Whole Class: Introductions

Hilary Foster

Hilary Foster

by Hilary Foster -
Number of replies: 12

Hello Everyone! 

My name is Hilary Foster and I am in my fourth year at STU. I am majoring in history and minoring in STS, sociology and human rights! I am in Fredericton for the school year but I am from Riverview, NB. I am very excited for this course and chose to take it as I believe it is a perfect mix of all my academic interests. 

I am interested in gardening, reading and taking care of my many houseplants! This summer I started my own vegetable and herb gardens and was successful in growing cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapeños, basil, Thai basil, dill and sugar snap peas! 

I am looking forward to this semester and working with all of you in an online format. Thank you for reading! :) 

In reply to Hilary Foster

Re: Hilary Foster

by Mary Gannon -
Hi Hilary,

I am also in my fourth year. Though I am not majoring in history I have taken a few courses which were very interesting and I may decide to minor!

I have never had a garden myself as I am from Toronto and I do not have any space, however it is very interesting to me. What did you find grew best in the New Brunswick environment?
In reply to Mary Gannon

by Hilary Foster -
Hey Mary! My cucumbers and basil grew best! The plants were so massive it was difficult to keep up with them lol!! :)

by Emily Ashton -
Hey! I am also from Riverview (technically Salisbury but I went to RHS) My family is all big gardeners but unfortunately I don't have a green thumb so I stick to plants that are hard to kill and yet still managed to mess it up most times haha, something I'm hoping to get better at.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Hilary Foster -
hey there!!! what a small world! house plants need alot less care than you would typically think!!

by Anna Sirois -
Hi Hilary!

I am terrible at keeping houseplants alive, so maybe you can share some of your secrets with me. However, I have a snake plant that has now lasted a year! It grew so big by April this year I split it into five separate plants. Now I am the proud owner of five healthy (enough) plants, and they decorate my apartment living room :)
In reply to Anna Sirois

by Hilary Foster -
Hey Anna! I am always down to discuss house plants and care tips so don't hesitate to ask!! :) Snake plants are beautiful!

by Brianna Bourgeois -
Hi Hilary, I am also from Riverview! I started both a vegetable and herb garden this summer as well. With it being such a hot summer, it was hard at times to keep up with all of the plants as they grew so fast, but it was rewarding to have so many fresh vegetables and herbs at the end of the season!
In reply to Brianna Bourgeois

by Hilary Foster -
Hi Brianna! That is cool! It is fun to see all the people from Riverview in my classes! Gardens are so time consuming but so worth it! I agree it is so rewarding to see all the herbs and veggies, this summer I made bread and butter and dill pickles because I had so many cucumbers!

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Hi Hilary,

Welcome to the course. I am also very excited for it. I have selected some amazing novels for us to read and discuss.
I tried gardening and only the tomatoes turned out. So, i'm envious of your talents, but I will try again another year.

by Dillon Caldwell-Bezanson -
Hi Hilary!

I love taking care of house plants... and I try not to kill them but it doesn't always go as planned...

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hi Hilary,
I am impressed with your gardening skills. I can't even keep a cactus alive for more than a month. Please teach me your ways!! *insert praising hands emoji*

by Dorcas Tshimenga -
Hey Hilary,
its nice to meet you, I just started collecting a few house plants myself! I would love any tips or tricks when it come to taking of them!

Dorcas