Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Not 100% Convinced, but Can Spot a Connection

Not 100% Convinced, but Can Spot a Connection

by Jodi McKay -
Number of replies: 2

While I don't know if I am 100% sure of the connection (just yet, my opinion my change as the semester continues), Hunt's argument is very convincing. I think empathy can be built through novels, to an extent. Like Hunt mentioned, through these books, different social barriers are broken down and examined. To an average, 'normal' person, these stories and characters are relatable. People who have shared experiences are going to have a lot more empathy towards each other and these novels help show us. 

However, I do not agree with Hunt that what we learn through these novels can be transferred to elite groups. I personally believe that power, money and peer pressure will always (unfortunately) win over empathy and compassion. We see this in today's world and we can see examples of it during the past. 

While empathy gained from novels may not be enough to convince the elite groups (who are not directly affected by the same issues are the common-folk), it appears to be a driving factor in our everyday world. 

In reply to Jodi McKay

Re: Not 100% Convinced, but Can Spot a Connection

by Anna Sirois -
I agree with you that more often than not, people in power usually makes their decisions and policies around aspects other than empathy towards others. It certainly is a driving factor. I am interested to learn more about the link between these people in power and the influence ordinary people or popular novels may have had on them in their decision making.
In reply to Jodi McKay

Re: Not 100% Convinced, but Can Spot a Connection

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Jodi!

I find what you said regarding "power, money, and peer pressure" especially interesting. I sadly agree with you that above all, no matter how empathetic a person may feel to another, if there is a more prominent driving factor such as peer pressure or status, that individual may not help the other the way they might if these other variables and structures were not present.