Whole Class: Indian Horse Discussions

BIPOC Own voices lit

BIPOC Own voices lit

by Sara Lamk Saavedra -
Number of replies: 1

Indian Horse is a novel that made a huge impact on me. I had seen the movie twice before, and yet the book holds power in a whole other dimension. Is not only about the story and the content, but I was also in awe of Wagamese's talent and prose. I deeply believe this is a book that should be mandatory in school curriculums in all of Canada. I know this only came out in 2012, and could not be considered a classic, therefore, in the lenses of colonized education not as important. I personally disagree, as this book holds so much history, relevance, and literature richness. 

I think is important for schools around the world to start de-colonizing the education systems and start bringing highlight to BIPOC stories and educators. Going through blog posts of the usual top 12 books required to read in high schools in Canada, encountering To Kill a Mockingbird, made me reflect a lot. I have read TKAM more than 4 times, I believe is a novel that holds a lot of power and lessons, yet there is a part in me that shakes in disappointment that education and the world puts a book on racism by a white author in higher regard and pedestal than trying to seek accounts from actual BIPOC people. 

In reply to Sara Lamk Saavedra

Re: BIPOC Own voices lit

by Ashley Swaby -
Hi
Agreed. There are so many movies and novels that seem to celebration the destruction of other peoples culture and lives. Films celebrating the taming of Indigenous peoples as though they did not live in well organized community. Indigenous people needed no intervention or savior.
It is so interesting that racism is not discussed in classroom out of fear for offending or because teachers do not have the right approach but novels depicting racism are celebrated. I know for myself, that it makes me sick to see black people shown historically as slaves and Indigenous peoples depicted as bush people. They were and are so much more than those things.