19 test without paying to full price of one. Covid-19 tests range in prices.

In reference to the social situation of Esch and her family, they would suffer greatly in a Covid-19 greatly. Since they are already struggling to make ends meet, it would be even more difficult for them to survive with a deadly virus on top of it all. Esch already doesn't have the choice of services such as healthcare or access to necessary things such as birth control, so gaining access to health services during a pandemic would be even harder.
In reply to Anna Sirois

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
Hey Anna, Thank you for making the connection between how living in poverty can affect one's ability to deal with a pandemic. The Batiste family could not afford or have access to health services for Esch. As you said, if they were living in a pandemic they would not have the money or access to COVID test or treatment if someone falls ill. When services shut down and they are unable to go out they may in turn lack food. Also they would not be able to just work from home and have to go out to find jobs that can put them at risk of getting sick. With not being able to afford healthcare, if someone were to get sick in the family, they would try to take care of them and risk getting sick themselves.
Randall was depending on a scholarship to go to camp or Skeetah to find the money through selling the puppies. When school transitions online during a pandemic, the family would have lacked the money to pay for laptops, wifi and textbooks for Randall, Esch, Junior and Skeetah to all be schooled.
In reply to Anna Sirois

by Brianna Bourgeois -
Hi Anna,
Thank you for sharing this! I think that it is so important to highlight the fact that circumstances such as pandemics or natural disasters disproportionately affect those of low socio-economic backgrounds. As human beings, we are all entitled to the right to an adequate standard of living where our basic needs such as food, housing and healthcare are met, and it is incredibly disheartening to see that the needs of vulnerable citizens continue to be ignored or otherwise brushed aside. As you mentioned, the Covid-19 pandemic has disproportionately affected those living in poverty, BIPOC, essential workers and single parents etc., and I if resources were in place to support these individuals, it would be more likely that they would be prepared for unprecedented situations like Covid-19 or hurricanes. It is clear that minority groups continue to be most affected however, it also seems like nothing is being done to support these individuals in a long-term and sustainable way. To combat these disparities, it is necessary to first address the challenges that minorities and individuals of low socio-economic backgrounds face on a daily basis, and to then focus on preparation for unusual circumstances.