Whole Class: Indian Horse Discussions

The breakdown of Saul's family

The breakdown of Saul's family

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Number of replies: 35

What do you make of the first few chapters of the book where Saul tells us the story of his family? There is a lot to discuss here. You could speak about his parents and how they never returned for him. Maybe you want to focus on the strength and leadership of Saul's grandmother. Maybe it is the siblings of Saul you would like to speak about. 

In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

Re: The breakdown of Saul's family

by Paytra Waibel -
To be completely honest, after finishing the novel, I felt extremely empty and depressed for Saul's story. The first few chapters discuss how his parents are not even really parents to him, they are so inverted upon themselves and driven to drink due to their experiences in Residential Schools. Further, after Saul's brother died, I found it so completely heart wrenching when the grandmother wanted to bury him in all the death rites given to an Indigenous Ojibway, on the top of the mountain with his feet pointed east, however Saul's mother called the grandmother a heathen for this. The residential school had erased her culture and identity so much so that she regarded her mother in-law as a less than human, savage Indian. The mother goes on to state that her son needs to be buried with help from a Priest and in the name of god.

In analyzing that specific event, I would say that Residential School's quite literally took everything from Saul. They took his brother away only for him to return with TB and die, they turned his parents into dysfunctional beings who couldn't really be parents, they caused Saul's mother to decide that his brother needed a priest which made his parents leave God's lake, and that decision ultimately lead to the death of his closest ally, his grandmother, when she froze to death after his parents never returned.

I have worried and thought a lot about the reasons for Sauls missing parents. Did they die on their travels to or from the priest and Saul's brothers burial? Did they decide that abandoning Saul and his grandmother was in their best interest? Or were they so consumed with alcoholism and dysfunction from the residential school system and systemic, settler colonial trauma that they wandered to the nearest tavern and drank themselves into a stupor that they could never return from? If they did survive, did they ever try to find Saul? Did they return to God's Lake? Did they hear about his hockey triumphs? I wonder about this a lot as the book articulated how many children at residential schools had their names changed but Saul's was already "Christian" enough and therefore it stayed the same. It would probably have been easy to find Saul if his parents truly wanted to.

This analysis leads me to believe that they gave up and died. Whether literally or figuratively Sauls parents died for real or their souls simply died inside their living bodies and they decided to move on from their son. Either way this was caused by the harsh realities they faced in residential schools and the harsh quality of life that the government afforded to them. Either way, I would say that Saul's greatest familial loss was not that of his already absent parents, but of his grandmother. His grandmother showed true love for Saul as she kept him alive during their trek through the harsh winter in hopes of reaching a different village. She showed just how great of lengths a person will go to in order to protect their own flesh and blood. The grandmother sparks so much empathy within me, she is definitely one of the strongest characters articulated. I can't imagine how she must have felt when Saul's parents did not return. The Residential school took her son away from her and changed him into something unrecognizable, her daughter-in-law pays her so much disrespect its unbelievable, and now she's left with her grandson to take care of in the harshest climate ever. Some might say she failed by dying, but I would say she triumphed. She lost her own life in order to spare Saul's from the freezing cold of winter. That is true bravery and courage.
In reply to Paytra Waibel

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
Good Analysis Paytra!

I have to say I agree that the Grandmother's bravery and courage were exemplary. Being ripped away from your family members is one of THE MOST traumatizing things a child can go through. It changes you, matures who you are as a person, and though it does give you an early and deep sense of independence, it can also cause trust issues and commitment issues, and relationship issues. The family unit is a sense of community in most cultures and it is deeply significant in the indigenous culture.

I think, (just adding on to what Paytra was saying about Christianity) that Saul's parents assumed that Saul at some point would be taken. They had experienced the system and despite their best efforts, it seems they prepared for the contingency that Saul and his brother would be ripped away from them, to experience the same system. I think they gave Saul a Christian name and taught him English to make his life easier. To give him an advantage that other kids simply did not have. The word "privilege" feels wrong to use when discussing residential schools since none of them were lucky to be there. However, Saul's experience in the residential school was objectively seen as easier than other students, who perhaps had non-English names, or only spoke Ojibway.

Just to mention Saul's Grandmother, I think the fact that Saul was taken long after his brother Benjamin had been taken, escaped, returned home, and died was a clear example of how much his family, specifically his grandmother, had fought to keep him out of the system. I feel her trait of strength was passed down to her kids since Saul's parents got through the system and fought to keep him and his brother out while preparing them in the case that they did get taken. Also, the strength that Saul's brother, Benjamin, had to survive the journey back home with TB, just to see his family again, is definitely as honourable as the Grandmother's sacrifice to keep Saul alive.
In reply to Jessie-Lynn Cross

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Jessie-Lynn.

