Whole Class: Salvage the Bones Discussions

China

China

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Number of replies: 20

The story of Skeetah and China is one of heartbreak and love. Discuss its relevance to the overall themes of the novel. 

In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

Re: China

by Katherine Johnson -
I feel like Skeetah and China connect to almost every aspect of the novel-- motherhood and love, healthcare and poverty, and, of course, the hurricane.

As far as motherhood goes, I think there is a dual motherhood-- Skeetah acts in the role of the mother to China, and China is a mother to her puppies. Esch discusses motherhood throughout the novel in terms of her own mother, and how she looks to her own mom as a way to understand how she herself can be a parent. Furthermore, motherhood is seen in many ways as pure power; even the hurricane is compared to a powerful mother at some point (I'm having trouble finding it again). Skeetah and China represent the amount of pure strength that goes into being a parent. Skeetah shows China "tough love" many times, but also cares very deeply for her, refusing to abandon her and refusing to believe that she won't return after the hurricane. Both China and Skeetah must kill the puppies who are sick in the litter, which to us feels heartbreaking and violent, but to them was a dark necessity to ensure survival for the rest. Loving someone sometimes means doing the hardest tasks, and sentimentality can kill. The last lines of the novel demonstrate Esch's certainty that she and China, as mothers, both had to fight to survive but will come out the other end stronger and recognize each other as mothers.

I think the first deaths of the puppies, and the drowning of the rest during the hurricane, can serve as a sort of metaphor for poverty and the people in the book itself. Esch's family doesn't even have the option to evacuate for the hurricane, whereas I'm sure wealthier people evacuated with their pets. Additionally, Skeetah has to steal medicine for the puppies, and the dogs get fed almost better than the humans. Skeetah's struggles to keep China healthy mirrors the fact that the family themselves are barely getting by; they certainly don't have healthcare or good food. Esch's mother died after giving birth in her own house, and China and the puppies also face medical complications that Skeetah must solve on his own. It is all connected back to poverty, and the complete lack of veterinary care constantly reminds readers that the family too lacks important healthcare and basic necessities.

I might ask others: Skeetah raised China to be in dog fights, which is definitely animal abuse. However, he clearly loves her very much. Is there a way to connect those two facts and maybe apply it to human rights?
In reply to Katherine Johnson

by Ellen MacDonald -
From the beginning it was clear to see the importance of China in Skeet's life as well as how important he is to her. Without Skeetah in China's life she could have lived a much more terrible one given that she was a fighting pit bull in a community (and possibly time) where this breed of dog is seen as more aggressive due to their size and strength. As well, Skeetah with China makes him whole, gives him something to look after and look forward to, she gives him happiness and a reason to live life outside of his horrible home life.
Skeetah also shows his parenting through tough love. When China killed the puppy Skeetah stuck around, nurtured her, kept her and the puppies safe, and rehabilitated her outside until she was fit to return to her babies. Although he was very angry and upset he still didn't give up on China.
The story begins with the birth of China's puppies and slowly shows the difficulties and problems they face through the death of them, the lack of medicine, the poor living conditions and the aggression/mistreatment China shows. This in itself is relevant to the theme of the novel because Esch and her family, in a way, live alike to those puppies. Esch and her family lack healthcare, live in poor living conditions, don't have access to birth control, can't afford proper and adequate nutritious food, and their single father is unfit for parenting. This is exactly alike to the lives of those puppies.
In reply to Ellen MacDonald

by Ellen MacDonald -
If Esch's family were more wealthy, had proper healthcare and safe living conditions Esch would have the resources to receive proper birth control, have more access to sex education and would have the opportunity to carry out an abortion. Her mother could have survived the birth fo Junior in the hospital (or at home with a nurse/midwife), her father could still have a wife or could have the resources for his alcoholism, Junior could grow with a parental figure either than his siblings, and Skeetah could have a dog not meant for fighting who could have nurtured puppies in a safe environment. The puppies could have made it out of the hurricane to survive.
But this just isn't true, because Esch and her family are the subject of poverty.

