Whole Class: Introductions

Introduction

Introduction

by Ellen MacDonald -
Number of replies: 11

Hello Everyone, 

My name is Ellen MacDonald and I am a second year student here at STU. My hobbies include weight lifting, yoga, meditation, eating, adventuring, exploring abandoned places and being surrounded by great people! 

I am from a small town in Nova Scotia and chose STU because I found it was the best for me, small and friendly. During my first semester in first year I thought I wouldn't be coming back due to being homesick, but soon grew to love the city and the people in it and I couldn't be happier. Currently I am open major, but have had a strong passion for human rights since I can remember. There is still so much justice to be served, even here in Fredricton and all around us, so for right now I am thankful to participate in this course to further my knowledge, fight for what is right and to stand as an ally for others.

Thanks for reading, stay safe, take care and good luck with this new normal:) 

In reply to Ellen MacDonald

Re: Introduction

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
I love yoga so much! Last semester, STU offered yoga twice a week at our gym which was what kept my sanity intact. Going to the gym, yoga, meditating and walking/hiking are activities that help me feel less stressed. I also enjoy going to abandoned places with my friends for photoshoots - such a fun pastime.
I really wish you the best of luck in this course! Stay safe and healthy :)

by Hilary Foster -
Hey Ellen!!
I came to STU thinking I would major in English but have grown to love the human rights program! I love your passion for justice and think pursuing human rights in my few years at STU was such an amazing decision!!
While I do not lift weights, I also love yoga and eating (lol). I look forward to getting to know you and everyone on an online platform! Stay safe :)

by Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien -
Hi Ellen,

Happy to have you in the course! I also love weight lifting. During the quarantine, I have set up a little home gym but I really need 15# dumbbells and cannot find them anywhere. I've been looking for months! I needed to jump from 12 to 20. Ouch!

I'm happy to hear that you stayed in Fredericton and are now enjoying our nice town and STU. The campus community has so much to offer.

Human Rights makes a great major and I highly recommend it! If you ever want to chat about your future plans, and what majors would be suitable to meet those goals, just sign up for my virtual office hours!

Welcome to the course!
In reply to Amanda DiPaolo O'Brien

by Jessie-Lynn Cross -
Speaking as an ex-employee of Walmart, the store was out of 15 lbs dumbbells like ALL Summer due to COVID preventing a lot of stock from coming. I assume this happened for most other places as well. My best advice (if you have a scale) is to fill water bottles or jugs with water - depending on the exercise you're going for. Sand or gravel or rocks are other filler options.

by Emily Davis -
Also a huge yoga fan! I love going to Modo downtown to start my mornings on the weekends, I definitely recommend it if you haven't checked it out! Also going to abandoned places sounds right up my alley and something I'd love to do with friends.
Stay safe!

by Paytra Waibel -
Hello Ellen!

I am so glad you decided to stay at STU, it really is a great school! Also, I too love to explore and adventure, there is nothing more fun or entertaining! Good luck this semester!

by Emily Ashton -
Hi Ellen, I also love exploring& going on adventures. Last year I did not have a car at school with me so I didn't get a chance to go to very many places in Fredericton, if you have any suggestions of places to check out I'd love to hear them!

by Nicole Leary -
Hi Ellen, I'm also from a small town in Nova Scotia (there are quite a few after all). I definitely get the homesickness feeling, going from a small town to city is super weird and the distance from home does not make it any easier. I definitely recommend a human rights major, I'm in my 4th year and have no regrets!

by Muchaneta Nyambuya -
Hi Ellen! Nice to meet you! OMG I love yoga too. It is something I picked up this summer and found it so helpful. What do you use? Yoga apps/ Youtube? Haven't really found a specific app or Youtube video, there are so many apps to choose from. Let me know if you have any recommendations :)

Stay safe too! and have a good school year!!!
In reply to Muchaneta Nyambuya

by Ellen MacDonald -
Yoga with Adrienne all the way. I love her videos and find them so easy to follow, you can find her on youtube. Last year STU had free yoga classes twice a week as well, I know these won't be in place this semester but in the following semesters definitely keep a lookout for information on that.
Enjoy!