I appreciate your analysis about Saul's parents "preparing" him if he ever were to get taken by teaching him how to read and speak English and through the use of a Christian name. I had not entertained that perspective yet but I would have to agree with you. Very good analysis!
In reply to Jessie-Lynn Cross

by Annabelle Ruest -
Content Warning (Sexual Assault):
Both Jessie's and Paytra's analysis, are very well done, I like the part where Jessie brings out the trust and commitment issues. The way his abandonment affected him I believe is with the 'denial' of the sexual assault by Father Leboutier, at first we see him as someone Saul trusts (there are some red-flags, but we are never certain until later in the book), but by the end we discover he was no better than the other priests that were abusing the other children in the dormitories like he had spoke about previously. He was using obsessive commitment towards hockey in order to try and 'forget' the atrocities that Father Leboutier was doing to him, and that continued on until adulthood. When his relationship with hockey crumbled, he also did, and he was forced to look back and seek help. He turned his anger around and he tried making something productive with it. That I believe also takes a lot of courage and strength, to get out of that state and seek help and to admit we need it.
In reply to Annabelle Ruest

by Jodi McKay -
This is a really good point. Do you think that Saul was in denial about what happened with Father Leboutier because he seen him as almost a family/father figure to Saul? Before we find out what happened he really seemed to be the only person who pushed Saul to follow his dreams and his passions. Curious to hear your thoughts.
In reply to Jodi McKay

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hey Colbie! I believe he was indeed in denial, like the trust he felt for grown-ups was again broken and he just couldn't deal with it. He kept comparing Father Leboutier to his grandmother, which now I find weird, his grandmother protected him at all costs, but maybe he saw Leboutier in that way because he was pushing Saul to follow his passions, he was the only other one to believe in him as his grandmother did. I'm throwing the question back at you, what is your opinion on it and why?
In reply to Jodi McKay

by Emily Davis -
I think Saul was definitely in denial about Father Leboutier because at that point at the school, he seemed to be the only person to show him kindness which made it even more heartbreaking to learn the truth about him in the end. Saul had lost his parents, his siblings, and his grandmother and was left at a school with no love and nobody to believe in him so when Father Leboutier came along, I'm sure Saul felt as though he had gained family again. Father Leboutier paid special attention to Saul which he hadn't experienced since he lost his family, I don't think he wanted to admit that the only adult who seemed to care for him was actually hurting him the whole time.

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Hi Paytra! I share the same sentiments that this novel left me empty and depressed for Saul's story. There were so many sequence of events that just kept ripping me apart.
I too had a lot of questions about Saul's parents not returning and on what could have possibly happened after they left. I agree with you that since Saul's name was not changed, they would have been able to find him if they looked but since they didn't look for him, or rather since its not mentioned, I think they did not make it. Else surely they would have looked for him? If they did make it, I wonder what lead them to never look back, even during Saul's great hockey days. Surely they'd head or read about him?
In reply to Muchaneta Nyambuya

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Mucha!

This is exactly my point and its one of the most saddest aspects of the book. Caucasian settler colonialism religion took Saul's parents on a journey away from him. Settler colonials took everything away from Saul. Even though it gave him a love for hockey, that was also taken away due to incessant racial slurs from the news and media.

by Jodi McKay -
Hey Muchaneta,
The story of Saul's parents also bothered me- I just can't imagine not looking day and night for my child...but I never thought of the point that you brought up, if Saul was such a good hockey player surely they would have heard about him. This makes me wonder if something happened to his parents...what do you think happened?
In reply to Jodi McKay

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Hi Jodi! Thank you for your response and for your question. I think maybe something might have happened to them. The book does not even tell us if they made it with Benjamin's body or not. I'd like to believe that they would have looked for Saul in the later stages of his life had they been alive. I don't think they would have just left and not looked back. They might have had reasons not to return (broken down of family and the fact that they were not as connected to their traditions anymore) but they also had a reason to return, Saul. He was still their child and he needed them, even though they'd lost two of their children.

by Minahil Fatima -
You make some really good points, Paytra! Especially the questions you raise regarding Saul's parents and their disappearance. And it is truly heartwrenching to know that any of the possibilities you have mentioned have an equal chance of being true. And I agree with you that after having left residential schools, Saul's parents were no more, just mere shells of their true self.
And I definitely agree that for Saul, the loss of his grandmother was probably greater than his parents as his parents weren't really parents to him but his grandmother was his one true family member who not only fought for him but gave up herself for him as well. And I just can't imagine going through so much loss at such a young age.
In reply to Minahil Fatima

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Minahil!