by Emily Ashton -
Hi Ellen, I think you make a great connection to China and Skeetahs lives and how their struggles intertwine. I noticed that Esch often references China and Skeetah as a like or the same so I like the internal connection to their struggles as well.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Katy you asked an interesting question. Skeetah raises China to be a fighting dog but he loves her. How do we square that circle and how does it relate (or can it be related) to human rights? Human rights or animal rights? Clearly dog fighting is illegal had has been outlawed in all 50 states by 1976. Penalties have gone up recently and you can now get up to 10 years in jail for forcing dogs to fight for your enjoyment. What strikes me is that the penalties for dog fighting are often more severe than domestic abuse! I read an article once that said supporting animal rights as though they were equivalent to human rights would make it easier for prosecution of violence against women. That has not yet happened. We can support the penalties for animal abuse and still be alarmed at how weak penalities are for domestic abuse. What do you all think? Probably not where Katy was going, but something that always shocks me and I have little explanation for it (other than we love animals because they are small, defenseless and precious).

by Anna Sirois -
There is clearly not enough regulation on preventing domestic abuse or violence against women, if comparably, there are better laws in place to prevent dog fighting because its "inhumane." I think maybe the explanation for this is that people have more control over animals, especially pets, than they do over other people. A pet is completely under the control of its owner. It has to be fed, cleaned, let out to go to the bathroom, and goes wherever an owner goes. A person can get up and leave, can use their words to stand up for themselves, and have more agency in an abuse situation. So therefore I think that because people who are domestically abused, the government or other people see it as a "them" problem, and that it's that household's problem instead. In many cases, however, it is very hard for women to leave an abusive relationship or household because violence can escalate if the abuser realizes that person is taking back their power and control for themselves. This is my only explanation for this societal phenomenon and reason behind these regulations, however it doesn't justify the fact that domestic abuse cases are not taken seriously enough.
In reply to Anna Sirois

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
I agree with Minahil and Anna both. Harming animals can be viewed as harming the helpless whereas harming human beings is viewed as harming those that have the power to affect their situation. Society may view animals as being defenseless and at the mercy of humans. In many instances though, domestic violence victims undergo emotional abuse so there is a psychological hold on them preventing them from leaving. The stigma of shame that is attached to domestic violence may also affect the weight of sanctions. Victims are often viewed with shame if their abuse becomes known. The stigma of 'what happens in the home should stay in the home' may also affect sanctioning. WIth these stigmas domestic violence may not be viewed with as much severity by law enforcement however, it should. Also, many laws are antiquated and much reform hasn't been done or takes a long time to do. Domestic violence against women, 'wife-beating', was viewed as therapy years ago. It was not deemed as an unlawful action and I think this still affects the atmosphere surrounding it and leads to many of the stigmas and the lack of legislation protecting victims.
In reply to Anna Sirois

by Emily Davis -
Hi Anna! It's a horrible reality to think about but I think you are completely right. It's sad to think about the government seeing domestic abuse as more of a "them" problem knowing how incredibly difficult it can be to get out of an abusive relationship, but it is true that animals have even less power to leave that situation. I've also read about how humans have the strongest emotional reaction to news of abuse or preventable death of small children and animals and feel less sympathy when the same occurs to an adult.

by Minahil Fatima -
I would agree with Anna and say that people (the policymakers) view humans as having the agency to make their own decisions and animals as not having that freedom and maybe that is why we are so slow in implementing legislation that makes it harder for domestic abuse perpetrators to escape justice. I think there is still a stigma attached to domestic abuse that makes it seem like it's a family problem and must be kept hidden from the outside world. Also, I think that when people see domestic abuse they are hesitant to report it because it is considered a family problem whereas when people see an animal being abused they are more likely to speak out. Animals don't have the freedom to free themselves but there isn't a stigma attached to their abuse as well.

by Nicole Leary -
Dr. Dipaolo, this reality is absolutely heartbreaking and there are likely so many ignorances and societal beliefs that have led to these systematic gaps. That said, one that sticks out to me is that of victim-blaming. Would we blame dogs for the actions of their owners or other people? I would argue no. At the same time, society tends to flip the script on survivors of intimate partner violence even though they have their own voices and can recount their experiences. Similarly, I wonder in the novel who would be most likely to receive protection, China, or the children? Would Skeetah be blamed and charged for taking China to dog fights? Would his situation be ignored?

