Whole Class: Introductions

Introduction

Introduction

by Ayanna Waite -
Number of replies: 10

Hi Everyone!!

My name is Ayanna Waite, I am a second year international student from the sunny and vibrant island of Jamaica ( Montego Bay, the tourist capital to be exact :) ). I plan on majoring in Human Rights and Political Science with a concentration in IR. 

I love exploring and  learning about people and what makes us different but similar. Which is fitting as where i am from can be considered a real melting pot of cultures (our motto is out of many one people, as you can tell i love my island very much lol). I love all art forms but my favourite is  poetry.

I chose this class because i would love to learn how to combat some of the injustices i see and also face because of being black in our world today and what better way to do so if not through literature!

In reply to Ayanna Waite

Re: Introduction

by Katherine Johnson -
Hi Ayanna! It sounds like you have a really cool degree. I also love learning about people and originally came here looking into Anthropology for that reason, but I ended up a Human Rights major instead!
I hope you were able to visit home this summer or are there right now. You'll have to send us all some pictures this winter so we can remember what the sun looks like!
In reply to Katherine Johnson

by Ayanna Waite -
Omg yes I did get to go home !! Thank you for asking :) I don't know how i am going to survive this winter. I already miss the heat, My friends, family and the beaches :(
In reply to Ayanna Waite

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Hello Ayanna! I am so pleased you were able to enroll in this course! Did I ever tell you I went to Montego Bay? I did all the cheesy tourist stuff while there, too. I swam with dolphins and walked up a huge terrifying waterfall! I also went to a street market that clearly catered to the many tourists. I'm so basic, but it was wonderful. And very beautiful.
In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

by Ayanna Waite -
Hey Dr. DiPaolo !!! I am so happy that I got to enroll too, we both know I have been looking forward to it :) Omg No you didn't tell me. I'm glad that you got to see where i am from even if it is all the touristy stuff :). You don't even know how happy it makes me hearing that you had a good experience!
In reply to Ayanna Waite

by Joshua Paul -
Hi Ayanna, my parents went to Jamaica a few years back (left me home of course) but they said it was beautiful and they want to go back so bad! Im hoping next time I get to go!
In reply to Joshua Paul

by Ayanna Waite -
I'm glad they had a great time!! You should definitely try to go next time. It really is an experience that most people love!
In reply to Ayanna Waite

by Nicole Leary -
Hi Ayanna, I also really enjoy poetry, a favourite of mine is Rupi Kaur. Who are some of your favourite poets? I'd love some recommendations.
In reply to Ayanna Waite

by Ashley Swaby -
Hey Ayanna

Super excited to see another Jamaican student here. I look forward to interacting with with you this semester.