Thanks for your response. I too cannot imagine going through what Saul did at such a young age. What the Canadian Government imposed on him is the biggest burden I have ever seen a child endure. No wonder there is so much anger, resentment, and need for change in regard to Indigenous people have the horrors they have gone through due to the Canadian government and its need for assimilation.

by Ashley Swaby -
Hi.
You are so correct in saying the residential school system took everything away from Saul. The trauma suffered by his parents affected his upbringing and the he himself had to be subjected to that same trauma. The residential school system negatively affected several generation of families. It is not surprising that his parents turned to alcohol. The generational trauma inflicted by the residential school system pours out into the families and communities of Indigenous peoples.

by Marcos Edgar -
Something that struck me most about Saul's family relationship was his mother's Western Christianity, and how at odds it was with the traditional rituals of burial. His grandmother is also very spiritual, she always speaks of the Creator and her family's destiny, but Saul's parents no longer took this spirituality seriously. On top of the distress of losing his brother, Saul's family ultimately disintegrates as a result. His parents go off to find a priest, and as a result, this indirectly led to the death of his grandmother. As easy as it is to grow angry at Saul's parents for abandoning them, can we really cast all the blame upon them? The residential school system clearly has the ability to completely drain the humanity out of someone. We first saw this with Saul's brother, then later, when he gets taken away to the school, there is a slew of children who are almost literally broken: they harm themselves, they lose their language and culture, they are given new names, and their human dignity is entirely stripped away. The skeptic in me wonders if Saul's brother was purposely sent home with TB to traumatize the family, or in an attempt to infect them as well.

This clash between the residential school system and family is depicted poignantly through the boy that Saul arrives at the school with. The boy has his name stripped away from him, then the nuns tell him that he no longer has a biological father, and the only father he is to speak of is God. Stripping away the family seems to be the primary mechanism used by the priests and nuns to "civilize" the children. Saul is able to find his way to a new family, but most of the children were not that lucky.
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Mark!

I really like your point about the speculation of Saul's brother being sent home purposely to either scare the family or to infect them. I find that truly interesting as we know that throughout history settler colonial bodies have sent terrible sickness and illness into reserves with the hope of mutilating and infecting the village. I would not put it past a residential school to allow the boy to think he is escaping when in reality they were letting him. Good analysis!
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Jodi McKay -
Hey Marco's!

I really like the points you brought up that show the differences between Naomi (someone who didn't go to Residential school) and Saul's parents who did. If his parents thought that there was a chance that they would have their children taken away, do you think that they gave their children Christian names so that they wouldn't have be forced to lose their names like their parents had? The school and government can take many things away, but the one thing they couldn't steal from Saul and his siblings were their names...what do you think?
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Minahil Fatima -
Hi Marcos!
It didn't even occur to me that Saul's brother could have been sent home deliberately with TB to further traumatize the family. Thank you for raising this point as I believe it gives us something more to think about in regards to how nuns and priests targetted not only the physical but also the mental health of the indigenous people. And not just the ones that were in their captivity.
In reply to Minahil Fatima

by Hilary Foster -
Hi Minahil!

I also agree with how Mark's point is something I never considered. I do think this is extremely likely as I remember the horrific actions of the colonizers who sent blankets infected with smallpox to the Indigenous peoples.
In reply to Hilary Foster

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Wow! There is a lot of rich analysis going on here. Paytra, thank you for getting the discussion going with a thoughtful post. I just assumed the parents were living their lives in the city somewhere and never tried to look for Saul due to the demons they were battling as a result of their childhood. Jessie-Lynn, your suggestion that both giving Saul the name they did and teaching Saul English was a way to ensure he had an easier time at school is very insightful. It suggests that his parents did have good intentions and were looking out for their son.