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hey Ellen! I really like the way you're showing this part of the book. It also makes me think about how Skeetah acts with China, it as if he's showing the love he was never given by his father. That even though his father is rough on them (to the extent that it is considered abuse) that he'll never be the same as him. The way he interacts with China is also a bit how Randall interacts with Claude in a way. Skeetah perseveres even though deep down he knows that he may be doing all of it for nothing, that China might end up killing all the other puppies. This is just like how Randall knows that his father is almost a lost cause he keeps caring for him anyway. It's interesting how the characters are so different yet similar.

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
Hi Katherine,
I love the connection of tough love that you made. It's clear that Skeetah wanted China's puppies for gain but the care that he gave to her after birth by never leaving her side, nursing her and bandaging her with the same bandage he had used on his wounds before shows how much he cares and loves China. Esch points this out at the dog fight when she says "the boys will never understand what it means to love a dog like Skeetah" (163). Despite raising China for dog fights, it is clear that he loves her.
The theme of motherhood is depicted with how Skeetah cares for China and her puppies. Before she gave birth he was with her everyday. Even as the hurricane approached Skeetah refused to leave China outside, He was willing to sacrifice for China similar to how a mother would sacrifice for her child.
I found it saddening how Skeetah had to wash and bleach the same bandage that both he and Randall had used before to help China. This connects with poverty how it makes persons unable to access proper healthcare. Skeetah could not afford medicine for himself or China but we did what he could out of love. Skeetah breaking into the white neighbours house for something he heard would help China also shows how much he loves China and how poverty creates a disparity in access to resources.
I would say Skeetah raised China to be in dog fights out of love. Being aware of the socioeconomic struggle that his family faced and the lifestyle of persons in the community Skeetah may have just wanted to provide the best for China. We see it when he goes and buys the most expensive dog food for China even though the family does not have enough to eat. Growing up and seeing all that Skeetah had, his intention may have been for China to be strong and able to protect herself. He may have used her skills to be able to afford the best for her. I looked at why Skeetah felt he needed to put China in fights or even fight to keep her puppies alive. Skeetah needed the money because of the poverty he was living in.

by Nicole Leary -
Hi Katherine,
You make some really interesting points here. I also really like the question you pose to the rest of us at the end of your post but I'm not sure how to answer it. That said, I think that we could use this situation with China and Skeetah again, as it appears that it both mirrors and contrasts the relationship between the kids and Claude. Throughout most of the novel, Claude pays little attention to his children, which is a stark contrast to the great amount of love that Skeetah shows China. However, just as Skeetah takes China to dog fights, Claude also leaves his kids to scrap in a different way. While China is fighting to win, the kids are fighting for their basic needs. And so, while the dog fights are clearly animal abuse, it may be the factor of love and adoration for one another that alters this relationship in a way that, makes it less harmful than that of the kids and their father. China has someone responsible for her and who diligently cares for her after each fight. The kids do not really have that to the same extent.

by Ashley Swaby -
There is love and heartbreak throughout the novel. Skeetah cherishes China and is hopeful that the puppies will survive. Unfortunately, even before the hurricane reaches them, the puppies start to die. When Skeetah loses China in the storm, that was for him, the ultimate heart break.

The theme can also be seen with Esch. She believes she has strong feelings for Manny but he does not feel the same.

In both situations, the relationships are unhealthy. Manny is much older than Esch and it can it appears he is taking advantage of her.

While Skeetah loves China, he uses her for dog fighting which is not the best for her.

by Marcos Edgar -
I interpreted the relationship between Skeetah and China as that of a parental role: they both take care of each other and are fiercely loyal to one another. I really enjoyed Skeetah's remark, "Some people understand that between man and dog is a relationship. Equal." I imagine many are skeptical of this bond, especially considering Skeetah gets China involved in dog fights, and claims to only want her so he can sell her puppies. At the same time, there are moments of redemption, when he buys her the most expensive food, or steals medicine. It was tough to read about the sick puppy, and I imagine many shared this uncomfortableness. Perhaps animals are stonger than humans in this way; China would have killed the puppy so as to save the rest of her puppies from getting sick, and she understands this is part of life. I don't think this makes her less of a mother. For Skeetah, and humans in general, dealing with death is far more difficult. We would rather not confront it, exhibited where Skeetah keeps the sick puppy alive but out of sight before he comes to terms with the necessity of ending it's suffering. Skeetah learns these life lessons not from his father, but from China. Letting go is part of life, and Skeetah must come to terms with the devastation of losing China too.
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hey Marcos, I enjoy your take on China and Skeetah's relationship. I didn't thought of it this way, but China was thinking about survival (hers and the puppies), and Skeetah's judgment was 'clouded' with emotions because he didn't want to loose the puppy, or even the money that the puppy was supposed to bring him in the end. China on the other hand 'new' instinctively that keeping the puppy would not bring a good outcome.
I think think the part where you mention that China is teaching those life lessons to Skeetah is supper important, because it shows that the father is absent in the life of his children on a level other than providing for them financially.
In reply to Annabelle Ruest

