Whole Class: Introductions

Annabelle Ruest

Annabelle Ruest

by Annabelle Ruest -
Number of replies: 8

Hi everyone,

My name is Annabelle (she-her), I’m originally from Edmundston, NB, but I currently live with my parents in Québec City where they recently moved. I am in my fourth year at St. Thomas and I am double majoring in Human Rights and Criminology with a minor in Philosophy. I slowly took human rights classes my first being with Dr. DiPaolo, and it is now my favourite topic in university and I know for sure that I want to pursue a career in the field. I chose to take this course because I love reading about topics that I am passionate about, and I figured this would be a great class for me. The more I learn about human rights, the more I feel inclined to share my knowledge about rights that we often take for granted or to speak out about injustices in the world to try and educate my family members. My grandmother is my go to person since she loves learning new things and seeing new perspectives. I would say my biggest hobby, alongside watching TikTok videos for hours, and petting my cat Toby, would be to keep bettering myself and taking some step backs when I feel overwhelmed so my mental health stays in check. I also like going for long walks and the Old Québec scenery helps a lot with that.

In reply to Annabelle Ruest

Re: Annabelle Ruest

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Hi Annabelle,

It is great to have you in another class of mine before your graduate! Woot! Woot! I'm happy to hear you are taking steps to take care of yourself when that is needed. Mental health is so important and I hope that I, too, can do the same. This semester is sure to get hectic for us all with everything being online. I also think it is awesome that you are talking about human rights with other people in your life. That is amazing! And that makes you a human rights advocate!!

by Megan MacGregor -
Hi Annabelle,

It sounds like we have a lot in common! How are you liking Quebec City and what is your favourite spot in the historic part of the city? Mental health is super important for me as well, I love watching old movies and baking!
Excited to meet you!

-Meg
In reply to Megan MacGregor

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hey Megan!! I love the city!! It's amazing, I do love the history but especially the citadel which I am planning on visiting again eventually!! I also love baking, but I hate doing the dishes ahah!:)

by Marcos Edgar -
Annabelle,

I totally get what you mean with human rights slowly becoming your favourite topic. My first human rights class was sort of accidental, then Dr. D reeled me in and I'm majoring in it now. My dream human rights job is to be a UN special rapporteur, but I learned from Dr. Szurlej that they actually aren't paid positions, so guess I need to get rich first.

Mark
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
Hey Annabelle!
Had no idea you moved back with your parents after seeing you in Freddie the summer. Hope your self-isolation wasn't too rough. I loove Quebec City and think it is absolutely beautiful. The most European and romantic city in all of Canada (and debatably North America). There was an article that came out last year claiming it was the most visited tourist spot in all of Canada for 2019. Can't wait to go back for a third trip! Wishing you all the best this semester. Stay safe/healthy :)
In reply to Jessie-Lynn Cross

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hey Jessie,
It was kind of a rough decision actually, but I guess everything happens for a reason. Also Québec is very different from other provinces, because the border to the province is still open for other Canadian provinces you don't have to self isolate when you arrive. If I was to go back to NB that's when I would have to self-isolate. I thought it was weird and I looked into it, but when you look at the Covid-19 regulations for Québec everyone coming from a Canadian province does not have to self isolate in Québec unless you would be crossing the national boarder, which I didn't have to do. This is what the regulations were when I moved here. Trust me I was as shocked as you. They do want people to limit unnecessary travels though and the regulations are different from province to province of course.

by Annabelle Ruest -
This is the link about the Quebec travels:

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/instructions-for-travellers-covid19/

There is a lot more regulations but those are specific for travels, but to give you an idea, masks are mandatory everywhere, testing recommended and there are drop in testing stations where you don't need an appointment to go to.

There are more information on the Québec Government website if that interest you.
In reply to Marcos Edgar

by Annabelle Ruest -
Hi Mark!

I get that!! There's a lot of things I would like to do but unfortunately they don't necessarily pay, or they don't pay enough to give a decent living. I think I'm mostly gonna work on those as a hobby, but I think I want to work either with children, older adults. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, but I guess I have all of my life to figure that out and as long as I love what I do I'm good. :)

Annabelle