Noticeboard

Close reading participation

Close reading participation

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Number of replies: 0

Dear reading enthusiasts,

I love the discussions happening in the whole class discussion forum. It is evident that discussion boards offer a very inclusive means for all individuals to be fully engaged in course material. 

I do, however, want to point out that the close reading work needs to be shared among group members. This means that you all need to be engaged when someone starts the group off for the session. 

It is not adequate course participation and engagement to waltz in at the last minute while ignoring the group comments for days. It is very important to check in to make sure you are up to date and to follow the small group feed so you get notifications. Obviously you are not expected to respond within an hour or two. Some of us have 12 hour time differences after all! But if a string of messages is sent over a few days and you wait until 24 hrs before an assignment is due to get on board after everyone else has done all the work, you are not being a team player.

What I am trying to say is be nice and respectful to all members of your group. Be respectful of everyone's time and effort. And remember, this is your grade we are talking about and you will not get credit if you are not participating. 

Of course if there is a reason for your absence from group work, please let me know via email. Shit happens. But I need to be made aware that there is a reason for non participation. 

On a lighter note, I hope everyone loved the book as much as I did and I can't wait to involve myself in the discussions (it is good teaching practice to wait a bit and allow students to control the narrative before interjecting my voice because studies show once the prof chimes in, it often is seen as the definitive word on the situation and no one else replies).

Warmest regards,

AD