Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Somewhat convinced, but... So here's my POV.

Somewhat convinced, but... So here's my POV.

by Annabelle Ruest -
Number of replies: 2

I somewhat agree with Hunt's argument that people will feel more empathy towards another based on their life experiences and how they can relate to those experiences. Everyday we encounter situations (by reading books like she said or even watching TV for people who aren't big readers) where we feel empathy for characters and we, in a way, identify ourselves with the characters. I think this is where I defer from some other people, I'm not arguing that there would've never been a fight for human rights if there would have never been novels written that built empathy towards others, but I feel like the fact that people could finally see a world where the ordinary people were finally winning against 'rich or elite Joe' they saw it possible in their own lives and they could imagine themselves in those situation. Which is what in my opinion boosted the fight for human rights, or made it happened quicker. Those novels probably aren't as practical today since we have the technology, to empathize with real people all around the world who are living similar, yet very different lives from us. I personally don't think the elite are using empathy when it comes to fighting for human rights, of course there are some exceptions where the elite uses their platforms to influence others and donating to help for the fight of human rights. The elite like Trump on the other hand are people who want to accumulate wealth to an unnecessary level, they're doing it for the power that they can get and the fear they can create in people. I'm not saying all elites are untouchable with empathy, I'm just saying some are being a lot more selfish than others and they're ready to let people die and suffer because they want the money and they want all the power they can get.

In reply to Annabelle Ruest

Re: Somewhat convinced, but... So here's my POV.

by Brianna Bourgeois -
I think that your point about individuals seeing change possible through the depictions of ordinary people winning against the elite, is really important. I agree that the human rights movement may have occurred without the rise of the epistolary novel, but I also believe that it helped to facilitate the fight during the eighteenth century. Because these people finally saw themselves represented as having power, it provided them with the motivation to advocate for change.
In reply to Annabelle Ruest

Re: Somewhat convinced, but... So here's my POV.

by Sarah Hetherington -
I like your point about how today with technology we can see stories of real people struggling all over the world. Someone else related the novels of the past to movies today, but it is also interesting to remember that we have a lot more access now to real life stories not just fictional ones.