Whole Class Discussion: Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

Are you convinced?

by Mallory Martin -
Number of replies: 1

Hunt's Hypothesis is very powerful, when considering how novel's are a good way to build empathy. Hunt makes strong arguments as to novel's allowing  people to finally be able to step into someone else's shoes. When you are reading a novel, you too become invested in the main characters life. Sometimes we are so intrigued by a novel, that we take on the role of the main character as we read. Depending on how strong the novel is, and how open minded we are, a good novel can truly change ones perspective. Hunt makes this a point, that readers were now given an opportunity to empathize with characters. Sadly, I believe that for the most part, the empathy felt through the novel would only last so long, until people return to their lives, and do not have any desire to fight for the rights of others. 

Although I think Hunt makes a great statement of how empathy can be gained from novels, I do not fully agree that it was the root for the growth of human rights. Yes, novels likely played a big roll In educating people and gainIng their empathy. This would partially lead to the development of human rights, but I do not agree that it was the main reason. I think many factors are included in how human rights were developed. 

Overall Hunt's hypothesis has opened my mind to how powerful novels are. I am not entirely convinced either way whether her hypothesis is 100% accurate, but it does raise strong points.

In reply to Mallory Martin

Re: Are you convinced?

by Sarah Hetherington -
I agree that I am not fully convinced of her hypothesis. I really like the point you bring up about the fact that novels do build empathy but perhaps only for so long before it is is forgotten again. I think thats true that sometimes the feelings of a novel only last so long, and I hadn't thought of that.