Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Somewhat Convinced

Somewhat Convinced

by Tristan Rampersaud -
Number of replies: 3

I agree with Hunt's hypothesis to a certain extent. I think when a reader sees a part of themselves or can make a few connections to the characters of a novel there is some empathy that builds. A lot of the time this is why readers have favorite characters because thy can relate to these characters. Novels and other written media have been tools in convincing and inspiring readers. An example of novels being used to convince and build empathy with readers would be propaganda (not saying human rights is propaganda), but this is an example of readers being inspired and building empathy. Novels have proven to be a useful tool in empathy and I believe they have had a role to play in human rights.

However, I do not think that these novels have been one of the biggest factors in human rights. If these novels never came out I think that there still would be human rights. I also think that now with the use of social media and technology that today's novels play an even smaller role in human rights. The epistolary novels from the 18th century have had a larger impact on human rights than the novels we have had recently. I do not see this as a problem as it seems to me people are just building empathy and a passion for human rights outside of novels and using multiple resources. 

In reply to Tristan Rampersaud

Re: Somewhat Convinced

by Emily Ashton -
I think you made a good point about technology, we are constantly being exposed to technology and through social media, things can be shared and commented on in the span of seconds. so I definitely think that in modern society is more likely to gain more empathy or knowledge on human rights issues through technology than novels, for the most part.

by Brianna Bourgeois -
I agree that without these novels, human rights would have still advanced though, I do think that the novels may have helped to motivate citizens to fight for human rights. Particularly in the eighteenth century, before the rise of technology, novels served as an important outlet for individuals to empathize with the characters and discover that we are all fundamentally the same. As technology has become central to our everyday lives, it provides a means for one to gain empathy by reading articles, or viewing posts on social media pertaining to a certain issue. With the convenience of technology, I also agree that novels may play a smaller role in human rights now than in the past.

by Emily Green -
Hi Tristan,

I think you bring up an interesting point about social media and technology and I agree that empathy develops from a variety of sources. Now that individuals have the ability to uncover shared experiences and connect with the stories of others through social media, the epistolary novel may be losing its effect on the advancement of human rights.