I always try to push you to take it outside the book and see the parallels in our society. We can obviously talk about the intergenerational trauma that residential schools have caused within the indigenous population of Canada. I was listening to CBC the other day where a poet from Nova Scotia read aloud a beautiful poem called Canoe. In this poem, the author talks about how she does not know how to build a canoe. The poem highlighted how canoe building was not something that had been passed down to her generation. Now, the example of the canoe is used to illustrate just how much of the indigenous way of life is lost from one generation to the next because of policies instituted (many still in effect today) by the Canadian government, such as the Indian Act. While we focus on residential schools in this novel, if we were in a classroom setting, we would also be looking at the Indian Act and disproportionate incarceration rates to highlight that the trauma experienced and placed upon the indigenous peoples does not end at the effects of residential schools.
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
Hi Marcos,
I appreciate your analysis. I especially liked how you asked if we can really blame Saul's mother given the horrors of the residential school system. It led me to think about when Saul goes back to visit the Kelly's close to the end of the novel and Martha says "“It doesn’t have to be sexual to be rape, Saul” (210). That spoke to how deeply broken indigenous persons are after residentials schools and this hurt is intergenerational. For one's culture to be stripped from them, they must lose a sense of pride and dignity along with it. To fill that space it may be easy to align with that is forced on you. I tried to not look on the neglect that Saul's parents showed him but rather where their hurt came from. I don't think Martha intentionally wanted to divert from her traditional ways but it is as you said, she may have been "drained of her humanity" and decided to not fight the odds anymore but to try to exist in it.

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
The strength and leadership of the grandmother, Naomi, is something I truly admired in the novel. Naomi is a respected figure, we see a lot of emphasis on respect for elders, especially the elder women of the family as they had the responsibility to teach and pass on traditions to the younger generations. Naomi is described as the leader of the family, and not Saul’s father – different from what we see in other cultures where men are the leaders of the family. Naomi is introduced to us on page 8 when Saul says, “She was the matriarch of the small band of people I was born to.” As the elder, she had witnessed a lot of things including seeing the now adults of their camp taken when they were children and also saw them return "bearing a sorrow that could not be reached" p.g 9. Naomi is the spiritual leader of the family and in the novel we see how she leads the family to search for food and safety, especially when Benjamin had returned, as she feared that “the white man” would come find him. She believed in the Ojibway and tried to pass on the traditions to her children and grandchildren.

I think Naomi can be seen as the key maternal figure in Saul’s life, this is evident when Saul’s parents leave and never come back. I think she had long assumed the maternal role even when Saul’s mother was alive when she had been grieving the loss of Rachel and Benjamin. Naomi raised Saul when his parents had resulted to alcohol (spirits) and had “died” inside. Naomi took care of Saul by telling him stories, keeping him warm and constantly reassuring him that everything is going to be all right, even when she knew things might never be the same again. “As they eased the canoes out into the shallows, my grandmother pulled me close to her and put a hand on my head” p.g 33. Here it shows her kind nature and strength having lost two grandchildren and now possibly her children as well. I think deep down, as she watched them leave with Benjamin’s body, she knew they would not return but she had to stay strong for Saul. Her death was really heartbreaking as she died doing what she had been doing for all his life, protecting Saul. Her strong relationship with Saul is further portrayed as though without Naomi, Saul did not have protection. We see this soon after Naomi’s death, it is when Saul is taken to St. Jerome’s – the very thing she had tried to protect him from.

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Mucha!

This is such a good analysis. I too agree that Naomi is by far the greatest maternal figure in Saul's life and in the book. If it had not been for her death Saul may have had a very different life. I especially like your thought that Naomi knew deep down that when Saul's parents left, that they would not be returning. I find this interesting and I tend to agree due to the amount of wisdom portrayed through Naomi in the book.

by Jodi McKay -
Saul's family and where he comes from is a very important part of the story-especially when we look at Saul's life later on. Looking at Saul's parents it is clear to see how intergenerational traumas have affected the family-both his mom and dad are residential school survivors and we can see how the effects of that are passed down to the children. A few different things stuck out to be in regards to his mom and dad...
1. Saul talks about how he never felt connected with his parents-both of whom turned to alcohol to cope with their feelings and the loss of two of their children. They were both residential school survivors, so they knew first-hand what was in store for their children. Even though Saul felt afraid of them at times, I believe that the two did the best that they could with what they had.
2. Another part of the book that stuck out is after Ben's passing. Mom and dad are adamant that Ben receive a proper Christian burial-even though Naomi argues against it, stating that they have to follow the traditional Ojibway way. As Paytra stated in her passage, we can see how the residential school had erased Saul's parents culture and identity. One interesting thing that I noticed later on is that both Saul and his siblings have Zhaunagush (white-man) names. This made me wonder if his parents purposely chose those names because they sounded like 'good Christian names' and because their own names had been changed once they entered the schools.

