Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Number of replies: 1

Lynn Hunt raised some points that I was able to agree with and some that I did not fully understand. This all left me on the fence.

Reading novels that insite empathy is not new. Often times people describe this as 'being lost in the book' kind of feeling - this almost goes as far as making the reader feel as though they are in that very situation at that very time. Novels allow the reader to have a first and experience, which I see the connection that Lynn is supposedly making, that if people are put in someone else's shoes, they understand and respond better. People are then able to relate and equate the experiences to the real world and to real world problems. I do believe and accept the notion that, for example, in prosecuting and committing wrong doings, we should all remember that those affected are just like anyone else, human.

I do not believe it is that easy though, and I don't think that is what Lynn is eluding, that one can read and book and be convinced to change the world etc. I do not think empathy is something that can be developed by reading a book. I do believe it takes so much more than that including the way people are raised and the experiences of their lives - direct or indirect. There are definitely a lot of factors involved. It certainly takes a lot for someone to read that one book and have it change their lives and have them wanting to change everyone else's life - I know this is not what Lynn is saying per se but that is what her points have me thinking. Maybe I am too cynical but I am not sure if humans can be trusted to read a book and have them resonate so much with it to an extent that they want to apply it. A book for many, is something they read and put away to collect dust. Never to be thought of again so I am not sure if truly, empathy can be learned and practiced efficiently this way.

I do believe empathy does play a role in human rights, I'm just not sure if the empathy supposedly gotten from reading novels sparks as much empathy - I also recognize that there is no way of measuring if someone has the 'enough' empathy needed.

In reply to Muchaneta Nyambuya

Re: Are you convinced?

by Paytra Waibel -
Hey Mucha!

I am in total agreement with you and after reading your response I have a lot to think about! I think that you are correct in saying that it takes a lot more than simply reading a book to create empathy in a person. I also find it hardly plausible that empathy simply did not exist before the birth of novels. I'm sure if we look back through history there have always been empathetic people, maybe not as many, but I am sure it was always a present trait.
I also like what you said about not being able to trust people to simply read a book and expect their reactions to be so ideal and purposeful and your part about not knowing how to truly measure the right amount of empathy! Very insightful!!