Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Not fully convinced

Not fully convinced

by Emily Ashton -
Number of replies: 3

I am not fully convinced by Hunts hypothesis that novel reading created human rights and new social movements. Where I do agree is that novels are a source of learning or influencing empathy. This connection is especially influential when the reader is able to develop a sense of ‘self’ or ‘friendship’ with the characters in the novel. When reading novels with a strong character connection, such as in the way epistolary novels are designed to be, it’s easier to feel as though you're experiencing the character's struggles directly. I think this is enough to influence empathy or inspire people, but I do not believe that empathy from novels was enough to instill drastic social and cultural changes as Hunt argues. I understand the connection Hunt is trying to make and think there is importance in gaining empathy from novels, but the final argument to me feels like a stretch. 

I especially do not agree with the statement of novels created a sense of equality. I think the typical everyday character that Hunt describes allows a wide range of people to feel a connection, but I think that connection may merely inspire new emotions, don’t believe it is enough motivation, especially in the elite status, to force change. 

In reply to Emily Ashton

Re: Not fully convinced

by Minahil Fatima -
I fully agree with what you're saying. The idea that the notion of equality and feelings of egalitarianism arose because a bunch of rich people read a book where letters were exchanged between those of lower social classes is very much a stretch.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Emily!

I agree with what you said regarding building a connection with the characters in novels. I often find I cannot put books down for this reason. I become too attached to the characters and when things "go wrong" for them, I even find myself getting upset and it influences my mood. I also agree that this does create empathy in people however it is probably not enough to create a drastic social change! After more reflection on this topic I feel that much more was required to birth human rights, not just mere novels.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Brianna Bourgeois -
I agree with your points! I think that yes, individuals were able to connect with the characters in the novel by forming connections to their own lives but I struggle to accept Hunts claim that novels helped to establish a new social order. If novels truly helped to create social change as Hunt suggest, then why do we continue to see the ruling elite exploit the lower class in order to maintain power?