I feel like the reason that they never came back for Saul is because they were too busy trying to cope with everything that had happened-their time in residential school, the loss of their two other children, their struggles with alcohol; so they left Saul with Naomi so that he would be safe. There would have been no way for them to predict what would eventually happen, and at the time, leaving Saul with his grandmother was the best way to protect him and keep him safe.
In reply to Jodi McKay

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Jodi!

I enjoyed reading your analysis! In regard to your first point, I think I remember reading in the book that Saul referred to alcohol as the "white mans spirits". I researched this and it stated that before Europeans came to America, Indigenous people only had weak spirits and it was only used for ceremonial purposes. Therefore settlers introduced this idea of hard liquor and getting drunk to numb the pain. In this respect, settler colonialism took yet another thing away from Saul- his parents through the use of alcohol.
In reply to Jodi McKay

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Hi Jodi!
Great points. I completely agree with you, Saul's parents were affected firstly by their own experiences in residential schools and secondly by the fact that their two children were going to go through what they went through too. On the second point, that's actually a good point you bring up that maybe Saul's parents gave them those names as they were good "Christian" names. I had not thought of it but I see it now. I want to go as far as saying that maybe they new that days like the days Rachel and Benjamin were taken would come and maybe they then gave them the Christian names so that even when they were stripped off everything else, they'll still have the names their parents gave them.

by Jodi McKay -
Hey!

I really really liked the last point you said- " want to go as far as saying that maybe they new that days like the days Rachel and Benjamin were taken would come and maybe they then gave them the Christian names so that even when they were stripped off everything else, they'll still have the names their parents gave them."
I had never thought of it that way, but that is a wonderful point to bring up.

by Mallory Martin -
The impact that residential schools implemented on Saul's family, is something that no one should ever have to face. Slowly throughout the beginning chapters of the book, we see how residential school have taken away so much from Saul's mother and continue to take from her. Not only does she have to live with the trauma of the schools that turned her into an alcoholic, but she also faces the lost of her son after he escapes from the school. Saul's mother is never really shown as a care taker to Saul, more as just a figure who is there. Finally Saul truly loses his parents as they never return from taking his brother to a priest after his passing. Saul's grandmother was always there to take care of him, but now she was all he had left of his family. When she dies trying to get Saul to safety, Saul has finally lost everything. I find this to be one of the most tragic turning points for Saul in the book. We learn at the end of the book that the reason Saul felt so okay with the abuse from father Gaston, was because it made him feel loved, it reminded him of his family. He was okay with being kissed because it reminded him of his grandmother. This breaks my heart, to know that in order to fill the void of the family he has lost, he accepts the abuse, as a form of love. Residential schools took everything from Saul, and caused him a life of pain. This book was extremely difficult to read, but so important to understand the impacts that indigenous people faced and still face.
In reply to Mallory Martin

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hey Mallory! I really like the way you put it out, as I was reading your post, I thought the same thing. Not only his family was taken away from him, but he also lost his innocence because of residential schools. I also feel like it's important to address that it also still his culture in a way, I feel like the book projects it more in small details like the haircutting, and the changing of names, but the part that sticks the most to me is when they went to the river to catch some fish. The smell lingered on their fingers and they kept smelling them to remind them of their lives before residential schools, they were crying in the church because they knew it would never be the same. Their culture was stripped away in 'small' details throughout the book, but it's also very evident.
In reply to Annabelle Ruest

by Brianna Bourgeois -
Hi Mallory, this is a great analysis! Throughout the novel it is clear that the trauma imposed on Saul’s family as a result of Residential schools is extensive. As you mentioned, Saul accepted the abuse from his father because he wanted to fill the void of the family he lost. This was heartbreaking to read, but it represents a very real situation. When faced with so much loss and so much adversity, Saul connected with his father as a way to regain a sense of normalcy away from the trauma that he faced. Like Annabelle mentioned with the scene where the children smelled the fish on their hands, the central theme of assimilation is woven throughout the book through small details. On page 81, Saul states “when your innocence is stripped from you, when your people are denigrated, when the family you came from is denounced and your tribal ways and rituals are pronounced backwards, primitive, savage, you come to see yourself as less than human. That is hell on earth, that sense of unworthiness. That’s what they inflicted on us.” The quotation stuck out to me and I believe that it exemplifies the profound effects that Residential schools had on Indigenous people in Canada.