by Marcos Edgar -
Annabelle, Thanks for your feedback! To address the father absence, I think it's so admirable how Skeetah is able to support himself and China by mowing lawns at the church, as not many kids would be willing to work so hard to support themselves at such a young age. Skeetah is willing to eat squirrels, but he always buys the most expensive food for China. I think there may be an interesting parallel between China and their father: both are tough and often violent, but China shows how these qualities can be present in a caring parent, as she is to her puppies, whereas the father shows how these qualities harms his family. Violence is such a big theme, between the dog fights and the local boys fighting, and it's difficult for me to fully understand since I have never experienced this in my own life. Perhaps this is what makes the characters, including China, so resilient; they all suffer through violence to support their family.
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Katherine Johnson -
I like that last idea of yours-- that they suffer through violence to support their family. I think in a lot of ways, Skeetah doesn't see dog-fighting as animal abuse or violence, but just as a way of life. I don't have a big comment about this discussion as a whole, but I do want to point out that the author herself states in an interview in the back of the book that she grew up with dogs that were both loved and fought. I remember she said that as a six year old, she remembers being babysat by the same dog who would be taken to dog fights, and she saw the fights themselves as somewhat beautiful. I think we're all looking for a message about the abuse of dog fights, but given the author's own experiences, I'm not sure it is necessarily there. We have to keep in mind that the author herself might be writing about something she sees as beautiful and almost normal and there might not be a deeper meaning (although there likely is, seeing how layered the novel is). My point here is less about China and more about us as readers-- we need to remember that the lived experiences of the authors we read, and thus the messages they are trying to send, might be very different than our own or what we expect to see.

by Ayanna Waite -
The way Skeetah interacts with China while reading through Esch’s narrative, it shows that Esch realizes that for Skeetah nothing is more precious than China, through her eyes Skeetah and China are portrayed almost as being inseparable .The theme of family versus the individual really shines through as we see that the unity between Skeetah and China sometimes threatens the family’s hope of surviving the hurricane. Initially Skeetah’s aim was to keep the surviving pups alive for six weeks so that he can sell them off and make some money for his family showcases him putting his family over what he and China would want. He continues to put his life on the line as he raids the neighboring houses for supplies both for the dogs and for his siblings, emphasizes the socioeconomic status of the Batistes. We can also see the struggle of prioritizing within the theme of family vs. individual when Skeetah buys food for the family but it is of lesser quantity and lower quality in comparison to China’s. In hopes of leveling the inequality between both, he then offers them some of China’s food if things get from “worse to worst”. The emphasis of the “if” shows that it is not something he particularly would want. Skeetah believes that he can pull his family up out of their unfortunate circumstances if he pushes himself and China hard enough, and as the novel comes to an end, he finds himself still maintaining this belief in spite of the devastating losses after Katrina.

by Mary Gannon -
The relationship China and Skeetah share seems to mirror that of Esch and her mother. The way Skeetah looks after China above all else is the trademark of a mother, with the example of Skeetah buying more dog food than human food as provisions for the hurricane. It is also interesting to note that even though Skeetah appears selfish at times with his attention and affection for China, he is also putting China above his own needs.

I think it is also relevant to note that Esch would name her baby after Skeetah and not her father if it is a boy. This distinction lends further insight into the way Skeetah treats China in comparison to Esch and her mother. The kindness of Esch’s mother is lost on her father, but in a way it is brought back to Esch through the birth of her own child. Esch has the opportunity to break the cycle of treatment she and her family have endured.

It is evident that Esch sees herself in China, and this is clearly reflected in her love for Skeetah. In this way, we see why Esch values Skeetah, because no matter what China does, Skeetah remains by her side. This is something Esch is sorely lacking from Manny and seeing it through the eyes of China she is able to give worth to herself and her situation.