Whole Class: Introductions

Introduction

Introduction

by Minahil Fatima -
Number of replies: 15

Hello everyone!

My name is Minahil Fatima and I am a 2nd-year international student from Lahore, Pakistan. I plan on majoring in IR and PoliSci with hopefully a minor in Human Rights. I love watching superhero films (my loyalties lie with MARVEL!) and learning about different cultures and languages. I am fluent in 4 languages and I'm working towards my 5th and 6th. I can also sign! 

Being regularly stopped by airport security for no valid reason is probably why I am interested in the field of human rights. 

Looking forward to taking this course with y'all!

In reply to Minahil Fatima

Re: Introduction

by Ellen MacDonald -
Hello Minahil,
My name is Ellen and I am a recent superhero film fan, so if you have suggestions please feel free to send them my way! I am inspired by your knowledge of so many languages as I am English speaking only but am currently going into my second year or beginner Spanish and have always wanted to learn a language other than English. Learning to sign is so important, go you!
I am sorry for your experiences at the airport, and am interested in Human Rights to be an ally.
In reply to Ellen MacDonald

by Minahil Fatima -
I'd suggest just diving headfirst and watching all the MCU films in order. They really are amazing (except for maybe The Incredible Hulk, you can skip that one!) And it is so cool that you're learning Spanish. It is definitely on my list!

And thank you!

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
That really sucks Minahil about your airport experience. Your experiences with Human Rights abuses will definitely make you a stronger ally and activist.
I currently only know English and French super well but I practiced sign in high school a little and I am trying to learn German and Spanish also.
In reply to Jessie-Lynn Cross

by Minahil Fatima -
Hopefully, sometime in the near future, we all can make a difference and change the way things are now!

I have always wanted to learn French and was actually planning on going to France for my undergrad. German as far as I know is super tough so kudos to you for trying!

by Mary Gannon -
Hi Minahil,

My name is Mary Gannon. I speak English and French and I am working on Spanish - four languages is impressive! I also spent a little bit of time in Pakistan last summer and I got to explore Lahore - it's such a beautiful city with so much history.

When I travelled I did not have to deal with your struggles but hopefully our studies in human rights can change that.
In reply to Mary Gannon

by Minahil Fatima -
Ok, first of all, I would just like to say that I am so happy you've been to Pakistan and seen Lahore because it really is amazing! I wish I had known you last summer, I could have been your unofficial tour guide!

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Hi Minahil,

So nice to meet you! I love Marvel movies, too! I also love the comic Watchmen, though it is DC. Your experience with human rights abuses at the airport is awful. I'm sorry to hear it. IR and HMRT go hand-in-hand. We have a lot of cross-over students. Welcome to the course.
In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

by Minahil Fatima -
Thank you, Professor!

I did not know about Watchmen so I will definitely look into it. I am always on the hunt for new things to watch and read so this course is going to be perfect!

by Emily Ashton -
I am very interested in learning ASL, I find it slightly difficult as I don't have anyone in my life who knows ASL to practice with, if you have any tips for learning id love to hear them:) Im so sorry to hear about your experience in airports.
In reply to Emily Ashton

by Minahil Fatima -
That is so cool to hear!

I know a regional version of Pakistan Sign Language due to the fact that my aunt primarily uses it as her mode of communication. I grew up with her and sort of just learned it naturally. I wish I had some tips but I will say that practicing helps quite a lot!

by Paytra Waibel -
Hello Minahil!

Wow 4 languages and you're working on 5 and 6?! That is incredible! I thought I was doing well being bilingual in French and English but you take the win on that one! Good for you! Languages are SO important and SO interesting! I have also always wanted to learn how too sign! Good luck this semester!
In reply to Paytra Waibel

by Minahil Fatima -
Aw! Thank you so much! Though much of the credit goes to my parents.

Good luck to you too!

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hi Minahil!!
I am so sorry you have to deal with that at the airports I think it's outrageous and a lot of change needs to be done in the system as well as with some individuals.
On a lighter note, I am also a big fan of the Marvel movies. Iron Man is my favourite and he will always have a special place in my heart! Which one is your favourite?
I was born speaking French and started learning English at 4 years old, mostly through songs, I am now slowly trying to learn Spanish!
It's very nice to meet you and good luck in all your classes including this one!! :)
In reply to Annabelle Ruest

by Minahil Fatima -
I have a soft spot for Captian America but honestly, I am a huge fan of Iron Man as well!

And that is so cool to hear! I learned a lot of English through songs as well!

by Annabelle Ruest -
I think songs are the best way to start, and often it's easier to learn because of the melody and the beat. :)