by Emily Ashton -
The whole time I was reading the early chapters of the book, I was making mental notes of all the ways in which residential schools impacted Saul’s family. For one it impacted their way of living; they constantly had to be living in fear and ready to run when the time came. Even though they had not done anything criminal in action, they became custom to running like a fugitive. Hiding to protect Saul and his brother from being taken to the residential school made a quality life difficult to obtain, but it was better than the alternative.
The way in which Saul and his family lived was affected by residential schools, but residential schools targeted the people in his family to a much greater extent. First, they took his parents, more specifically his mother. His parents became dependent on alcohol to fill the voids that residential schools created. Trauma from residential schools is very present in Saul's mother. Saul often explains his mother as not being fully present and her actions demonstrate the internal trauma the school caused. The school also took all of her children, Saul and his brother Benjamin and sister Rachel. When his brother returned the physical impacts of the school are highlighted in comparison to the internal ones demonstrated by their mother. Benjamin returned malnourished and thin, sick with TB that would ultimately lead to his death. Finally, before taking Saul they took his grandmother. I think that his grandmother dying right before Saul is taken represents the school taking the last person in his family still living an Ojibway life. After the death of Benjamin prior to Saul’s parents leaving, Naomi and Saul's mother argue over the proper way to put Benjamin to rest, their grandmother wanting to lay him to rest in the traditional way with his feet pointing east whereas his mother wanted to follow the procedure of the church. This isn’t the first time that the two had conflict over Saul’s mother talking about the church. I think Saul’s grandmother’s death symbolizes the main goal of residential schools, to end indigenous culture and convert them to the church. She died trying to protect Saul from the same fates of his family. She was the last person in his family who was continuing Ojibway traditions and ways of living and when she died so did Saul’s connection within his family to his Ojibway roots.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Hi Emily! This is a great analysis. I was making mental notes too as I don't think I had a full grasp of the impacts residential schools had on families. Reading it from someone who experienced it (even though it was a fictional character) makes all the difference as I found the novel to be raw and pure in its portrayal of residential schools. You are right, Saul's family is broken up by residential schools. All the issues they face is due to the existence of residential schools. This includes how Saul's parents were never really 'parents' to him as they grieved the loss of their other two children, the fact that they constantly lived in fear of the day more children would be taken, Saul's parents leaving and never coming back, Naomi's death and the fact that Saul is taken to St. Jerome's, where he is faced with a lot of challenges. All these events are caused by the existence of residential schools, whether directly or indirectly. So many parts of the novel left me really heartbroken including in the beginning when Wagamese describes how Saul's mother had "a tent of skin over her bones" pg 11. That really showed me how residential schools affected Indigenous families.

by Emily Ashton -
I agree, I have learned a lot about residential school and intergenerational trauma but I feel like I learned more about how much it can individually affect each person while reading this novel, even though the characters are fictional. I also found it heartbreaking, there were a few times when reading the novel, (especially in the beginning and seeing how the long-term effects of residential school impacted Sauls family) that made my heart really heavy.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Kryssonia Wedderburn -
Hi Emily,
Great analysis. You led me to think of something I was not focusing on before, what the death of Naomi symbolized. I agree with you on her death symbolizing the end to indigenous culture. She stood as the matriarchal head was trusted by many to guide. I thought about the importance of oral history when I read your analysis. Saul's grandmother was trusted for her wisdom and was looked on to lead traditions, therefore she would have a wealth of knowledge about their culture. The end to her life is as if there is an end to the culture. Typically also, the elderly are set in their ways and less likely to change from this. The effects of residential school removing such a firm figure in the Ojibway life is as removing one of the biggest obstacles to achieving its goal.

by Mary Gannon -
It is hard to follow the childhood of Saul because the only consistency seems to be his instability. Despite her best efforts, Saul’s grandmother couldn’t help him evade residential schools. Saul’s siblings were picked off all but promising he was next, and his parents abandoned him in what became the last piece of the puzzle that sent him off to residential school.

I think the most interesting relationship is that which Saul shares with his Grandmother. She is a vital presence to Saul’s ancestry. We see this when Saul’s grandmother is the only one who attempts to nurture his visions and encourage Saul to embrace his heritage. Despite the advantage of knowing “Zhaunagush”, I think the persistence Saul’s grandmother possessed towards his heritage, in making sure Saul knew where he came from, was an important element in Saul going through the residential school system.